• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter I

27th January 1914
Dolmabahçe Palace, Istanbul

palacefront.jpg

The Dolmabahçe Palace

The Sultans of the Ottoman Empire had moved their administrative centre to the Dolmabahçe Palace at its completion in 1856, during the reign of Abd-ül-Mejid I, in order to take advantage of the modern facilities not available in their former residence, the Topkapi Palace. The main palace consisted of three parts - The Imperial Mabeyn, Muayede Salon, and the Imperial Harem. The Mabeyn is the state apartments, and where the Sultan conducted affairs of state. The Muayede Salon is the Ceremonial Hall, where the Sultan received statesman and dignitaries on state occasions and religious festivals. The Harem is where the Sultan and his family lead their private lives.

Sultanabdulmejidi.jpg

Abd-ül-Mejid I, the Sultan at the time of the palace's completion

sultanmehmedv.jpg

The current Sultan, Mehmed V

Currently, Sultan Mehmed V was discussing issues with his viziers, in the audience chamber…

palaceaudiencechamber.jpg

The Sultan's audience chamber

“Where is Sallamak? He made his word that he would return here on this day!” As the Sultan brought his fist down heavily onto the table, a bead of sweat dripped from the nose of a vizier, splashing onto the polished mahogany wood. Mehmed glared across the room at him. “How dare you disgust me with your pathetic presence? Be gone from my sight!”

“I am sorry, your Excellency,” he whimpered, as he left his chair and hurried from the room.

“Your Excellency, you need to calm down! You are worrying the more…fragile of your advisors.” The new speaker, Said Halim Pasha, and the Sultan’s Grand Vizier, was evidently much less hot-headed than the Sultan. “I’m sure Sallamak is being as quick as possible, but he is on a difficult mission, which you and he both knew even before he set off. Add to the extreme weather reported in that area, and it is hardly of surprise to me that he has not yet arrived.”

The conversation was interrupted when the large doors, opposite the Sultan at the head of the table, creaked open, and a eunuch walked in and bowed.

“Your Excellency, there is someone here who claims he has an appointment with you now.”

“What? I am the one who allows appointments, and I did not allow this appointment. Said Halim, do you have anything to do with this?”

“No, I can assure you that if I were to arrange an audience, I would have consulted you first. But, considering Padişah-li-Sallamak was due to arrive today, it may be him.”

“Yes! Why did I not think of that before? Sallamak may not have failed me after all!” The Sultan turned back to the eunuch. “You, what did this man say was his name?”

“I am sorry, your Excellency, but he refused to give a na-”

At that moment, the eunuch was shoved to the ground by an old man clad in a weathered cloak of fur now standing in the doorway. The vizier closest to him stood, and drew his sabre.

--------------------

Sorry about the late update, but as may or may not have noticed, I can get easily distracted :D . This is the first of a probably two part update, and I would have posted it in one chunk, but I decided to let you know that I'm still working on this, and it will hopefully keep people reading. ;) :p

I just noticed this dropped off the first page ( :eek: ) so i'll sort out an update tomorrow :)

looks good... has anyone else read the book Ordered To Die a History of the Ottoman Army in the First World War ? As far as I know it's the only history of the Ottoman army in WWI, and it's also one of the best WWI books I own.

Ordered to Die

one other thing... why is the Sultan the central character in your AAR? doesn't TGW mod start on Jan. 1 1914? doesn't that mean that the Young Turks are in control or should be? The Sultan was still in place but he had no real power.

Sorry, i'll drop the nitpicking.

The Sultan is all powerful! Do not question him!

Anyway, looking forward to the update.

We are the sultans, the sultans of swing! :cool:

He has fallen prey to anarchy! :banana: :p

Sultan hasn't been around the T-cow forums for a while. Our working theory is that he died in a nuclear blast unleashed by the Tanzanians.

It's not a good theory, but it's the only one we have.

Well i'll have to look into finishing off the next update, but i won't make any promises as to when, seeing as every time i've said i would post an update 'tomorrow' i wouldn't post the update...and seeing as i don't currently have a job, i need to see about getting another one :nods: :)