• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Patriarch of Bub

Lauc hum et Folgoratrix
28 Badges
Sep 11, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Quick update: I'm moving house. It will take me a bit more to do the #2 publication. Sorry if disappointed :(

Aztec Codex Weekly Hub

Welcome to the Hub of the project. The project will consist of a weekly publication on the fascinating Aztec culture, which you can expect to read on the forum every (mostly) Sunday, starting from next Sunday.

From this Hub you will be able to access all the publications made as well as links to other secondary threads on the topic.

The first publication next week will make heavy use of the (untranslated) "Historia General de las Cosas de Nueva Espana" by Brother Bernardino de Sahagún also known as the "Codex Florentino". You will be able to find that and any other source used, at the end of each publication's thread.

Screenshot_20190526-145247.png

Our study of the Aztecs will therefore start with the study of their religion and mythology, as it was Brother Bernardino's belief, that to better convert the Aztecs he should first understand their gods.
Screenshot_20190526-145256.png
The 2 pictures here present are the note to the reader by the author and the first among the many illustration present in the book, portraying some of the Aztec Pantheon.

I hope with this project to share my interest with other lovers of history which are abundant here on the forums.

Current Links:

Aztec Great work: discussion/suggestion on the current great work, and proposals for improvements/mods.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/aztec-pyramid.1180589/#post-25489824

Aztec Codex Weekly Publications: Stay updated on the more current news. Check here to see if a publication received an update, date and content of original + update.

#1 (2nd of June 2019): on gods and sacrifice. (to be update with pictures, greater details and accuracy)
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/aztec-codex-weekly-1.1184934/

Last edited:
Awesome!

Thank you! <3

Is that an attempt to make sunset invasion dlc more popular?

But in all seriousness, cool idea.

Ahah, in a way yes. I'm doing this for 2 reasons. First is personal interest and sharing it. I hope to gain a few readers.

Secondly i look forward, after learning some serious modding, to present Paradox with a full update for Sunset Invasion, complete with art, background, new mechanics, cultures and societies based on Sunset invasion.

And if that won't happen then I'll turn it into a mod.

Bear in mind, I'm doing this in my spare time. :3

Fascinating initiative! CK2's Aztecs are alt-history but I appreciate how they provide a glimpse into Native American culture & traditions.

Makes me wish Aztecs didn't convert away so easily, but rather had the same resistance to conversion as Romuva Pagans. They have a unique faith with unique mechanics that ought to resist Catholic missionaries for longer.

God how I wish the Aztecs or other non-mayans mesoamericans had invented or adapted some kind of writing system. The Nahuatl codices were written after the europeans arrival and in many cases contradict each other when it comes to historical retelling, seemingly they were made by natives as a way to get the Spanish to recognize their claim to some kind of noble native lineage (frequently they retold the ancestry of dynasties). Thus our understanding of accurate precolumbian mesoamerican political history is rather limited and in many cases almost based on legendary accounts. On the mayans' side we have some writing but even then it's also limited information.

Its Bernardino of Sahagun, not Sahagu'n.

He was born in the town of Sahagun on Spain. His true name was Bernardo de Rivera.

Anyways, i love to read books in old spanish, I feel that these colonial writers were so humble and close (my hobby consist on read primary sources about inca, mapuche and mayan culture)...for example, on the second image, the author compare the aztec deities with the ones from the greco roman pantheon, so he compares Huitzilopochtli (Vitzilobuchtli on the text), with Hercules (he plainly says that he is "other hercules".) and Tezcatlipoca with Jupiter (other jupiter), Sahagun is like a kid describing what he saw on the local museum, so his work has some innocence attached to it.

The most notable thing about his work its the relevance that still has.

The most sad thing about most precolumbian cultures, its that we dont have many accounts written by the natives themselves (most of them were burned by the conquerors), so nearly everything its understood and explained from the perspective of the other, the foreigner, the enemy.

Thanks for sharing this, good project.

God how I wish the Aztecs or other non-mayans mesoamericans had invented or adapted some kind of writing system. The Nahuatl codices were written after the europeans arrival and in many cases contradict each other when it comes to historical retelling, seemingly they were made by natives as a way to get the Spanish to recognize their claim to some kind of noble native lineage (frequently they retold the ancestry of dynasties). Thus our understanding of accurate precolumbian mesoamerican political history is rather limited and in many cases almost based on legendary accounts. On the mayans' side we have some writing but even then it's also limited information.

The inca had their Quipus, but we lost the knowledge to completely undestand them, most of the records kept by the Incas were destroyed by the spaniards and even if the use of them continued to this day after the persecution they faced, lots of records were lost.

Last edited:
Its Bernardino of Sahagun, not Sahagu'n.

He was born in the town of Sahagun on Spain. His true name was Bernardo de Rivera.

Anyways, i love to read books in old spanish, I feel that these colonial writers were so humble and close (my hobby consist on read primary sources about inca, mapuche and mayan culture)...for example, on the second image, the author compare the aztec deities with the ones from the greco roman pantheon, so he compares Huitzilopochtli (Vitzilobuchtli on the text), with Hercules (he plainly says that he is "other hercules".) and Tezcatlipoca with Jupiter (other jupiter), Sahagun is like a kid describing what he saw on the local museum, so his work has some innocence attached to it.

The most notable thing about his work its the relevance that still has.

The most sad thing about most precolumbian cultures, its that we dont have many accounts written by the natives themselves (most of them were burned by the conquerors), so nearly everything its understood and explained from the perspective of the other, the foreigner, the enemy.

Thanks for sharing this, good project.

The inca had their Quipus, but we lost the knowledge to completely undestand them, most of the records kept by the Incas were destroyed by the spaniards and even if the use of them continued to this day after the persecution they faced, lots of records were lost.
Ah yes, very good point. It took me awhile (I'm not exactly tech savvy with phones) but I now have access to accented letters, so i will fix the town name in the first post.

I was discussing this topic with my friend who is an archeologist. He gave me some really good tips and info which I'll elaborate later.
Truly only few native codex have survived, and when looking at the European codex, one must be careful of the content and possible forgeries or hearsay passed as fact.

He did however reassured me of the relevance of the Codex Florentino.

When describing "other Hercules" and alike, it is curious to see how he was trying to allow either himself or us, the presumed Spanish reader, to understand their pantheon by adding some familiarity to it :D

Very informative, thank you!!

Rest assured, I wasn't try to demonise the Spaniards. A lot of "common knowledge" on Spanish colonialism is derived through centuries of the Leyenda Negra (Black Legend), a great anti-Spanish and anti-Catholic propagandistic movement brought forward by other nationalities, mainly the English. Unfortunately some stuff lingers on to this very day.
As a Catholic myself I had to go through some bs that was started as propaganda and has stayed much untouched in the English speaking world.
My archeologist friend on the other hand is Spanish, and could probably make a thesis on the Leyenda Negra.

This codex I'm reading is compiled with information collected from the Aztecs by a Spanish missionary, himself stating that the Aztecs, though considered barbaric, were quite a respectable society, maybe even ahead of some others who considered themselves at the top.

That said, my study won't focus on the Spanish conquest and colonization, but on Aztec society.

Though I'm aware there was a loss of codices and other documentations, I'm well aware that there is quite some material left to read, archeological evidence etc ...
In fact, it is the amount of material which encouraged me to start this.

Thanks again for your links! :3

Edit: weird wording

Last edited:
This is a quote from your second link.

"Thus, a focus on codices ignores the works of Spanish friars and Nahua scribes that created an encyclopedic work of ethnography like Sahagun's General History of the Things of New Spain, a multi-volume compendium covering everything from dynastic genealogy to religious rituals to medical practices to bean selling."

It mentions the exact codex I'm reading :D
Truly it is a fascinating book.