• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Herbert West

Field Marshal
71 Badges
Jul 24, 2006
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Darkest Hour
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH
  • Victoria 2
בפומת

Baphomet

Baphomet.png

----------------------------------------

Index:
I - In The ...
II - Rites Of Initiation
III - Soulside Journey
IV - Navel Of The World
V - Sathariel
VI - Sacrifice To The God Of Doubt
VII - All His Lonely Creatures
VIII - The Whore Of Babalon
IX - Into The Crypt Of Rays
X - Wisdom and The Cage
XI - A Moment Of Clarity
XII - Arx Idolatriae
XIII - Circles Of Flesh
XIV - Tounges Of Fire
XV - Chief Rebel Angel parts: I &II &III

----------------------------------------​

Good day to all my new-found readers!
This "AAR" (or, more likely, a series of little novelettes covering a lenghtly story) will be the history of a french nobleman turning into a Knight Templar, journeying the Holy Land, and discovering a thing or two, including a green gem.

I have decided (at the advice of some of my friedns I have told the story to) to do, Gods willing, a second part of the story, one that will chronicle the events culminating in Jaques De Molay being burned at the stake.

Understanding of the story will require some background knowledge (something the writer is accumulating right now as well), basic links to which (aka wiki articles) will be posted here. Biblical quotes will always be from the King James version, except where noted.
Wiki: Knights Templar
Latin Vulgate
KJB

I have (as opposed to my other AAR) a quite structured and pre-prepared set of update-themes readily at hand, so, Gods willing, this will be updated weekly, possibly on fridays, or the weekend.

The setting itself will be, if I am allowed to use the term, "historical fiction", meaning that while most things will not contradict the events and beliefs of their time, they may get altered to:
a, suit the story better
b, be more "digestible"

And, lastly, two kind requests to everyone:
a, comment:p
b, dont spoil others fun. If you already know what the next chapter will be about (as someone who has read much in the field of (Censored as of yet) will guess a lot), dont say it, please:p
(Same applies to the title)

And without further ado:

Last edited:
Chapter One

In The...​

templar.gif

Year Of Our Lord Christ The Saviour 1152, Southern France

Daniel de Bourg-des-Saexes, the last twig on the now-dying old tree of the family de Bourg-des-Saexes was strolling trough the empty halls of his ancestral home. The old, cold stone fortress seemed otherwordly empty, now that the commotion of the servants was gone. He could not help feeling a bit of sorrow, but the promise of a new, god-fearing life, and the now-sour memories evoked by the sight and smell of his home soon burshed it aside.

The time of his departure was now only a day away, and this forced him to contemplate once more on the life he had led.

He spent the twenty-five years of his life so far in luxury and wealth, but also in the filth of indulgence and the sorrow of solitude. His father, the late Count de Bourg-des-Saexes, died twenty years ago, on a hunting trip into the forests of the regions. His mother, a strong-willed but ill-tempered woman raised him afterwards, with the help of some maidens, though the maidens came and went quicker that the seasons, for his mother was convinced that they tried to flirt with his only son. Sometimes, she was even right, but her actions severed any ties the young Daniel had to these maidens, and his mother was to occupied with the manor to really take care of him. Thus, Daniel grew up wothout knowing too much love, except from one source:

God.

God Almigthy, the silent by-stander of every action in the world, the Holy and Just Creator, and his son, Christos Pantocrator, became his closest friends and secret companions in the dim light of the house chapel.

His mother passed away about four years ago, mourned by few. Her death left Daniel as the sole heir of the significant fortune of his family, but also, the hier of all its obligations and problems.

For the luck of all involved, he showed a natural aptitude at running a manour, and at the intrigue required if one happens to be a nobleman.

His life of solitude quickly changed three years ago, when he met, and subsequently wed his wife, Hannah. She, with all her passion, all her love, all her burning devotion brought joy and laughter into the old castle, her smile illuminating the dark halls like a miriad of candles.

The new-found joy vanished into oblivion a year ago, when Hannah died in childbirth. Daniel, who clung unto the happines of Hannah as a child onto his mothers breasts, sunk into a deep sorrow, one that he sought to wash away with wine and woman. Soo deep was his sorrow that he forgot all his vows to God, all his vows to Hannah, and only wanted the pain inside to subdue, if only for the nights, so that it may attack him with doubled fury the day after.

But wine and woman may drown sorrow, but they will never heal the scars. Slowly, after eight months of living in a life of pompous luxury, throwing away his fortunes, the pain refused to drown. It stayed with him all night, the next day, and the next night. Then, in a fury fueled by his sorrow, he smashed the wine-jugs, threw out the courtesans, and sat down in the middle of all this rubble, sobbing like an eight-year-old.

The next week, a wandering group of Templar asked for shelter and food, as they run low on the second, and needed the first becouse of a coming storm. Daniel, his lust for life burned, bade them entry, ordered food to be served to them, and told them not to disturb him. But a templar is not a person to ignore another one's plight.

They asked him to stay and eat with them, and spoke with him for hours, late into the night, and even into the first rays of the morning sun. Their simple, white robes, their stout devotion to God, the fire in their eyes, the purenes of their souls, the aura of holines surrounding these pilgrim warriors re-awakened his childhood devotion to God, and he told them of his plight, told them all his life, and all his sins.
And this monent, the sorrow vanished. For in their eyes, he saw not disdain, indiffernece, or outright hate he would have expected them to show, but only rue, forgivenes, compassion, and love. The love of God to all his creations shined trough their eyes upon him, and burned sorrow out of his heart, forever.

After having slept, and awoken like a new man, like someone who sees the world for the first time, he asked wether he could join them. The Templars saw the newly-risen flames of devotion and the desire for atonement in his eyes, and told him that he could acompany them to their destination, Paris, and the Templar fortress within the city.

There, the pureness he met almost burned him, for he could not bare standing in the presence of man so holy while having sinned so deeply. But his newfound brothers reassured him, for they saw his eyes, and the fires within. He could join their order if he wanted, mayhap someday he was to walk upon the holy land.

He offered the Order all his wealth the same day.

And now, his brothers were here in his home, taking him once again to Paris, for he was to take the Vows, and join them in their fight for the Holy Land, was to die alongside them as a martyr, a true Athleta Christi.

Come now, brother Daniel.

I am coming, my brothers. I only said farewell to my past.

Fear not, for your future lies in our hands, and we are your brothers, in arms, in hearts, and in soul.

The trip to Paris seemed awefully short, and he found himself, in the simplest of robes, in front of the Master Of The French Division Of The Order Of Poor Fellow-Soldiers Of Christ And Of The Temple Of Solomon.

(Spelling will be checked tomorrow, you can post all typos and errors you find to me in PM, I'll be glad.
I hope you like it. Next installment "Rites Of Initiation", coming the weekend)

Last edited:
Rites Of Initiation

templar.gif

Year Of Our Lord Christ The Saviour 1152, Paris

The Master spoke with a deep voice, one that brought fear into the hearts of him enemies, and brought compassion and peace to his friends. God Almighty himself was speaking trough him, the words of the Division Master echoing into the hearts of everyone listeting like a prayer, like a silent whisper from God.

Do you, Daniel de Bourg-des-Saexes, take upon thee the vow of celibacy, never to even touch a womans body, never to kiss anyone walking on this earth in feamle flesh, never to give in to the temptation of the rotting sins that flesh itself brings with it? Do you vow always to be chaste, standing firm in the way of whatever witchly temptation thou may find when walking among other man? Do you vow to always wear a cloth around your groin, never to expose thy body to anyone, not even your fellow brethren. Do you vow never to clean yourself of the soil and dirt of this world, but to be a shining beacon of holy power even when covered deep in the blood of thy enemies? Do you take this vow in the presence of thy Master, thy borthers, and first and foremost, thy sole ruler and Lord Almighty, God, and his son, Jesus Christus, our Saviour?

In the name of God, I vow.

Do you, Daniel de Bourg-des-Saexes, take upon thee the vow of poverty, never to posess more than thy weapons, clothing and steed, to give all your gold to your order and to the poor of this world, to aid the poor, the fallen, the lepers with thy last peice of cloth, even if thou must freeze by doing such? Do you resist the temptation of coin, of wealth, the creations of Satan and fallen man? Do you give up all your worldy belongings? Do you take this vow in the presence of thy Master, thy borthers, and first and foremost, thy sole ruler and Lord Almighty, God, and his son, Jesus Christus, our Saviour?

Do you, Daniel de Bourg-des-Saexes, take upon thee the vow of obedience, both unto the will of God, and the will of thy superior brothers? Do you follow their orders to the point of death, and beyond? Do you ignore all other oders but those thy borthers give you? Do you vow to be deaf to the tempting-scheming speach of the world, to everything but the plight of the needy, the word of God, and the commands of thy superiors? Do you follow orders in all situations, be that on the battlefield, or in the solemn company of our chapels and fortresses? Do you take this vow in the presence of thy Master, thy borthers, and first and foremost, thy sole ruler and Lord Almighty, God, and his son, Jesus Christus, our Saviour?

Do you, Daniel de Bourg-des-Saexes, vow to live a life worthy of Jesus Christus, our Savoir, do you vow never to sin, and always to open thy heart to your borthers and chaplains? Do you take this vow in the presence of thy Master, thy borthers, and first and foremost, thy sole ruler and Lord Almighty, God, and his son, Jesus Christus, our Saviour?

Do you, Daniel de Bourg-des-Saexes, vow to fight at the side of thy borthers in arms, at the side of true christians, and at the sight of anyone assailed against the heathen, the heretic, the Muhhamadan devils? Do you vow never to retreat from battle, lest all our standards have fallen, all standerd of our borthers in faith, the Hospitalers have fallen, and thy Master has ordered thyne retreat? Do you vow never to fear a battle caoming, for it is in battle that thou may excel in the eyes of God, and slay a thousand heretics and devils before thou art slain? Do you take this vow in the presence of thy Master, thy borthers, and first and foremost, thy sole ruler and Lord Almighty, God, and his son, Jesus Christus, our Saviour?

Then I hereby announce you, in the face of thy borthers, thy master, and thy one and sovreign Lord, God, a Knight Templar.

The Master then took a small bottle of chrism, and annointed his new borther with it, while the others were singing their oaths one key phrase in a way that almost rivaled the choir of angels in beauty.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis: sed nomini tuo da gloriam."

Year Of Our Lord Christ The Saviour 1152, Paris, month later, in the end of autumn

Daniel trained with vigour and zeal almost unseen in the last few years. He excelled at the art of horseback warfare, he almost fused with his heavly armoured warhorse when training galopping and charging into ranks of dummies. He held his lance frim with ease, as if it was but a twig. His strenght grew much under the tutelage of his brothers. His skill with the sowrd was excelent, he wielded the heavy blade as if it was but an extension of his own hand.

In the chapel, he prayed with burning zeal, a desire to cleanse his soul of all tain it had aquired. God himself looked down upon him and smiled sometimes, for he heard a soothing voice whisper to him in the dim chapel, and once, he saw a very angel of God, sent to him as a sign. The purity that is the right of all templars solwly made its way into his heart, and he became a shining beacon of justness and holiness, like his borthers, but sometimes, his light, or so he felt, was being mixed with a strange sensation he never could identify, but prayer eased his soul. He became a very insturment of God, his arms ready to kill or heal at the will of The Lord, his heart and mind fully open to the Will of God, his old self burned away in the falmes of purifinig zealousy.

His borthers admired and feared him, for his excell put their own achivements into a dimmer light, they feared athat they were not pure enough to be instruments of God as Daniel was. Daniel saw nothing of this, as he viewed his borhers as every templar sohuld view them, his equals, his only friends in this world, the ones he was to fight and die beside.

Most of his borzer joined out of religious fervor and zeal, some drawn to the templars by their offers of atonement, and some seeked to escape the dirt of this world. Yet, the ceremonies and the training transformed all of them. They became holy warriors of God, showing no mercy for the ungodly, but ready to lay down their lives of the poor, the downcast, the needy.

The end of Daniels training in Europe was nearing. He was soon to leave for the Holy Land, to finish his training there, and then test his mettle against the Muhhammadian scum occupyiny the Land Of Christ.

Last edited:
Hardraade, Piko, Fiftypence: Thank you very much! I hope you like this chapter just as well.
Same goes out to all anonimous readers, of course.

Though I must say, this chapter will most likely be rewritten a bit sometime in the future, as soon as I find a credible transcription of the original templar vows. All the internet has is rubbish, and the only library having them is a "read only" type of library. Damn. Seems like knowledge is indeed veiled:)

A very good start. It sounds as though Daniel has indeed fallen under the authority and influence of the Templars - and has been content to let his views be moulded by them. Not that this would have taken much effort. After all, the 'Mohemmaden scum' do not get any of what today we could call 'a positive press' in the world at this time.

But this indoctrination can prove to be either stubborn or fragile, and I wonder which it will be in Daniel's case.

This also reminds me I have yet to catch-up on your Victoria AAR :(.

Beautifully written Herbert West and my kind of story!

Well done! and Deus Vult!

Thank you both!

stnylan: I'm still waiting for a pm, though it does not matter anymore.P

Anyways, did I manage to portray that his devotion does not come from indoctrination in the modern sense, but the realisation of Gods presence everywhere, and the fulfillment of his need for salvation, and that Daniel thus becomes and instrument of Gods will, a beacon of his shining holiness in the filth of this world?
Its a bit difficult to portray 12th century religious devotion and thought:(

Soulside Journey​

templar.gif

Year Of Our Lord Christ The Saviour, 1152, early winter, Paris

The day of departure had come. Daniel said a few words of kameraderie to his fellow knights, and the squires, servants, and the chaplains who will stay in Paris and treat the local headquarters. He became fond of them, but, much more, he grew fond of the place. the place where he found a new meaning, a new light, the light of God. Still, there was no sorrow in his heart, for there can be no sorrow when you go to the Holy Land, to cleanse and purge it in the name of thy Lord. After murmuring one last prayer in the chapel, he and those who would go with him, to complete their training and test their mettle, left a few minutes after dawn.

Southern France, near the Bourg-des-Saexes

Seeing his old, ancestrial home left an interesting feeling. Not really homesickness, but something else. Like someone else, maybe his old, hedonoistic, sorrowed self, and even the older, the young boy in the dark of his home chapel, had feelings for this place, that hovered somewhere just around the corner of Daniels eye. His new self, however, only felt this little, curious, uncatchable feeling. Besides that, the bulinding ment nothing to him. It ment very much to his order, a new fortress in the south, that was plagued by heresy, and he was quite happy for that.
Then, just, for a moment, some other feeling, maybe originating not even from him, crushed a barrier, flickered trough him mind, a new sensation, never flet before. But as it came, it vanquished. Daniel could hardly remember it afterwards, only a feeling of something amiss remined. He fell back into his silent prayers, and cleansed his soul of such irregularities.

Two days afterwards, one of his fellow knights, someone who noly joined for twenty years, was confonted about this by his borthers:

- Brother Thierry, why did you only join our order for twenty years? Are you unsure of the call of your heart?
- Alass, this is as it is, my borthers. I have done many things in my life, most of which I have told you when you accepted me, and the rest, i will take with me to the Throne Of God. Even our code says that we should not accept those who are not yet ready, to not accept those, who are sent to us by someone, not out of their hearts call.
- But You did join us becouse of your heart. Does your heart falter?
- I do not know, it may. I love our order more than I loved everything in my life, but I am still a man, though created by God, influenced by this unclean world, frail, and twistable. I may stray from the course. And I will not take my borthers with me, if that happens.
- Fear not, brother, for we will help you in your journey. You will not fall with our hands holding you on the right way. You wont fall, becouse we wont fall.
- Nothing lasts forever, borthers, I learned that in my life. I simply do not wish to stay with you if my heart and soul say otherwise. Sould a man not know himself?
- We will help you, brother.
- I will pray for your success.

Genoa, a month later

The rest of the journey to Genoa was uneventful, apart form an attempted robbery of a few sorry soul, who had no chance against the militia christi.

Genoa, on the other hand, was a city bristling with activity and commerce. Such buzzing disturbed Daniel and his companions, who were used to the solemn silence of their home, and the darkness of the chapel. They preyed hard, to protect their soul against the taint of such a city.

For wealth, bring, first and foremost, corruption. For corruption of the wealth itself, the crooked underhand shady business, Daniel gave only a few thoughts, for money did not interest him. But the blight in peoples souls, the rot caused by the excesses of flesh - and they were many in the city, drinking, gambling, woman, even man of fleshly arts, depths of hedonism encountered only in books so far - in this new Sodom did give him much to grieve about. So many souls, lost to his order, lost to the light of God, neck-deep in the filthy of flesh.

He scolded himself for this rejection of all things fleshly, though, for monks may have the luxury of feasting, but a warrior has to stay in good health, and their regula objected strongly to ascetism of any kind.

They set sail after two days, with all templar happy about this. Being a shining beacon in this filthy was a good test, but a very taxing one, more fit for a monk than a warrior monk. Daniel wondered how the Order managed to get them a ship of such capacities, but he knew the Order was very wealthy. It did not trouble him, though, for he knew the wealth was put to good use: the cleansing of the Holy Land.

It was a very long journey, and Daniel had to discover that he was sea-sick. In the brief interruptions of continuous vomiting, the eldest of he brothers briefed them, and told them what few words he had picked up in the Holy Land of the language of the muhammadanians. They may be enemies, but “know thy enemy” was a proverb the Templars knew very well.

Acre, the Kingdom Of Jerusalem

Finally, dry land, Daniel though, and thanked the Lord for surviving the treacherous sea.
Acre was a strong fortress of Christendom, its stone walls and its port enabling it to withstand almost any siege, and thus, very few attempts were ever made. Most of the city followed the Light of God, but there were some jews, tolerated but not welcomed, mostly bevcouse of their bad reputation, and a very few select Moslems, kept there either as hostages, or as ambassadors and sometimes, spies. Outside the city, however, were all the faiths and folk the region had ever seen. Moslems trading, living, loving with Christians, Jews, and a sew obscure sects, all without any restrictions towards religion, for when the necessity that the desert forces, comes, everyone prays for one thing: water.

This hodge-podge of religions and cultures scared and trifled Daniel. How could true God-fearing Christians mingle with muhhamadanian enemies? How could even the soldiers of the Kingdom do business with those who had occupied the Holy Land? Was the christen army Christian only in name, and opportunistic devil at heart? Daniel knew about the necessities of war, but this was far more than that. This was not out of any necessitiy, but out of laziness. The Kingdoms soldiers had grown lazy of fighting!

He saw that his brothers were unmoved by this, though they were not uncaring, as they explained, they simply knew the frailty of man, and assured Daniel that the Templars will always be true to the call of God, and that their actions will save these fail man, for this is the cross every Templar carries upright.

While this did strengthen his heart, news from Jerusalem grieved him. Baldwin, the King, wanted his rightful place, and decided to take it from his mother, by force. There was infighting even amongst the chrisitans! Unspeakable! Daniel vowed the instant he heard this to cleanse the Holy Land of filth not only form without, but also from within. The moment he made this vow, a strange light seemed to flicker for a moment in his soul, as if he had found a hidden gem.

Temple Mount, near the Well Of Souls

A messenger arrived, handed the Master a parchment, and then sped off again. The Grand Master Of All Templars read it, then nodded silently, and smiled within. Someone promising was coming.

Near Jerusalem, weeks after landfall in Acre

Finally, the journey was nearing its end. Daniel had heard the news of Baldwins victory, and also heard that it was not Baldwin, but his mother, Melisende, who forced the fight, unwilling to give up her rule, and even cooperating with the saracens! Daniel was happy now. Baldwin may even be a true, God-fearing christian.

As he murmured his hundered-and-twelft Lords prayer out of the prescribed hundred and fourty-eight a day, he glimpsed Jerusalem.

The City Of God, in all its glory, all its holiness, all its walls and towers and churches piercing the sky, and the Temple Mount, the very center and origin of the Christian world, lay beautifully ont he horizon.

I hope you like todays installment.

I was thinking of maybe swithing to or including some passages written in first person, like diary entries from our hero, Daniel.

(If anyone find balant historical inaccuracies, please report:))

And my previous question does still apply:)

Episteme lo vult!

A great update, though you've stalled me from updating mine Damn you :p

The accuracy seems fine to me, though this isn't my period of expertise, the only thing I would say it to run it through a spell checker, as there were a few typo's there.

Nevertheless, top standard!

Herbert West said:
I hope you like todays installment.

I most certainly did. You have a new fan Herbert. Looking forward to following this one keenly, and to learning a thing or two new I hope.

Awsome.
Seriously.

English Partiot: I am sorry (not):p. I did run the thing trough a spell-checker, though, and it did not show up typos. I'll correct them, though, as soon as I find the time. You can (all) help me with PMing typos as you find them:)
(I'll read your AARs in time, but the university is a demanding slave-owner)

Rex Angliae: In The Name Of Baphomet, welcome aboard!

Jeffg006: Thank you.

Navel Of The World

templar.gif

The rest of the trip to Jerusalem was filled with an air of anxiousness, everyone eager to finally enter the Holiest Of Cities. Their last night was restless, filled with dreams of grandeour and visions of saints and prophets, the amalgam of spirituality in the city bringing its influence to bear. Daniel dreamt of a woman clad in shining green, with a crown upon her head, surely a sign form the Holy Mother Of Christ.

The small cohort of crusaders entered the holy city by the first rays of the morning sun. The bright, vibrant colours of the desert and of the city darted on and off their polished armour, for they intended to enter the Navel as every christian should, upright, beaming, with faith strong, and determination unfaltering.

Along with the sunrays, many a look darted on and off these men. Some looks were filled with awe, others with adoration, some with respect, some with a yearning passion for the salvation they represented. And from gutters and shadowed alleys, some looks more sinister and deep. Looks filled with hatred, with contempt, with disdain, with anger, and, some looks, beaming pillars of questioning and seeking in the ocean of uniformity, with interest and prospection, a look that measured and judged, some worthy, others not.

The way to the Temple Mount was a long and telling one, a journey trough wealth, time, and culture alike. The outskirt of Jerusalem, outside the great wall, and perched against it from the inside, were much akin to the poorer regions of any city, at first glance. At a second glance, one could see the differences: the cacophony of voices akin to the time when the Tower Of Babylon fell, the prayers and chants of christian pilgrims, clad in rags, or sometimes, even less, intermingled with the shouts of arabic travelling merchants selling their exotic wares, and arguing with jewish customers. People all around the known world were there, dancing to a vibrant beat radiated out from the city.

This cocomotion terrified and awed Daniel at the same time. So many different cultures, all their colours and sound, this was something very different from what he expected. He though he’d see a city devoted in solemnity, in peace and silence to God. Still, the prayers of the pilgrims reassured him, for true christians made their way trough suffering and hardships to reach this place. Yet, there were others here. Jews. And of all creatures, moslems! Enemies of the true faith, enemies of the people of God. And they mingled and traded and talked with the pilgrims! Sacrilege!

His anger subdued somewhat when they reached the middle section of the city, filled with houses and small estates of the lower nobility and the burghers. His anger then quickly rose again when he saw what most of the merchant houses were: temples dedicated to the only god these people knew, Mammon. Idolatry, gold-worship, within the very walls of Jerusalem? Daniel almost shook in his anger, and it took him much willpower and many a silent prayer to remain calm.

Then, near one of these houses, one more decorated than the others, a vague feeling gripped him. A feeling akin to what one feels if one has been wandering int he darkness of a jet-black night, and suddenly sees a welcoming light in the distance. And it came with a strangely reassuring feeling of doubt. As Daniel turned his head to see the origin of this feeling, he saw something green glistening in the darkness of an alley, and then, sight, sound, and feeling were gone, and left him with a void that his quickly muttered payers had trouble filling.

Then, at long last, they entered the innermost city. The very centre of the holiness of the Christian world. Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Tomb Of David, The Temple Mount itself, now before their eyes.

This was the city that Daniel envisioned, silent in its many prayers, protected by an aura of holiness that would repulse anyone not of clear heart. The smell of incense lay thickly in the air, transforming the whole exterior of the innermost city into a church. The residence of King Baldwin, and the Temple Of Solomon, the headquarters of his order, was now only an arms length away. Yet, they all stopped at every church along their way to pray, and thank their Lord for safe arrival, and to breathe where even the air seemed to be holy.

They entered The Temple Of Solomon at nightfall, and hurried to greet the King of Jerusalem, Baldwin the Third.

The King was busy organising the upcoming campaign that would finally bring Ascalon into christian hands, and received his guests standing. Daniel remained silent during the short conversation, his mind focused more inwards than outwards. He could not escape to see that while Baldwin, despite having made war upon his own mother, was a devout christian, some of his advisors, regents, counts and dukes all, were not so pure in heart. Was now the very Kingdom falling into the hands of the ungodly? An unwelcoming dart of doubts stuck him in his heart.

There was no time for introversion left, though, as the troupe now made its way trough the many halls of the Temple to the headquarters of their order, where they were to greet their own Lord, Bernard de Tramelay.

Bernard was a man worthy of his title, having rebuilt the wasteland of Gaza just a year ago, his will overcoming every difficulty his order encountered. He came from the strong stock of mountainman from the Jura, and devouted his life to the Order at the very first opportunity. He rose trough the ranks quickly, his wit and cunning showing in battles of steal and of pen alike.

Welcome on the City Of Our Lord, my brothers!
The crusader knelt before their master, the hilt of their swords held against their foreheads like a cross, and fell into prayer.
In the name of God, we greet you, Grand Master!
I hope your journey was without difficulties, brothers. I prayed for your safe arrival.

Something tingled inside Daniel. There was something amiss about this Grand Master. He radiated an aura of chrisitan devotion, yes, but something deeper was buried under it. Something definitely not christian, yet, older, wiser, and more assuring in tis doubtfulness than they chants of prayers. Something screaming at him from the very core of his being, its voice un-understandable, muffled, veiled behind curtains. A feeling of radiance, of inversion.
This was simply not right, and simply, could not be. He was the foremost athleta christi in this world! He focused back onto the prayers he murmured, and the chants, the weight of spirit that the rock itself radiated soon crushed his doubt, and refilled its place with reassurance in Gods Light.

Bernard addressed Daniel, an unexpected move, a declaration of equality within these walls, something shocking fro the young Templar.

You seem troubled, brother.

Indeed, I am, master. This is the city of God, yet, heathens, moslems, jews wander within its walls, merchants worship gold directly under our gaze? How can this be?

I understand your qualms, borther, and I share most of them. However, time is our ally here. When the franks first entered this city, they burned, they looted, they killed, without exception, man, woman, and child alike, chritian or other. Such an atrocity can not be let to pass again! Their work was horrible, unworthy of Christians, unworthy of man. Now, we must act slowly in this city, for it hangs in a fragile balance. Outside, like hungry wolves, the moslems gather to retake what it rightfully ours. Inside, like vultures, dukes and counts gather for lands of the Kingdom. We have to show them that order can be, and is, kept by no one else, but us. We are the judge the Kingdom calls. We are the sword the moslems fear. And we, only we can force Christians, jews, and moslems, to live next to each other. Right now, chrisian numbers are few. Fear not. When more pilgrims will settle within these walls, we shall slaughter the non-belivers, all of them.

But why are our numbers so few?

Home has grown tired of war. And, more importantly, the age-old snake of infighting has reared its ugly head here as well. We can not fight against it, so we will control it.

But this is heresy! This is ungodly work!

Brother! Calm thyself! How can servitude to God be heresy?

For-forgive me, my Master, I shant doubt thy word again.

Good. Rest now, borther, for tomorrow, we shall strike at our enemies, and I want you to lead our forces!

Daniel was worried. Was his faith now put to test? Was his over-zealousnes a sin? And why was he assigned such a task at his first day?

In his chamber, Bernard smiled to himself. Yes, he was good material.