• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May 30, 2004
Awakening the Beast - An Ottoman Empire Account of the First World War

Prologue

January 1914
Somewhere along the P’ambaki mountain range, Armenia

aragats.jpg

Mount Aragats of the P’ambaki Range

Stumbling across the deep snow, I could no longer feel my hands, and even with the thick layers of clothing covering my entire body, my legs were weakening from the freezing temperature. But these feelings were overridden by my primeval instincts of fear and terror, sending me, not to anywhere, but away. Away from whatever thing had been awakened and was now chasing me. What had I done? What had compelled me to follow such obviously irrational, foolish orders? Too late, these questions had come. Too late for the guides who had mysteriously led me to the desired location, despite their own sinister warnings of the place. Too late for the soldiers merely following orders.

With the pick up of the winds and strengthening blizzard, I found it increasingly difficult to see ahead of me, and, hopefully, meant it would be a greater task for my hunter to spot me. I knew this could not be the case, however, when the sound of a deep shriek of the creature on my tail appeared closer behind me than before…of course it could find me, my tracks were too obvious and great in size that it would be impossible even in this weather not to track me! Again, my legs weakened, and gave in to fatigue and numbness of the cold. I landed on the flat surface of a rock, and as I slipped off, the layer of snow was brushed away. I looked back at the rock face, and to my horror, I saw the strange symbols that I had seen in and around the ancient structure that I had been instructed to seek out.

aragatsdarkest1.jpg

The visibility decreases in the snowstorm

aragatsstrangesymbols.jpg

The strange symbols found in and around the ancient ruins

Fearing the worst, I clawed at the images with my frostbitten, blackening hands. No! The symbols were the same! The same position on the same rock! It dawned on me – I had been travelling in a circle for hours on end! How had I not already been killed like the rest of my party? The Beast had been toying with me, playing games with my mind. What foul creature of the Black Arts had I awakened? I was sickened with myself. Then I heard the shriek again, but now it was…directly behind me! What was left of my dying body froze. With my eyes shut, I turned my head around slowly, dreading of what would be ahead of me. I opened my eyes quickly, so as not to prolong the inevitable. What I saw before me, words cannot describe. Emotions of all kinds rushed through my mind, confusing me, and distorting my vision. Apparitions of demons and other tainted creatures appeared before me in hallucinations, and my mind and body slowly drifted into the depths of insanity. The last thing of the material world I sensed was the sound of the Beast’s steps, leading away from me, leaving me to my doom…

--------------------

This is my first full AAR, and my second game using the TGW mod, the first being summed up by this short battle report.

version: HOI 1.06; TGW 1.05b
difficulty: normal, normal

If anyone can give advice on the mod such as techs to research, I would be grateful
:)

Zuckergußgebäck - :p i'll keep that in mind!

Häi - I can't... ;)

Reminded me of R.A. Salvatore's stuff. :) Good job *subscribe*

Lots of Tomatocow people here. :D Already 87 views too! Nice start.

Henry v. Keiper said:
Reminded me of R.A. Salvatore's stuff. :) Good job *subscribe*

You know you're right. And worse you have reminded me that I must go out and again spend money as I'm now 3 books behind in the Drizzt Series. Shame on you.

That was a very excellent start. Glad to see you chose the Turks. Onward to Glory! :D

You know you're right. And worse you have reminded me that I must go out and again spend money as I'm now 3 books behind in the Drizzt Series. Shame on you.

I've got the two new ones. Supposedly the third one came out this month. :D

Thanks for the input guys! :)

Allenby said:
Will the next update be infused with plenty of meaningless pan-Turanian rhetoric to form the ideological thrust of the story, then?
well, it depends what that means! :p

For anyone wondering, i'll hopefully be getting an update up tomorrow. it would have been today, but i didn't get a decent sleep, so i'm a bit too tired to write the update :eek:o

Wilhelm VI said:
Playing the Ottoman Empire is hard
i worked that out when i first played as OE - you can follow the link in my first post to see the outcome :cool:

HÄI said:
Some one should make a list of Tomato AARs.

I tried at T-cows and people wouldn't post all of their AARs.

Allenby said:
Will the next update be infused with plenty of meaningless pan-Turanian rhetoric to form the ideological thrust of the story, then?

Hey Guvna can I ask what in the bloody balzes does that mean?? really now?? :D

Sultan we await with baited breath. :cool: