Ayşe Sultan - Liz Taylor's Ottoman Rival

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tunch Khan

the Infidel
110 Badges
Jan 2, 2002
Visit site
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Legio
  • The Kings Crusade
Ayşe Sultan b. 16?? d. 1656 was the daughter of Sultan Ahmed I by Kösem Sultan and loving sister of (the eventual Sultan) Murad IV -- and Liz Taylor's Ottoman rival in the game of 'multiple marriages'. But Ayşe's 'marrying game' was a grisly one -- none of her seven husbands lasted more than five years before perishing, for one reason or another...

With her mind attuned to the wishes of the sultanate, Ayşe Sultan had a succession of husbands starting with the aged Sadrazam Nasuh Paşa -- when she was not much more than a child. Three years later her husband failed in his duty to the Sultan and met his fate at the hands of the bostancı -- in the traditional manner, by strangulation.

After barely enough time to respectfully grieve her loss, she was remarried -- this time to Karakaş Mehmed Paşa. But within five years, he too had passed on to a better world -- due to apparently natural causes.

Her third husband was the Beylerbeyi of Van province, Hafiz Ahmed Paşa -- a former slave of Kösem Sultan. This marriage (involving lots of political skulduggery) pitted Kösem Sultan (the winner) against the Grand Vizier Kemankeş Ali Paşa (the loser). But the in-fighting went for naught before wedding celebrations were barely underway. The day after the wedding, while defending his castle from marauding bandits, Hafiz Ahmed Paşa was killed.

Marriage number four -- arranged according to the wishes of (then) Sultan Murad IV -- was to the 'mayor' of Diyarbakır, Mustaza Paşa. But, sadly, Mustaza suffered mortal wounds and didn't return with the rest of the troops after the Revan war campaign.

The list goes on...

Ayşe's fifth husband Vizier Ahmed Paşa was also killed in battle -- during an Ottoman attack on Crete.

Next in line was the Kaptan-i Derya, Voynuk Ahmed Paşa -- of which little is reported, except that he also soon passed away.

Finally...Ayşe's last husband was the Sadrazam, İpşir Mustafa Paşa -- who, on Murad IV's orders (but actually at Grand Admiral Kara Murat Paşa's instigation), was decapitated by the Janissaries -- for some courtly misdemeanor or other. This last dead husband proved to be the undoing of Ayşe -- and in 1656 (during the reign of Sultan Mehmed IV) she also passed away.75

Should we be glad she finally 'escaped' all those deadly marital entanglements or should we be sorry that she never found a lasting love?

Were any of these marriages consumated? Any children?

How come the ottoman sultans had so much difficulty knocking up there womenfolk? IIRC after Mehmed IV there was only one male ottoman left, I know brothers were generally killed but as each sultan had quite afew wives it seems odd. Also why on earth did they lock up princes until it was there turn to rule? The risk of civil war seems unimportant to me given how rebellious the pashas were any way. It would have been much more reasonable to actually have effective sultans who had been trained to rule (and might in time have brough the pashas under control).

D. Marlborough said:
Were any of these marriages consumated? Any children?

How come the ottoman sultans had so much difficulty knocking up there womenfolk? IIRC after Mehmed IV there was only one male ottoman left, I know brothers were generally killed but as each sultan had quite afew wives it seems odd. Also why on earth did they lock up princes until it was there turn to rule? The risk of civil war seems unimportant to me given how rebellious the pashas were any way. It would have been much more reasonable to actually have effective sultans who had been trained to rule (and might in time have brough the pashas under control).
Gee, and i wonder why did the mightiest empire on the face of earth at 16th century crumble and fall... :)

D. Marlborough said:
Also why on earth did they lock up princes until it was there turn to rule? The risk of civil war seems unimportant to me given how rebellious the pashas were any way. It would have been much more reasonable to actually have effective sultans who had been trained to rule (and might in time have brough the pashas under control).

pasha=high ranked general.(like a field marshall)
i think you mean veizirs,advisors.

olso,searh for "cem sultan",you will find out why.

moonlapse said:
pasha=high ranked general.(like a field marshall)
i think you mean veizirs,advisors.

olso,searh for "cem sultan",you will find out why.

Pasha could also be governors.