• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Xyviel

Second Lieutenant
49 Badges
Jun 22, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
Spoilers, obviously, but I have to ask: am I the only one who was taken by surprise by the reveal that Barik and Verse are, in fact, (half-)siblings?

The conversation option came out of nowhere while I was talking with Barik. Apparently, the Playable Character got hints that there was something more going on between Barik and Verse than the usual Disfavored-Scarlet Chorus rivalry.

I'm glad that the PC did, because I certainly did not. This really came out of nowhere for me, and I like to think that I have been fairly thorough in reading the different conversations popping up with my party members until then.

Am I the only one?

Yes it did catch me by surprise as well Barik's response was great when you use subterfuge to get them to train together. Plus if you look at their portraits they have the same blue eyes.

So the only foreshadowing/signs that you get about Barik and Verse's bloodties is the color of their eyes in their respective portraits? Surely there is something else, something mentioned in a written description that I must have missed?

I mean I do like the idea of subtle foreshadowing that a player like me may or may not miss, but that is really subtle.

The fact that they both display proto Archon-esque powers also ties them together in some fashion and the ever so slight foreshadowed explaination about Verses battlefield hesitation. Alluded to as being a result of the link between herslf and Barik. It pretty much cam eout of the blue beyond those two, rather strenuous connections.

As to their unique gifts, Bariks inhuman endurance in the face of the Edict of storms and Verse's mini-nerat power. The link between them possibly being due to shared heritage.

There's also some subtext in the way they interact. There is teasing, but read into it: even before you learn of their relation, there is a lot of familiarity shown between them, and their rivalries and bickering does not extend to the full hatred that normal Disfavored and Chorus normally share. It's very much a friendly teasing between them,

I wasn't too surprised by this since they seemed to have an almost sibling rivalry. Well, turns out thats because they are step siblings. lol

It makes sense that you can use Verse to help snap Barik out of his depression after killing Ashe since they are siblings.

I wasn't too surprised by this since they seemed to have an almost sibling rivalry. Well, turns out thats because they are step siblings. lol

It makes sense that you can use Verse to help snap Barik out of his depression after killing Ashe since they are siblings.

Barik also start to... indicate his unhappiness about the plans of Graven Ashe when you are sent to finish off Cairn. He still follows orders, but he's in doubt about the way Graven Ashe has asked you to do it.

I get that he's in many ways bigoted and willing to perform horrible acts out of loyalty, but I've some respect for the fact that he still has the remains of a moral compass and I wound up getting his loyalty quite high despite being opposed to the Disfavored by not being a dick to people, including disfavored, when there was no point.

That does explain why you can keep Barik with you even through a Rebel or Anarchy playthrough. I also notice in act 1, while talking to Cerveus, the commander who gives you the earthshaker side quest, that Verse will ask Barik about how his family is doing. Barik will say not to ask that question since she has no right. Verse will retort "Don't I?". Her response makes more sense now that we know they are step siblings. lol