• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Daft

Captain
43 Badges
Apr 11, 2001
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
This is spawned from the Rome should be nerfed thread.

I figured that barbarian tribes should probably have some malus to their singing ability, since they seem to have too easy a time in this regard, so I thought it might be interesting to collect some sources that point to the tribal ability to siege.

My intention is to collect sources and discuss, not promote a nerf, since I think the tribes should be left alone from a gameplay balance perspective.

I found this last night while reading The Men Who built Rome by Adrian Goldsworthy. Anyone else have any sources pointing in either direction on this question?

F12DD6FB-724A-43DD-BEC4-5BBAF5B58ADD.jpeg

In reality there was no such thing as generic "barbarian tribes" or "barbarian warfare". And passage you quoted refers only to germanic peoples of late antiquity of whom we know that they had been semi-nomadic herders with no city-building capabilities of their own at that time. Also, in spite of that, they had no problems with taking on fortified settelments, good example here are the results of archeological excavations of Celtic oppidum at the site of Zavist, near Prague, overtaken by Germanic tribes during late I c. BCE or early I c. CE.

P. S. You might want to repeat your question to folks at history subforum.

Reactions:
In reality there was no such thing as generic "barbarian tribes" or "barbarian warfare". And passage you quoted refers only to germanic peoples of late antiquity of whom we know that they had been semi-nomadic herders with no city-building capabilities of their own at that time. Also, in spite of that, they had no problems with taking on fortified settelments, good example here are the results of archeological excavations of Celtic oppidum at the site of Zavist, near Prague, overtaken by Germanic tribes during late I c. BCE or early I c. CE.

P. S. You might want to repeat your question to folks at history subforum.

Yes, I am being a bit too general lumping them all together. And yes, this is very late in the Empire life span, but it has been alluded to at several points for especially the Germanic tribes.