• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Brandenburg III

A Smooth Operator
25 Badges
Jun 22, 2007
  • Lead and Gold
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • The Kings Crusade
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • East India Company Collection
  • Darkest Hour
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
I briefly thought about beginning another AAR but even AARs updated once a day often lasts roughly a month and a half. After doing nothing but getting ready for the change I suddenly find myself with a ton of time on my hands for the next four weeks. So I have a “little” extra vodka sitting around which I have to finish off any way, why not create an AAR with it? I know what you’re saying, that I became bored with Austria pretty quickly the last time I tried but I have a new premise, one that will work. And what am I if not original and thinking of new ideas?

I had said in the past that if I did one of these AARs it’d probably be with FtG but playing a game in this way will result in my ultimate annexation fairly quickly. For some reason FtG is tougher than EU3. I had also considered using CK privately after I briefly played a small duchy that turned into inheriting a spot as the leader of the Byzantium Empire but I realized keeping tract of all the characters would probably drive me insane when trying to tell you what happened. Victoria 2 still isn’t working, Rome lacks a certain something for this style and HOI2 doesn’t cut it for me on any level.

The guts:

- Before I begin a session, a rough equivalent of four shots must be ingested. After that, all bets are off.

- After each hour of play, I’ll publish a post stating what’s happened in the game.

- I cannot trade tech for land. If I trade for land, I can only trade it province for province, this means I cannot trade two pieces of land for one nor can I include cash or technology in the land trade. One province of land for one province of land.

- When the session is over [or I become bored], I’ll pick it up again and follow the above rules whenever I get the itch again.

- If I want to raise relations with a nation, I have to hit the “Improve Relations” button rather than go the cheat [or beginner] route by gifting 100.

- Every post I write will have either a song lyric or a movie quote. If you happen to guess correctly before the next update comes, you’ll win the

34ywygx.jpg

award.

Wear it with pride.

I don’t expect too many people to be around when I do this (mostly weeknights/days depending on where you are) but if you want to comment either during or after, feel free to do so because this will go on until 25 February at the latest.

The status of Japan:

First, I wanted to civilize and get through all the uneventful pre-civilizing stuff so I would actually be able to get somewhere... and because I know chaos will explode once I have 0 BB and a new civilized status surrounded by a bunch of uncivs (this kind of includes Russia. ;) )

To be honest, I actually had to search for and mod how to make Japan a civilized nation. I never received the Perry Event and was never given a chance to civilize before a reasonable time. Given this, I decided to civilize myself in order to make for an interesting game. My stats are below.

Year: January 6, 1878
Divisions: 54
Ships: 117
Cash: 381,484
Prestige: +198
BB: 0
Industry: 978
Population: 45,238,000
Allied with the Ottoman Empire

Goals?

When I first thought about doing this, I wanted to drive into California, Alaska, Canada and Mexico but now I’m thinking maybe Siberia, pieces of China and the entire consumption of Southeast Asia. But really, who knows how this beast is going to transform. Sober I would expect an incredibly easy game and I still think I can do some great things with Japan with - not under - the influence.

My first post may be 0100 EST/ 0600 GMT tonight/today.

Last edited:
- If I want to raise relations with a nation, I have to hit the “Improve Relations” button rather than go the cheat [or beginner] route by gifting 100.

What ??!! Is that possible ? I am a pretty experienced vicky player but I never thought about that. Well.... it is kind of gamy, so I will not use it anyway.

Good luck.

Btw, have you thought about joining that contest ? Or have you already ?

olvirki: Yeah, bring up the trade screen, gift 100 and relations go up +10. As for the contest, no, I don’t have any interest in it. I write gameplays and those types of AARs generally don’t do too well when mixed with the other genres. Being an unknown or popular are also advantages and I am neither for a few reasons. So I don’t give a whole lot of credit to contests especially after being able to see the judges results of the Victoria II one.

The electric went out for a while so I put the game on hold for now. I’ll probably have my first post out in two or three hours of my first completed hour.

I’ve decided to give a brief update of what went on in the world prior to my 1878 start date.

Japan: Raised relations with Russia throughout much of the 1830's and 1840's. Traded a tech and cash early on for the Russian claim on North Sakhalin and turned it into a state. With my raised relations with Russia, I often traded two techs at a time when I could so my research wouldn’t be bogged down for decades. In the 1860's I let my relation with Russia fall to what it is now after I could no longer trade techs with Russia and slowly concentrated on the Ottoman Empire. Tech trading began with the Ottomans in the 1870's and while I was at it, just recently signed an offensive alliance - exemption Austria - with the OE. There are still plenty of techs I can trade with the OE so I imagine I’ll have an interest in them for at least another 15 to 20 years. Lastly, I imagine Japan mainland to consist of nothing but soldier POPs and industrial workers while my future conquests will bring in the raw materials I need. We’ll see how that works out. I have four naval bases, one fort - through event - and every Japanese province has level 1 railroads.

Austria: Austria, in this game, is strong. During their war in Italy and S.P., they were able to take all but two mainland S.P. provinces, Modena (after they were annexed by S.P.) and overran southern France - with the help of Prussia. After Prussia and France signed a white peace, the Austrians were pushed back to their borders - formerly Sardinia's borders. Austria now borders France.

Egypt: They’re independent and have conquered Yemen.

Ottoman Empire: Recently annexed one of the Arabian countries.

Russia: They haven’t done much and I believe they’re incredibly weak. They lost the Crimean War in four months.

Germany: Its formed, Denmark is a satellite and they’ve inherited nearly all the German states.

UK: Early on, during a UK/China war, UK took five disjointed provinces from China - only two of the five are connected. In addition, they expanded their role in Central America after a war with Mexico which ended with the UK taking five Mexican provinces off of Belize.

Screenshots will be few and far between but I’ll try to upload one per update. Somehow after I modded Japan as a civilized state on January 1878 I must’ve did something so I can’t take shots with F11. Not a big deal since I wasn’t planning on taking a bunch anyway. Over the course of play I’ll probably send shots of random, important places when nothing much happens.