Balkan Problem Solved achievement requirements

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Goodfontana

First Lieutenant
26 Badges
Sep 16, 2020
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hey guys,

I have a couple questions regarding specific requirements for the achievement Balkan Problem Solved (and Prussia of the Balkans):

- Do you need to own the territories or just control them?
- Do these territories include Istria and Zara?
- Are Edirne and Istanbul included?

If only Paradox gave a detailed list of requirements for the achievements...

Code:
prussia_of_the_balkans = {
    id = 125

possible = {
        is_ironman = yes
        difficulty > 1
        has_start_date < 1936.01.02
        has_any_custom_difficulty_setting = no
        game_rules_allow_achievements = yes
        original_tag = BUL
    }

happened = {
        has_war_with = TUR
        TUR = { has_capitulated = yes }
        custom_trigger_tooltip = {
            tooltip = prussia_of_the_balkans_tt
            all_state = {
                OR = {
                    NOT = {
                        is_core_of = ROM
                        is_core_of = YUG
                        is_core_of = GRE
                        is_core_of = ALB
                    }
                    state = 164
                    is_controlled_by = BUL
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
Prussia of the Balkans requires you to play as Bulgaria and control all Romanian, Yugoslavian, Greek, and Albanian cores with the exception of the Dodecanese, having also beaten Turkey in a war.

Code:
balkan_problem_solved = {
    id = 126

possible = {
        is_ironman = yes
        difficulty > 1
        has_start_date < 1936.01.02
        has_any_custom_difficulty_setting = no
        game_rules_allow_achievements = yes
        original_tag = BUL
    }

happened = {
        has_government = communism
        is_faction_leader = yes
        has_completed_focus = BUL_the_unification_of_the_balkans
        custom_trigger_tooltip = {
            tooltip = balkan_problem_solved_tt
            all_state = {
                OR = {
                    NOT = { is_core_of = BUL }
                    is_controlled_by = BUL
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
Balkan Problem Solved requires you to play as Bulgaria, be communist and a faction leader, to have completed the focus The unification of the Balkans, and control all Bulgarian cores.

Don't these lists show up in the lists of requirements in-game?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah I read the code (even though I'm not good at that), but I'm still confused because if you read the wording of the achievement, it says "As Communist Bulgaria, form the United Balkan Federation and OWN all Balkan States as cores".

And when you form the Balkan Federation, you get cores in places such as Istria, Zara and Dodecanese, but then you read the wiki and it says the requirements are:

- Current ruling party is Communist
- Is faction leader
- Has completed the focus "The Unification of the Balkans"
- Owns the core states of Romania, Greece, Yugoslavia, and Albania as core states

And then in the notes it says "While achievement toolbox doesn't mention it, but you need turkish territories in Balkans for it to trigger"

So with this information, you would think that you need to OWN (not control) all the states you get cores on, which includes Istria, Zara and Dodecanese

But then, as you point out, if you read the code, it says, for both achievements "is_controlled_by = BUL" and maybe it is because, as I said, I'm not good at reading code, but I see no mention in any of the 2 to not having to own nor control Dodecanese. If it was listed as an exception somehow, I could check if they also include Zara and Istria as exceptions, but I can't see anything like that.

This is why I'm confused, I have 3 places to look into the exact requirements, and all 3 seem to contradict each other, which is why I came with my 3 initial questions:

- Do you need to own the territories or just control them?
- Do these territories include Istria and Zara?
- Are Edirne and Istanbul included?

My main problem is that, since I already got these achievements several months ago, I don't exactly remember when they triggered, and now I want to create a proper guide for others but I'm having trouble explaining the exact requirements (which would alter the strategy significantly, is very different to gain control of a state than having to defeat an entire faction to get them in a peace deal).

Thanks for your help in advance, especially if one of the devs is kind enough to be clear about this for once.

But then, as you point out, if you read the code, it says, for both achievements "is_controlled_by = BUL" and maybe it is because, as I said, I'm not good at reading code, but I see no mention in any of the 2 to not having to own nor control Dodecanese. If it was listed as an exception somehow, I could check if they also include Zara and Istria as exceptions, but I can't see anything like that.
It's this bit:
Code:
all_state = {
                OR = {
                    NOT = {
                        is_core_of = ROM
                        is_core_of = YUG
                        is_core_of = GRE
                        is_core_of = ALB
                    }
                    state = 164
                    is_controlled_by = BUL
                }
            }
In other words, for an achievement to fire, all states in the game must be (at least one of):
> Not a core of Romania, Yugoslavia, Greece, and/or Albania
> State 164 (The Dodecanese)
> Controlled by BUL(garia)

If the wiki lists something different as a requirement, then either the wiki is wrong, or the code I grabbed is wrong, or I've interpreted the code incorrectly. I would assume that the right code would lead you to the right triggers, though.

Reactions:
The code is all that matters for the achievement. The achievement descriptions in-game are often less than helpful.

For the "Balkan Problem Solved" achievement specifically, a big reason for the wiki discrepancies are that when the DLC first dropped, you only needed to complete the "Unification of the Balkans" focus to get the achievement. This was due to a typo in the achievement code. They've since fixed the typo, so it's now working as originally intended.

I've tried and failed several times to grab the "Prussia of the Balkans" achievement, so I'd love to read your guide for that one when you're ready to share it.