• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zerli

Captain
6 Badges
Jul 1, 2003
www.ecst.csuchico.edu
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Majesty 2
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
CORE BASIC FRAMEWORK PROPOSAL

Greetings everyone.

As someone who had only discovered HoI about 6 months ago, and CORE not much later, while it was still in the 0.2 version, I must say I am greatly impressed by both Paradox's original game, and the terrific mod the community has made out of CORE. We've gone a long way, and already have something worth playing over and over.

However, at this point I think CORE needs a basic framework that would state our goals, our methods, our means of coordination, and our agreed-upon background. Basicaly, we need a mission statement. We have already grown to the point where catch-as-you-can approach is failing on some very basic issues, like balancing tech tree, ICs, natural resources, province layout, etc. I'd like to start a discussion whose goal is to hammer a mission statement together, in time for the v0.6 release.

I've made a basic draft of that document, so here it goes:

CORE BASIC FRAMEWORK AND MISSION STATEMENT

1. Community Open Resource Exchange, or CORE for short, is a mod for Hearts of Iron, by Paradox Entertainment, a strategic simulation of WWII. It is built by the community, with the community, for the community of HoI gamers and general public.
1.1. Since CORE has no formal organisation, it will be built by the general consensus of the community.
1.2. CORE spans the time period from 1936 to 1947.

2. The goals of CORE mod are as follows:
2.1. Simulate the starting economic, military, and political conditions in the world at the beginning of scenario, year 1936, geared for the normal level of difficulty and normal level of AI aggresion.
2.2. Enrich the vanilla HoI with events, unit types, names, leaders, and other historic details to create a more interesting game, one more "in the spirit of the times".
2.3. Tinker with game variables of HoI to create a realistic WWII simulation; that is, make it so that WWII generally follows its expected flow and has its expected outcome in majority of hands-off games.
2.4. Make CORE playable and fun by as many countries as possible.
2.5. Create a challenge for even the most experienced players, without losing the historical flavor.

3. All other considerations aside, CORE aims to build a more enjoyable, more playable, and more fun HoI then HoI itself. If we start to stray into unplayable, boring, and silly things, we will remember and slap ourselves in the face... ;-)

4. To allow for a realistic simulation of WWII, many factors must be taken into account. The most important of these are the distribution of IC, natural resources, and technology modifying those. The following categories must be observed:
4.1. The general amount of IC available to a country will be determined based on the GDP of that country at the beginning of scenario.
4.2. The flow of IC changes to a country during the duration of the scenario will try to model the historical change of GDP during that period, where that information is available.
4.3. The distribution of IC within provinces will be determined by historical sources, where available, and by common sense, where information is lacking.
4.4. The 4 natural resources in CORE will be used to represent the following:
4.4.1. Coal represents all coal reserves, and all similar fuels, such as wood and charcoal.
4.4.2. Steel represents steel and all other common metals, used in industry.
4.4.3. Oil represents petroleum reserves and sources.
4.4.4. Rubber represents all other, exotic, valuable industrial substances, minerals, and materials.
4.5. Supplies will represent all expendable war material, including food, ammunition, clothing, small equipment, spare parts, and other miscellaneous objects.
4.6. Supplies will also represent all other miscellaneous forms of wealth, such as gold and silver reserves, precious gems, tradeable luxuries such as spices, and coffee.
4.7. IC and natural resources should be balanced in such a way that computer AI can reasonably be expected to follow the historical GDP numbers, even for small countries.
4.8. The consumer goods factor can be used to model how much an economy is geared for war.

5. Units, unit technologies, and other miscellaneous factors, such as terrain and weather, determining outcome of battles, should be tailored in such a way that they closely mimic historical battles in duration, casualties, and likely outcomes.
5.1. Throughout the duration of the scenario, the technology tree should showcase the changing face of warfare; going from static trench, infantry-driven warfare, through armored blitzkrieg, to modern combined Air-Land battle approach.
5.2. Various national approaches to warfare should be represented through the unit types available, technology researched, build priorities, and AI tactics. For example, German invention of blitzkrieg and innovative use of doctrines, American reliance on strong airforce, Russian strategy of overwhelming the enemy with numbers, etc.

6. The diplomatic model of HoI should be tweaked in such a manner as to reasonably mimic the feverish diplomatic wrangling before, during, and after WWII. Historically likely and factual alliances, enmities, and relationships in general should be more likely then the ahistorical ones.
6.1. Each country should be defined as either a likely and/or factual member of one of the 3 great alliances, or a neutral. The diplomatic AI and settings for the country should reflect this.
6.2. Where the diplomatic model itself can't provide for the complex interactions between the countries, events should be used.

7. The overall technology tree should reflect reality of technology and engineering, and be resonably interwoven and complex.

8. Leaders, unit and formation names, ministers, province names, unit model names, and event names should be historically accurate whenever possible.
8.1. Each country should have enough leaders and ministers to allow the player some choice in the governing of that country. This generally means at least one replacement minister for each category, and preferably more over the course of the scenario.
8.2. Each country should have enough leaders to credibly lead their armies, calculated for the biggest possible army that country could raise given its IC potential.

9. AI files should be made and refined for all countries where appropriate by country's size, importance for general flow of WWII, and historical significance. These AI files should attempt to mimic the historical behavior of their countries both in the specific particulars and general tendencies.
9.1. When possible, AI files should be smart enough to provide players of all skill levels with a reasonable challenge.

10. CORE will be made with consideration of the historical importance of WWII as a global conflict, and the sensibilities of those who participated in it.

DEFINITIONS & SOURCES

Initial GDP = Taken from Maddison's 1938 GDP figures, likely taken from Harrison's "The Economics of World War II" (Mithel)

IC = Unit of Industrial capacity, represents anywhere from $7000 to $120,000 (no current consensus value)

MP = Manpower unit, set at 750 men. Generally speaking, manpower numbers assume a 1:1 frontline troop to support personnel ratio. Since manpower numbers refer to frontline troops, mobilization numbers should be treated accordingly.

Strategic Non-Oil Fuels ("coal") = Coal, Wood, Charcoal

Petroleum Fuels ("oil") = Oil

Strategic Materials ("rubber") = Rubber, tungsten, molybdenum, cobalt, bauxite, chromium

Industrial Metals ("steel") = Steel, iron, copper, aluminum

Supplies = ammunition, food, agricultural products, clothes, gold and precious metals, precious gems

Division = Basic land army organisational unit in HoI, defined as 15,000 soldiers

COMMENTARY

1. This paragraph basically identifies CORE and its goal. It is a summary.
2. This states our goals. I basically took what I found on the forums, and added some summary of what I thought people wanted out of CORE.
3. This needs to be there to remind us that this is all for fun... ;-)
4. Here I think I outline what is our biggest goal right now: fixing economical engine. I bow to Mithel and Procer for their thoughts on this, because I am basically paraphrasing them here.
4.1. It is important here to have a general, simple, measure of IC, that can be historically verified. GDP is simple, can be looked up, and represents the output of the entire economy in a pretty objective manner.
4.4. Rubber is a thorny issue. While Mithel wants rubber to represent everything not covered by other 3 basic resources, I think supplies can be used instead. I'd reserve rubber as the catch-all category for the really rare but important stuff in WWII, like rubber itself, chrome, aluminum, stuff like that.
4.5. I propose that we basically use supplies as a universal currency of CORE. Everybody needs it, more or less, and it can be traded around easily with events. Besides, it is generic enough to represent just about anything.
5. We are doing well with the "localisation" of countries, as far as I can see, all the major players have a distinct "flavor" to them.
6. Since diplomacy generally sucks in HoI, we are here to make it better.
6.1. Most events already do this, so we are doing well here also.
7. We're already on the right path with tech tree, it just needs to be more interrelated.
8. Majors are pretty well covered, but most minors have next to no leaders and next to no ministers. Also, they could use more localised units and formation names.
9. Right now, AI for most countries varies between just dumb and abysmally stupid. Some big events, like French collapse, and Russian defense against Germans, are sort of ok. Others are not, like Japanese lack of interest in the Southeast Asia and Pacific Ocean.
10. Obligatory notice, and besides I think it is only right that we remember that these things we are simulating actually happened, and that they were pretty grim.

Also, on a related note, I think we need to create more references for the builders, with things like starting army sizes, starting IC and natural resources, leader and minister lists, some sort of official map of provinces, maybe some reference for graphics people to know what images are needed, etc. Right now we basically have a list of threads and IDs.

I invite discussion on this pile of stuff I just made up... ;-)
Hopefully you guys will be able to use it as a starting point.

Zerli

P.S. Posting here because I didn't want to open a new thread, and this is sort of the general thread.

Last edited:
I quite like it. I especially thought 2.3 put out the thrust of what it should be about.

I also agree heavily with your statement about "more references for the builders". I think this is an area were we can open up the accessiblity of scripting and modding for CORE for new players and strengthen the community. As the entire HoI community stands, it is a tough, long road to figure out everything and get solid information, even with some persistent efforts by others to help.

-PK

Stuck where, bud? We don't use that language around here. Around here, we are a civilized group of humans recreating the mega-horrors of the nastiest war humanity has ever known.

And we do it in a gentlemenly mannner.

:D

-PK

Interesting. It's a major challenge to get a large group of people without any formal leadership structure to agree and proceed in a productive manner.

Some of these thoughts do appear to be based on some of the recommendations I've been making and this looks a good bit like the outline I've made for my mod. Hence I encourage such organization and I like many of the ideas.

Perhaps we need to break this down to a few basic decisions, figure out who all makes CORE and take some votes?

Issues I see as fundamental:

1) Basis for calculating ICs - from my study it's clear that Paradox started with Maddison's 1938 GDP figures (quite likely taken from Harrison's "The Economics of World War II"). I support continued research (getting country by country breakdowns for South America and the few other countries that figures are not individually stated in Harrison's book) and usage of GDP to set a firm historical economic model for IC. Any variance from this should be documented with an explanation of why a figure has been adjusted away from the 1938 GDP figures.

2) What are the real roles we are using for each of the raw materials. Rubber is the biggest potential difference of agreement. However Paradox has grossly distorted Coal and Steel too. As we know the HoI system has no method to simulate agriculture nor trade (or service businesses like banking).

3) The old debate of challenge & gameplay vs historical accuracy. I'm strongly in favor of historical accuracy tempered by the ability of players to make their own decisions (not too many events forcing their roles). Thus I feel AI files and AI events should make countries behave historically even when this weakens them. I know many players don't agree with me. (thus a good reason for multiple mods)

4) OOBs - some have made some arguements for countries being able to support or start with their theoretical mobilization figures. I favor taking 1939 time frame OOBs and adjusting them back (to account for production) to 1936 (knowing the AI will probably overbuild and that's a flaw we will have to live with).

Anyway, a question I've always had is who is running CORE? Who makes the decisions? I've always seen Steel as the most vocal and apparent leader. But there are a few others that appear to be heavily involved. Is there any process for decision making in CORE?

(looking at the events to me it seems a bit like "flavor" has run out of control and I'm concerned there isn't enough effort in CORE to evaluate the impact of each change)

Gathering a repository for information is an excellent idea and it's something I've been working on for months. My website has a fair amount of information and I'm adding to it all the time. I'm building a country by country breakdown to hopefully gather all important tidbits together.

- Mithel

Originally posted by Mithel
Anyway, a question I've always had is who is running CORE? Who makes the decisions? I've always seen Steel as the most vocal and apparent leader. But there are a few others that appear to be heavily involved. Is there any process for decision making in CORE?

(looking at the events to me it seems a bit like "flavor" has run out of control and I'm concerned there isn't enough effort in CORE to evaluate the impact of each change)

Gathering a repository for information is an excellent idea and it's something I've been working on for months. My website has a fair amount of information and I'm adding to it all the time. I'm building a country by country breakdown to hopefully gather all important tidbits together.

- Mithel

Most of the stuff in this thread is good, we've generally perhaps considered it as obvious with no need to spell it out but as you say it's a community project and lately the community has grown :) I think these last three quoted paragraphs needed an answer.

About leadership and decisions, I've always considered 3 project members to form a quorum. This may seem like a small number but remember most people here are only interested in their own home regions (and typically Germany ;)) and only a few take interest in all aspects of C.O.R.E. Also there's few if any decisions that can't be reversed with a few hours work. If there is a project leader as such, it's IMHO Generalisimo.

About flavour events, most of them should have little or no real impact on the game. They are about creating a feeling of living through the time period of the game rather than having the vanilla experience of just pushing counters around. Generally most events get into C.O.R.E. with relatively little testing except by the author (repeat comments above about people's interest level) and we rely on the wider community feedback to see what stays or get's removed from future versions.

A repository is a very useful idea. We've already got the official website but it's not greatly developed. There's also an internal tool (the wiki) which so far hasn't really taken off. Personally I prefer the wiki because it's multi-author, with the official website being second choice. Unless people use the wiki I'll take it offline as there's will be a considerable cost attached to continued operation.

I agree that a clear statement is now probably necessary, which actually is a good thing. It means that CORE has reached a certain popularity level, and that means we must be doing something right. ;)

Personally, I like the Wiki. It's a good place to swap files for editing and review, and keeps some of the "internal chatter" off the boards, and thus not confusing people. It has been real convienient for posting events and modified files without needing to clog up an email inbox.

Re: CORE BASIC FRAMEWORK PROPOSAL

Originally posted by Zerli
4.4. Rubber is a thorny issue. While Mithel wants rubber to represent everything not covered by other 3 basic resources, I think supplies can be used instead. I'd reserve rubber as the catch-all category for the really rare but important stuff in WWII, like rubber itself, chrome, aluminum, stuff like that.

Hmm. This might need some rejigging of values, especially in Europe; if "rubber" covers diversities such as molybedenum (major sources in Colorado) or tungsten (eg/ Austria), then there should be minor rubber sources there. If rubber is HoIese for strategic substances, we damn well should have strategic substances <g>

I'll do some research into this, pull together a list of strategic minerals, see where should be noted as having some if it doesn't have it already (most of the cobalt, for example, is found in places that probably already produce rubber). Certainly, having the odd small-rubber (~5.rub) province in Central Europe would make things a little more interesting on occasion...

I'd class aluminium as "steel"; it was certainly in the era of being produced as a common metal, not a strategic one, IYSWIM; "Now from Washington and Oregon you can hear the factories hum / Making chrome and making manganese and white aluminum / Now roars the Flying Fortress, on to fight for Uncle Sam..."

At a guess: [iron mining, steel production, copper mining, aluminium smelting, bauxite mining] are the major things steel needs to represent; I'm unsure about copper, but I think it's common enough (virtually everything needs copper at some stage) to be classed in with the steel.

(I suspect this has all been rehashed many times before, I'm just thinking aloud. <g>)

Originally posted by Zerli
4.5. I propose that we basically use supplies as a universal currency of CORE. Everybody needs it, more or less, and it can be traded around easily with events. Besides, it is generic enough to represent just about anything.

Yeah, I like this approach. Might be worth mentioning it clearly somewhere, though, so people know to keep a reserve of supplies in case an odd event happens <g>

(Hmm... a "CORE Concepts" event message, pops up about the same time as the difficulty choice, serves to give a brief reminder of the major differences between CORE and vanilla HoI - ie, more events, check the tech tree more carefully when planning research, that sort of thing?)

Originally posted by Phil K
Stuck where, bud? We don't use that language around here. Around here, we are a civilized group of humans recreating the mega-horrors of the nastiest war humanity has ever known.

And we do it in a gentlemenly mannner.

:D

-PK
stuck where the sun does shine! :D

iron mining, steel production, copper mining, aluminium smelting, bauxite mining
Bauxite is very rare, as far I know, in Europe there are only places where it can be found, southern France and Bosnia & Hercegovina.
I would say a material of strategic value :eek:

Thanks Steel, that was a very helpful reply.

I like the wiki, it is useful.

I thought Zerli was meaning more of a WWII historical information reference in regards to things we need to know about for HoI. Most websites and books cover battles and commanders and equipment. Very few cover economics or cost.

CORE is a fantastic piece of work and it's great to see the community come together to pool ideas to improve the game. The approach is the natural opposite of my typical approach (single strong leader observing the big picture and making sure all the little pieces work together).

As for rubber... the really tricky thing about it is HoI's ability to "make" rubber via conversion (Coal -> Oil -> Rubber) and this makes those three resources all interelated. Some authors (like Len Deighton) state that the only real battle for resources was over oil (personally I think that's a little too simplistic). In my opinion HoI is critically missing a fifth resouce in it's economic model (primarily agriculture).

- Mithel

Originally posted by madner
Bauxite is very rare, as far I know, in Europe there are only places where it can be found, southern France and Bosnia & Hercegovina.
I would say a material of strategic value :eek:

I can see this being the major source of problems :)

The question is, of course, are we considering raw materials (the mines) or finished materials (the smelters)? They tend to be in widely separated locations, because Al refining takes *huge* amounts of electricity (today, it's ~5% of the US electrical production), and thus it's economically favourable to build them near hydro plants and ship the ore.

I'd lean towards having the resource represent ore, and "industry" use up ore rather than finished goods, which would give major sources as (in 1937):

France (17% of world production)
Dutch (East Indies & Dutch Guyana) (15%)
Hungary (13%)
USA (11%)
Italy (9.5%)
British Guyana (9%)
Yugoslavia (9%)
USSR (6%)
and some others <5%

source: http://members.tripod.com/~Sturmvogel/resources.html

However, I do feel it's still better to represent it as steel; there was more of it produced than any other strategic metal, and whilst it was useful in many applications it wasn't *critical* for any of them - with chromium or tungsten shortages industrial facilities could be halted, and this was less true for aluminium. If you didn't have it for aircraft, you could use wood - but if you didn't have tungsten, you usually had problems (admittedly, when tungsten shortages bit in 1943, Germany released its uranium stocks - which, oddly, had been captured in 1940 in Belgium... later in the war, it and chromium became the two minerals which guaranteed their industry would collapse no later than the end of 1945).

Indeed, a quick survey of Speer's memoirs - the things this bookshelf has to hand - has a passing reference to aluminium, and that was to comment that, by using aluminium as a replacement for copper power lines, they had more than enough copper to keep industry going indefinitely.It never posed a critical shortage to the German economy, or at least not one worth mentioning.

I've been thinking about strategic resources, and rubber. Basically, right now in CORE rubber is the rarest of game resources (especially for Germany), and since it is needed for IC production, it effectively sets the limit to maximum IC usable.

Now, if we consider rubber to be the general catch-all category of strategic resources, then the rubber conversion rates become a problem. However, you can propose that in the case of a strategic material missing, an alternative, most likely inferior material is found as a substitute. Hence building planes of wood and paper if aluminum is not available.

Thus, if we think of rubber "conversion" as an efficiency penalty for substituting less-then-perfect materials in production, then rubber can mean a general category of strategic materials. However, in that case I'd want to reduce conversion rates and technologies that give them, because we still want to simulate the fact that these strategic materials are valuable and hard to replace. Thus, I'd cap oil-to-rubber conversion rates at 0.6, or even 0.5. Conversely, I'd make the starting oil-to-rubber conversion rating 0.1 or something like that.

The problem that arises is small countries handling "rubber" deficiencies. This can be solved by judiciously giving them small (up to 10) sources of "rubber". If various posts around the forum are any indication, many exotic strategic materials had sources in the unlikeliest of places. Those countries that don't have even a flimsy justification for a "rubber" source can receive either a small rubber initial pile or an improved trading AI. Typically 3:1 trading ratios can yield rubber throughout the war for peaceful minors, and those ratios are better then initial conversion anyway, even in vanilla HoI.

Now, agriculture presents much more of a problem. I've already proposed using supplies as agricultural output. To further improve this idea, we could set up events for nations with large agricultural output that give them supplies. We could also create matching sets of events for major powers to purchase those extra supplies in exchange for things like techs, units, and other resources.

In fact this is exactly what I am working on for Yugoslavia. As an agricultural country and an exporter of raw materials, it sold those in exchange for technology, units like airplanes, and even resources it lacked. The only sticking point is the fact that I not really sure that AI knows how to handle sudden influx of supplies. I am basically afraid that it would simply sit on an even increasing pile of useless supplies. In the end, even that tendency can be defeated through pre-arranged trade events, but making all those will certainly be a LOT of work... :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a related issue, I think we can tentatively think of Steel and Generalissimo as sort of leaders of CORE. Since they seem to be doing most work, and are coordinating the work of others, the title of project leader falls to them by default (as I've learned to my amusement when the same happened to me in another Open Source project I've been involved with).

On another issue, I've thought about CORE references and what in particular seems to be missing. For me, the biggest problem was a clear tutorial on how to write events. I'd like to see a clear, example-driven, CORE events tutorial. This should include links to Treasury ID tag allocation threads, lists of country tags, and definitely a reference of all commands and triggers. Another thing that would be useful would be clear examples of using AND, OR, and NOT to create complex triggers or event chains.

Also, as part of our ongoing effort to create a better CORE, we should develop some documentation and building guidelines. Things like, assign a contact person for each region, to coordinate people's efforts. Or guidelines on how to properly name and document events, how to merge them with CORE, lists of actively developed countries, that kind of thing.

One fringe benefit of this might be less work for Steel and Generalissimo in integrating all our nifty ideas into a finished CORE. Another organisational idea I had was to create a thread for fixing grammar and spelling errors, and generally to work on text messages inside CORE. With the volume of text available in CORE, it is almost impossible for one person to keep working over the text as versions change.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, Mithel mentions basic historical reference for CORE, especially concerning economy. I am all in favor of it, and in fact, I'd like it to grow into a general CORE historical reference. It should have sections like economic GDP figures per country, historical OOBs, per country, and lists of historic ministers and unit leaders. Another thing that could be useful would be a dated timeline of the period, noting events of general importance to modders, like:

1. Declarations of war, who declared on whom, when.
2. Major battles, outcomes, victors, losers, casualties.
3. Annexations, peace treaties, capitulations and the like.
4. Signing of alliance treaties, all other significant diplomatic events.
5. Changes in government makeup.
6. Major technological breakthroughs.

To start with, we could simply mine existing CORE events and make up a quick and dirty timeline of just wars and endings of wars. Major countries would be a good place to start. This kind of reference to WWII would certainly help builders orient their ideas and test them against historical "common sense".

I know such timelines already exist, and that inventing hot water is usually a waste of time, but I think just having all that material in a central reference, standardized reference would be great. In fact, I am going to start working on the dated timeline myself... ;-)

Zerli

On another issue, I've thought about CORE references and what in particular seems to be missing. For me, the biggest problem was a clear tutorial on how to write events. I'd like to see a clear, example-driven, CORE events tutorial. This should include links to Treasury ID tag allocation threads, lists of country tags, and definitely a reference of all commands and triggers. Another thing that would be useful would be clear examples of using AND, OR, and NOT to create complex triggers or event chains.

For writing events, we use Havard's guide on line. Beyond that, there is a stickied event writing help thread. So I'm not so sure how necessary this would be.

Also, as part of our ongoing effort to create a better CORE, we should develop some documentation and building guidelines. Things like, assign a contact person for each region, to coordinate people's efforts. Or guidelines on how to properly name and document events, how to merge them with CORE, lists of actively developed countries, that kind of thing.

While we tend towards decisions by committee, this might not be such a bad idea. The problem I see is that we would need knowledgable and active epople to fill those roles. Based on the boards, we might have gaps for certain regions, which would be an issue.

One fringe benefit of this might be less work for Steel and Generalissimo in integrating all our nifty ideas into a finished CORE. Another organisational idea I had was to create a thread for fixing grammar and spelling errors, and generally to work on text messages inside CORE. With the volume of text available in CORE, it is almost impossible for one person to keep working over the text as versions change.

So far this hasn't been all that much of a problem. Mostly it has been a matter of uing the find and replace function in Notepad to make changes to comply with patches or things like minister ID changes. Also, as events generally are submitted as individual files, they can be edited before inclusion into the larger CORE files. That and having some consistency as to who is doing the editing is good, as changes are more easilly tracked than if several people are working on them.

Resources

The resource discussion is very interesting (as iare the MP ones). One thing I think should be defined, is what exactly the strategic resources represent. Either in an "offcial" statement from Paradox, or barring that, defined within CORE. I'm hesitant to make change sto resources with out defining what each represents. as has been pointed out, resources such as gold, agricultural products, textiles, etc are not represented in any discernable fashion in HoI. In some events, such as the German mission to China, a decision was made to represent Tungsten using the strategic resource rubber. So, we probably should define what each resource represents in game, before making changes to the provinces and such.

another thing that is very difficult to represent is cash sales. We have found this the hard way in trying to model arms sales and naval sales in events. Nations such as NatChi, are not weak on resources, but lack teh cash to make effective use of them. And, as they are usually burdgeoning with extra resources, they never trade on teh WM, making it more dificult to either better NatChi, or for other nations to acquire those resources. This should also probably be looked at.

WWII Timeline

As promised, a very basic WWII timeline. Mostly concentrated on the events in Europe, very little on the Pacific theater.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World War II timeline

Events of direct relevance to CORE marked with *.
Events already modeled in CORE are marked with $.

Events related to Holocaust have been removed (due to Paradox' posting policies). Even though I find both the legal basis for it and the policy, how shall we put this, less then smart.

By Zerli (original taken from the WWW site http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/timeline/ww2time.htm)

############
# 1936 #
############

Feb 10 - The German Gestapo is placed above the law.

$March 7 - German troops occupy the Rhineland.

*May 9 - Mussolini's Italian forces take Ethiopia.

$July 18 - Civil war erupts in Spain.

$Aug 1 - Olympic games begin in Berlin.

*Oct 1 - Franco declared head of Spanish State.

############
# 1937 #
############

$June 11 - Soviet leader Stalin begins a purge of Red Army generals.

Nov 5 - Hitler reveals war plans during Hossbach Conference.

############
# 1938 #
############

$March 12/13 - Germany announces 'Anschluss' (union) with Austria.

*Aug 12 - German military mobilizes.

$Sept 30 - British Prime Minister Chamberlain appeases Hitler at Munich.

*Oct 15 - German troops occupy the Sudetenland; Czech government resigns.

############
# 1939 #
############

$March 15/16 - Nazis take Czechoslovakia.

$March 28, 1939 - Spanish Civil war ends.

*May 22, 1939 - Nazis sign 'Pact of Steel' with Italy.

$Aug 23, 1939 - Nazis and Soviets sign Pact.

$Aug 25, 1939 - Britain and Poland sign a Mutual Assistance Treaty.

*Aug 31, 1939 - British fleet mobilizes; Civilian evacuations begin from London.

$Sept 1, 1939 - Nazis invade Poland.

$Sept 3, 1939 - Britain, France, Australia and New Zealand declare war on Germany.

*Sept 4, 1939 - British Royal Air Force attacks the German Navy.

*Sept 5, 1939 - United States proclaims neutrality; German troops cross the Vistula River in Poland.

*Sept 10, 1939 - Canada declares war on Germany; Battle of the Atlantic begins.

$Sept 17, 1939 - Soviets invade Poland.

*Sept 27, 1939 - Warsaw surrenders to Nazis; Reinhard Heydrich becomes the leader of new Reich Main Security Office (RSHA).

$Sept 29, 1939 - Nazis and Soviets divide up Poland.

*Nov 8, 1939 - Assassination attempt on Hitler fails.

$Nov 30, 1939 - Soviets attack Finland.

*Dec 14, 1939 - Soviet Union expelled from the League of Nations.

############
# 1940 #
############

*Jan 8, 1940 - Rationing begins in Britain.

$March 12, 1940 - Finland signs a peace treaty with Soviets.

*March 16, 1940 - Germans bomb Scapa Flow naval base near Scotland.

$April 9, 1940 - Nazis invade Denmark and Norway.

$May 10, 1940 - Nazis invade France, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands; Winston Churchill becomes British Prime Minister.

*May 15, 1940 - Holland surrenders to the Nazis.

*May 26, 1940 - Evacuation of Allied troops from Dunkirk begins.

*May 28, 1940 - Belgium surrenders to the Nazis.

*June 3, 1940 - Germans bomb Paris; Dunkirk evacuation ends.

*June 10, 1940 - Norway surrenders to the Nazis; Italy declares war on Britain and France.

*June 14, 1940 - Germans enter Paris.

$June 16, 1940 - Marshal Pétain becomes French Prime Minister.

*June 18, 1940 - Hitler and Mussolini meet in Munich; Soviets begin occupation of the Baltic States.

$June 22, 1940 - France signs an armistice with the Nazis.

*June 23, 1940 - Hitler tours Paris.

$June 28, 1940 - Britain recognizes Gen. Charles de Gaulle as the Free French leader.

*July 1, 1940 - German U-boats attack merchant ships in the Atlantic.

*July 5, 1940 - French Vichy government breaks off relations with Britain.

*July 10, 1940 - Battle of Britain begins.

*July 23, 1940 - Soviets take Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.

*Aug 3-19 - Italians occupy British Somaliland in East Africa.

*Aug 13, 1940 - German bombing offensive against airfields and factories in England.

*Aug 15, 1940 - Air battles and daylight raids over Britain.

*Aug 17, 1940 - Hitler declares a blockade of the British Isles.

*Aug 23/24 - First German air raids on Central London.

*Aug 25/26 - First British air raid on Berlin.

*Sept 3, 1940 - Hitler plans Operation Sealion (the invasion of Britain).

*Sept 7, 1940 - German Blitz against England begins.

*Sept 13, 1940 - Italians invade Egypt.

*Sept 15, 1940 - Massive German air raids on London, Southampton, Bristol, Cardiff, Liverpool and Manchester.

*Sept 16, 1940 - United States military conscription bill passed.

$Sept 27, 1940 - Tripartite (Axis) Pact signed by Germany, Italy and Japan.

*Oct 7, 1940 - German troops enter Romania.

*Oct 12, 1940 - Germans postpone Operation Sealion until Spring of 1941.

*Oct 28, 1940 - Italy invades Greece.

$Nov 5, 1940 - Roosevelt re-elected as U.S. president.

*Nov 10/11 - A torpedo bomber raid cripples the Italian fleet at Taranto, Italy.

*Nov 14/15 - Germans bomb Coventry, England.

*Nov 20, 1940 - Hungary joins the Axis Powers.

*Nov 22, 1940 - Greeks defeat the Italian 9th Army.

*Nov 23, 1940 - Romania joins the Axis Powers.

*Dec 9/10 - British begin a western desert offensive in North Africa against the Italians.

*Dec 29/30 - Massive German air raid on London.

############
# 1941 #
############

Jan 22, 1941 - Tobruk in North Africa falls to the British and Australians.

Feb 11, 1941 - British forces advance into Italian Somaliland in East Africa.

Feb 12, 1941 - German General Erwin Rommel arrives in Tripoli, North Africa.

Feb 14, 1941 - First units of German 'Afrika Korps' arrive in North Africa.

March 7, 1941 - British forces arrive in Greece.

$March 11, 1941 - President Roosevelt signs the Lend-Lease Act.

$March 27, 1941 - A coup in Yugoslavia overthrows the pro-Axis government.

*April 3, 1941 - Pro-Axis regime set up in Iraq.

$April 6, 1941 - Nazis invade Greece and Yugoslavia.

April 14, 1941 - Rommel attacks Tobruk.

*April 17, 1941 - Yugoslavia surrenders to the Nazis.

*April 27, 1941 - Greece surrenders to the Nazis.

May 1, 1941 - German attack on Tobruk is repulsed.

*May 10, 1941 - Deputy Fuhrer Rudolph Hess flies to Scotland.

May 10/11 - Heavy German bombing of London; British bomb Hamburg.

May 15, 1941 - Operation Brevity begins (the British counter-attack in Egypt).

*May 24, 1941 - Sinking of the British ship Hood by the Bismarck.

*May 27, 1941 - Sinking of the Bismarck by the British Navy.

*June 4, 1941 - Pro-Allied government installed in Iraq.

*June 8, 1941 - Allies invade Syria and Lebanon.

*June 14, 1941 - United States freezes German and Italian assets in America.

*June 22, 1941 - Germany attacks Soviet Union as Operation Barbarossa begins.

June 28, 1941 - Germans capture Minsk.

*July 3, 1941 - Stalin calls for a scorched earth policy.

July 10, 1941 - Germans cross the River Dnieper in the Ukraine.

*July 12, 1941 - Mutual Assistance agreement between British and Soviets.

*July 14, 1941 - British occupy Syria.

*July 26, 1941 - Roosevelt freezes Japanese assets in United States and suspends relations.

*Aug 1, 1941 - United States announces an oil embargo against aggressor states.

*Aug 14, 1941 - Roosevelt and Churchill announce the Atlantic Charter.

Aug 20, 1941 - Nazi siege of Leningrad begins.

Sept 19, 1941 - Nazis take Kiev.

Oct 2, 1941 - Operation Typhoon begins (German advance on Moscow).

Oct 16, 1941 - Germans take Odessa.

Oct 24, 1941 - Germans take Kharkov.

Oct 30, 1941 - Germans reach Sevastopol.

*Nov 13, 1941 - British aircraft carrier Ark Royal is sunk off Gibraltar by a U-boat.

Nov 20, 1941 - Germans take Rostov.

Nov 27, 1941 - Soviet troops retake Rostov.

Dec 5, 1941 - German attack on Moscow is abandoned.

Dec 6, 1941 - Soviet Army launches a major counter-offensive around Moscow.

*Dec 7, 1941 - Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor; Hitler issues the Night and Fog decree.

*Dec 8, 1941 - United States and Britain declare war on Japan.

*Dec 11, 1941 - Germany declares war on the United States.

Dec 16, 1941 - Rommel begins a retreat to El Agheila in North Africa.

Dec 19, 1941 - Hitler takes complete command of the German Army.

############
# 1942 #
############

*Jan 1, 1942 - Declaration of the United Nations signed by 26 Allied nations.

*Jan 13, 1942 - Germans begin a U-boat offensive along east coast of USA.

Jan 21, 1942 - Rommel's counter-offensive from El Agheila begins.

*Jan 26, 1942 - First American forces arrive in Great Britain.

*In April - Japanese-Americans sent to relocation centers.

April 23, 1942 - German air raids begin against cathedral cities in Britain.

May 8, 1942 - German summer offensive begins in the Crimea.

May 26, 1942 - Rommel begins an offensive against the Gazala Line.

*May 27, 1942 - SS Leader Heydrich attacked in Prague.

May 30, 1942 - First thousand bomber British air raid (against Cologne).

*June 4, 1942 - Heydrich dies of wounds.

June 5, 1942 - Germans besiege Sevastopol.

June 21, 1942 - Rommel captures Tobruk.

*June 25, 1942 - Eisenhower arrives in London.

June 30, 1942 - Rommel reaches El Alamein near Cairo, Egypt.

July 1-30 - First Battle of El Alamein.

July 3, 1942 - Germans take Sevastopol.

July 5, 1942 - Soviet resistance in the Crimea ends.

July 9, 1942 - Germans begin a drive toward Stalingrad in the USSR.

*Aug 7, 1942 - British General Bernard Montgomery takes command of Eighth Army in North Africa.

*Aug 12, 1942 - Stalin and Churchill meet in Moscow.

*Aug 17, 1942 - First all-American air attack in Europe.

Aug 23, 1942 - Massive German air raid on Stalingrad.

Sept 2, 1942 - Rommel driven back by Montgomery in the Battle of Alam Halfa.

Sept 13, 1942 - Battle of Stalingrad begins.

*Oct 18, 1942 - Hitler orders the execution of all captured British commandos.

Nov 1, 1942 - Operation Supercharge (Allies break Axis lines at El Alamein).

Nov 8, 1942 - Operation Torch begins (U.S. invasion of North Africa).

*Nov 11, 1942 - Germans and Italians invade unoccupied Vichy France.

Nov 19, 1942 - Soviet counter-offensive at Stalingrad begins.

*Dec 2, 1942 - Professor Enrico Fermi sets up an atomic reactor in Chicago.

Dec 13, 1942 - Rommel withdraws from El Agheila.

Dec 16, 1942 - Soviets defeat Italian troops on the River Don in the USSR.

Dec 31, 1942 - Battle of the Barents Sea between German and British ships.

############
# 1943 #
############

Jan 2/3 - Germans begin a withdrawal from the Caucasus.

Jan 10, 1943 - Soviets begin an offensive against the Germans in Stalingrad.

*Jan 14-24 - Casablanca conference between Churchill and Roosevelt. During the conference, Roosevelt announces the war can end only with an unconditional German surrender.

Jan 23, 1943 - Montgomery's Eighth Army takes Tripoli.

Jan 27, 1943 - First bombing raid by Americans on Germany (at Wilhelmshaven).

*Feb 2, 1943 - Germans surrender at Stalingrad in the first big defeat of Hitler's armies.

Feb 8, 1943 - Soviet troops take Kursk.

*Feb 14-25 - Battle of Kasserine Pass between the U.S. 1st Armored Division and German Panzers in North Africa.

Feb 16, 1943 - Soviets re-take Kharkov.

*Feb 18, 1943 - Nazis arrest White Rose resistance leaders in Munich.

March 2, 1943 - Germans begin a withdrawal from Tunisia, Africa.

March 15, 1943 - Germans re-capture Kharkov.

*March 16-20 - Battle of Atlantic climaxes with 27 merchant ships sunk by German U-boats.

March 20-28 - Montgomery's Eighth Army breaks through the Mareth Line in Tunisia.

April 6/7 - Axis forces in Tunisia begin a withdrawal toward Enfidaville as American and British forces link.

May 7, 1943 - Allies take Tunisia.

*May 13, 1943 - German and Italian troops surrender in North Africa.

May 16/17 - British air raid on the Ruhr.

*May 22, 1943 - Doenitz suspends U-boat operations in the North Atlantic.

*June 10, 1943 - 'Pointblank' directive to improve Allied bombing strategy issued.

July 5, 1943 - Germans begin their last offensive against Kursk.

*July 9/10 - Allies land in Sicily.

July 19, 1943 - Allies bomb Rome.

July 22, 1943 - Americans capture Palermo, Sicily.

July 24, 1943 - British bombing raid on Hamburg.

*July 25/26 - Mussolini arrested and the Italian Fascist government falls; Marshal Pietro Badoglio takes over and negotiates with Allies.

*July 27/28 - Allied air raid causes a firestorm in Hamburg.

*Aug 12-17 - Germans evacuate Sicily.

Aug 17, 1943 - American daylight air raids on Regensburg and Schweinfurt in Germany; Allies reach Messina, Sicily.

Aug 23, 1943 - Soviet troops recapture Kharkov.

*Sept 8, 1943 - Italian surrender is announced.

Sept 9, 1943 - Allied landings at Salerno and Taranto.

*Sept 11, 1943 - Germans occupy Rome.

$Sept 12, 1943 - Germans rescue Mussolini.

$Sept 23, 1943 - Mussolini re-establishes a Fascist government.

Oct 1, 1943 - Allies enter Naples, Italy.

*Oct 4, 1943 - SS Reichsfuhrer Himmler gives speech at Posen.

*Oct 13, 1943 - Italy declares war on Germany; Second American air raid on Schweinfurt.

Nov 6, 1943 - Russians recapture Kiev in the Ukraine.

Nov 18, 1943 - Large British air raid on Berlin.

*Nov 28, 1943 - Roosevelt, Churchill, Stalin meet at Teheran.

Dec 24-26 - Soviets launch offensives on the Ukrainian front.

############
# 1944 #
############

Jan 6, 1944 - Soviet troops advance into Poland.

Jan 17, 1944 - First attack toward Cassino, Italy.

Jan 22, 1944 - Allies land at Anzio.

*Jan 27, 1944 - Leningrad relieved after a 900-day siege.

*Feb 15-18 - Allies bomb the monastery at Monte Cassino.

Feb 16, 1944 - Germans counter-attack against the Anzio beachhead.

March 4, 1944 - Soviet troops begin an offensive on the Belorussian front; First major daylight bombing raid on Berlin by the Allies.

March 15, 1944 - Second Allied attempt to capture Monte Cassino begins.

March 18, 1944 - British drop 3000 tons of bombs during an air raid on Hamburg, Germany.

April 8, 1944 - Soviet troops begin an offensive to liberate Crimea.

May 9, 1944 - Soviet troops recapture Sevastopol.

May 11, 1944 - Allies attack the Gustav Line south of Rome.

*May 12, 1944 - Germans surrender in the Crimea.

*May 15, 1944 - Germans withdraw to the Adolf Hitler Line.

May 25, 1944 - Germans retreat from Anzio.

June 5, 1944 - Allies enter Rome.

*June 6, 1944 - D-Day landings.

June 9, 1944 - Soviet offensive against the Finnish front begins.

*June 13, 1944 - First German V-1 rocket attack on Britain.

June 22, 1944 - Operation Bagration begins (the Soviet summer offensive).

June 27, 1944 - U.S. troops liberate Cherbourg.

July 3, 1944 - 'Battle of the Hedgerows' in Normandy; Soviets capture Minsk.

July 9, 1944 - British and Canadian troops capture Caen.

July 18, 1944 - U.S. troops reach St. Lô.

$July 20, 1944 - German assassination attempt on Hitler fails.

July 25-30 - Operation Cobra (U.S. troops break out west of St. Lô).

July 28, 1944 - Soviet troops take Brest-Litovsk. U.S. troops take Coutances.

*Aug 1, 1944 - Polish Home Army uprising against Nazis in Warsaw begins; U.S. troops reach Avranches.

*Aug 4, 1944 - Anne Frank and family arrested by the Gestapo in Amsterdam, Holland.

Aug 7, 1944 - Germans begin a major counter-attack toward Avranches.

Aug 15, 1944 - Operation Dragoon begins (the Allied invasion of Southern France).

Aug 19, 1944 - Resistance uprising in Paris.

Aug 19/20 - Soviet offensive in the Balkans begins with an attack on Romania.

Aug 20, 1944 - Allies encircle Germans in the Falaise Pocket.

*Aug 25, 1944 - Liberation of Paris.

Aug 29, 1944 - Slovak uprising begins.

*Aug 31, 1944 - Soviet troops take Bucharest.

Sept 1-4 - Verdun, Dieppe, Artois, Rouen, Abbeville, Antwerp and Brussels liberated by Allies.

*Sept 4, 1944 - Finland and the Soviet Union agree to a cease-fire.

Sept 13, 1944 - U.S. troops reach the Siegfried Line.

Sept 17, 1944 - Operation Market Garden begins (Allied airborne assault on Holland).

Sept 26, 1944 - Soviet troops occupy Estonia.

*Oct 2, 1944 - Warsaw Uprising ends as the Polish Home Army surrenders to the Germans.

Oct 10-29 - Soviet troops capture Riga.

*Oct 14, 1944 - Allies liberate Athens; Rommel commits suicide.

Oct 21, 1944 - Massive German surrender at Aachen.

Nov 20, 1944 - French troops drive through the 'Beffort Gap' to reach the Rhine.

Nov 24, 1944 - French capture Strasbourg.

*Dec 4, 1944 - Civil War in Greece; Athens placed under martial law.

Dec 16-27 - Battle of the Bulge in the Ardennes.

Dec 17, 1944 - Waffen SS murder 81 U.S. POWs at Malmedy.

Dec 26, 1944 - Patton relieves Bastogne.

Dec 27, 1944 - Soviet troops besiege Budapest.

############
# 1945 #
############

Jan 1-17 - Germans withdraw from the Ardennes.

Jan 16, 1945 - U.S. 1st and 3rd Armies link up after a month long separation during the Battle of the Bulge.

Jan 17, 1945 - Soviet troops capture Warsaw.

*Feb 4-11 - Roosevelt, Churchill, Stalin meet at Yalta.

*Feb 13/14 - Dresden is destroyed by a firestorm after Allied bombing raids.

March 6, 1945 - Last German offensive of the war begins to defend oil fields in Hungary.

March 7, 1945 - Allies take Cologne and establish a bridge across the Rhine at Remagen.

March 30, 1945 - Soviet troops capture Danzig.

In April - Allies discover stolen Nazi art and wealth hidden in salt mines.

April 1, 1945 - U.S. troops encircle Germans in the Ruhr; Allied offensive in North Italy.

*April 12, 1945 - President Roosevelt dies. Truman becomes President.

*April 16, 1945 - Soviet troops begin their final attack on Berlin; Americans enter Nuremberg.

April 18, 1945 - German forces in the Ruhr surrender.

April 21, 1945 - Soviets reach Berlin.

*April 28, 1945 - Mussolini is captured and hanged by Italian partisans; Allies take Venice.

April 29, 1945 - U.S. 7th Army liberates Dachau.

*April 30, 1945 - Adolf Hitler commits suicide.

May 2, 1945 - German troops in Italy surrender.

*May 7, 1945 - Unconditional surrender of all German forces to Allies.

*May 8, 1945 - V-E (Victory in Europe) Day.

*May 9, 1945 - Hermann Goering is captured by members of the U.S. 7th Army.

*May 23, 1945 - SS Reichsfuhrer Himmler commits suicide; German High Command and Provisional Government imprisoned.

*June 5, 1945 - Allies divide up Germany and Berlin and take over the government.

*June 26, 1945 - United Nations Charter is signed in San Francisco.

July 1, 1945 - U.S., British, and French troops move into Berlin.

*July 16, 1945 - First U.S. atomic bomb test; Potsdam Conference begins.

*July 26, 1945 - Atlee succeeds Churchill as British Prime Minister.

*Aug 6, 1945 - First atomic bomb dropped, on Hiroshima, Japan.

*Aug 8, 1945 - Soviets declares war on Japan and invade Manchuria.

*Aug 9, 1945 - Second atomic bomb dropped, on Nagasaki, Japan.

*Aug 14, 1945 - Japanese agree to unconditional surrender.

*Sept 2, 1945 - Japanese sign the surrender agreement; V-J (Victory over Japan) Day.

*Oct 24, 1945 - United Nations is officially born.

*Nov 20, 1945 - Nuremberg war crimes trials begin.

############
# 1946 #
############

*Oct 16 - Hermann Goering commits suicide two hours before his scheduled execution.

Zerli

2. The goals of CORE mod are as follows:
2.1. Simulate the starting economic, military, and political conditions in the world at the beginning of scenario, year 1936.

2.1 should probably specify that we work not only from the 1936 scenario but also from the Normal/Normal dificulty level.

Ghost_dk