• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

celco

Corporal
30 Badges
Jun 26, 2020
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I always wanted to do a Babylon run and the latest Marius update seemed the perfect occasion to attempt it. The start is relatively slow as the Seleucid empire (and Bactria!!) can be challenging to take down with Tylos. I was going for a tall play once Mesopotamia under control with large client states. But around 620 I did the mistake to test out the imperial challenge casus belli on Rome. My vassals conquered horrible borders for me so I had to transform the game into a gigantic conquest.

Western Empire:
20210610124510_1.jpg

Eastern Empire:
20210610124448_1.jpg

Babylon:
20210610124617_1.jpg

Sadness:
20210610125000_1.jpg

20210610124520_1.jpg
20210610124526_1.jpg
20210610124816_1.jpg

20210610124825_1.jpg

20210610124836_1.jpg

20210610124845_1.jpg
20210610124743_1.jpg

20210610124753_1.jpg
20210610124654_1.jpg

20210610124701_1.jpg

20210610124710_1.jpg

20210610124714_1.jpg

20210610124721_1.jpg

Attachments

• 20210610124510_1.jpg
    20210610124510_1.jpg
    420,8 KB · Views: 0
  • 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
My vassals conquered horrible borders for me so I had to transform the game into a gigantic conquest.
Blaming your poor vassals for a late world conquest attempt... :p

By the way, well done!

(PS: the flag looks fantastic)

• 5Haha
Reactions:
Blaming your poor vassals for a late world conquest attempt... :p

By the way, well done!

(PS: the flag looks fantastic)
Well... one of them decided to sail from the black see to northern France and capture territory over there even thought I didn't even have Greece at the time. I feel the blame is justified o_O

Thanks! Great fun and to much micro!

• 2Like
Reactions:
For what it’s worth… the tech Tributary Concessions is helpful when vassals capture territories you don’t want via the Imperial challenge, plus it helps with the AE… but I guess building a giant empire is always another option.

Reactions:
For what it’s worth… the tech Tributary Concessions is helpful when vassals capture territories you don’t want via the Imperial challenge, plus it helps with the AE… but I guess building a giant empire is always another option.
You can also release withit tributary concessions as Client States. If you dont want to keep, release from Client State status

How did you manage the early game ? I'd like to give it a try too.
I though it would require patience, but actually your first war should come up pretty quickly.

0) Save money. This is not just the first step but you shoud do that all along (at least until you have Mesopotamia under control)
1) Delete your navy as it will not necessarily help. Same for the buildings. Keep the fort as the unique building.
2) Wars:
Preparations: Keep an eye on Seleucid Empire and get military access with your neighbors (do not ally them, they will simply cost you war score). They will go to war pretty soon in the west. Wait for a couple of month for their troops to have moved to that front. Make sure your own levies are ready at the Seleucid border. Make claims on the closest regions.
The war: Go straight to occupy the region capital. Once this is done go and sack any city you can find (hard sack option since your ruler is in charge). You can think about raising some mercenaries, but don't expect to win major battles. Use them to have their amries follow them around while your levies sack cities. The major threat are actually the super powerful armies from Bactria. Don't panic if their navy blockades your home territory. They will leave eventually.
The Peace: I made a very tight white peace with them. The main goal was to get the money from the sacking. If you mange to take lands early, only take the regions/territory which would help you form Babylon. I would recommend to wait as any of these territories will be besieged and cost you war-score in future war.
3) Repeat the same styles of war for the next 1-2 wars.
4) Once you have a solid amount in the bank you can think about raising mercenaries to fight them properly. Bribe their own mercenaries to get over the limit. Again only take territories/regions which are required to form Babylon. If you have too much war-score, release Bactria. They are a huge pain.
5) Once you have formed Babylon you are in a similar position as any other medium power in the region. You will change culture so you will have access to a lot of levies as well as more mercenaries.

Reactions: