• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

incognitus

General
25 Badges
Jun 17, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Hey guys!

Tried to ween myself off pointless video games, but to no avail.... after playing Empire Total War for a while and getting frustrated by how it lacks so much depth that EU can offer... I'm thinking to return to EU for a while.

Now I'm wondering... is there any point in returning to EU3 or is EUIV just better in every way? I have about 650 hours spent on EU4, but that was years ago (June 2014) and I have none of the DLC released after 2013. Last time I played EU3 was in 2016 and I have certainly spent far more time playing this than EU4. So I'd obviously have to relearn either game.

I don't really like EU4 somehow, when playing it back in the day, I always felt that EU3 was... more. Having said that and seeing how there is virtually no activity on the EU3 forums (neither here nor on another forum I use), I guess that pretty much everyone has moved on to EU4?

Basically my question is: Should I just go with the time and play EU4? How necessary would the newer DLCs be? Also, if I wanted to go back to EU3, for which I own all the DLC, obviously, should I go vanilla or is there a must-have mod that just flat-out enhances the game without taking anything signifcant way in return?

I took a brief look at EU4 and decided to stick with EU3. Apparently EU4 got a lot better after some of the DLCs were added, but I can't say from my own experience. I'm still playing EU3, and have an active AAR in progress.

The mods for EU3 all seem to be trade-offs between improvements and things that I don't care for, so I'm content with playing vanilla for most campaigns.

I took a brief look at EU4 and decided to stick with EU3. Apparently EU4 got a lot better after some of the DLCs were added, but I can't say from my own experience. I'm still playing EU3, and have an active AAR in progress.

The mods for EU3 all seem to be trade-offs between improvements and things that I don't care for, so I'm content with playing vanilla for most campaigns.
Same as HoI3 for you then, eh @Kovax ? :)

I tried eu4 as well when it came out, but figured it took the game in a bad direction. Would probably still be playing eu3 multiplayer if there were players and I had time :) Multiplayer was generally played on the ZZFZ beta patch of 5.2. which didn't yet have the manpower/truce changes (manpower regen 2 years instead of 10 and 5 year truces). That made the game have faster tempo and warring more forgiving.