• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Midnite Duke

Field Marshal
Jul 20, 2017
This AAR will be unusual, instead of focusing on my game I will highlight the world at large. I will be doing quarter century reviews of the largest realms and religions. I am playing the eleven bookmarks from most recent to oldest with random realm selection. I am on 1187 start (game 5) and have notes on the quarter century checks to be able to compare and contrast the different games.

For me, the greatest moment in CK is hitting the random selection and meeting new lands, people and cultures. 1336 placed me on the White Sea Coast as a Nenets Orthodox Chief of Dvina (my first tribal). After marrying a Southern girl, I ended on the Black Sea Coast as a Georgian Duke of Tao. 1241 placed me in frozen Siberia as a Komi Suomenusko (my first pagan) Chief of Ural. I followed a family adventurer across the mountains into Asia to end as the High Chief of Yugra. 1220 saw me in the sunny climes of Greece as a French Catholic Duke of Hellas. I assimilated the local Greek culture and ended as the Despot of Greece. 1204 took me north to the Aral Sea as a Turkish Sunni High Chief of Syr Darya. Expanding up the Syr Darya river, I ended as the Sultan of Zhetysu. 1187 returns me to the Balkans as an Arberian Orthodox Count of Avonlas.

1200 world check on largest religion by number of counties: 1) Catholic 558, 2) Sunni 348, 3) Orthodox 202, 4) Buddhist 152 5) Tengri 104. Nothing unusual as this is the order of the 1225 checks of 1204 and 1220. The number of counties for all five is between their 1204 game and 1220 game readings. My expectations are Catholic will remain #1 and Tengri will drop out of the top five (probably between 1250 and 1350). I have seen Sunni drop out completely and Hindu rise to #2. The most unusual religion to crack top five has been Nestorian (1241 game).

Within 48 hours, I will post realm #5. Of top five, it is only one making a first time appearance. I enjoy comments, suggestions and guesses. Everyone, thank you for reading.

Last edited:
  • 10Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Sounds interesting. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Nikolai, thank you for reading and commenting.

I am afraid that words and numbers will have to entertain and/or inform as I have never taken a screenshot and reading @Eurasia describe how to upload terrified me.

I have two special thank you at this time. @Bullfilter, without your friendship and support, I would not even be commenting much less trying to write an AAR. THANK YOU!!! @Eurasia, your world checks influenced and made my gameplay more enjoyable. THANK YOU! I hope that you do not think that I am completely ripping off your idea of world checks.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
On board, of course, given I nagged you to start an AAR! Good luck with it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well, this is certainly an intriguing concept :) Reminds me of some of the really old-school AARs from back in the day -- few to no screenshots, and often just a report on whatever caught the author's interest in the game at the time rather than the full-form "literary" style that's evolved since.

• 1Like
Reactions:
#5 is a newcomer, the Byzantine Empire debuts with 130 holdings and an army of 18 thousand. Basileus Isaakios II of the Angelos family was elected to the Constantinople throne in September 1185 after more than 100 years of Komnenos family rule. The 43yo Greek Orthodox Basileus is cruel and dumb (1-5-2-7-6 indulgent wastrel). Besides the empire, Isaakios II personally rules over one duchy and seven counties. One king, 14 dukes, one count and 20 barons report to the Basileus, many he has blinded and/or castrated. Basileus Isaakios II is currently suppressing (+24%) a revolt led by Doux Manuel of Opsikion over land ownership differences.

This is my most fractured top five as my previous low was 140 holdings (1220 start, 1350 check). Tyranny revolts will be a frequent theme and one more will be seen in this top five. Basileus Isaakios II will be the first of two rulers who were ruling 1 January 1187 (game start). Will the Byzantines still be in top five in 1225? #1 problem will be internal.

Basileus Isaakios II is my overlord (liege's liege). I changed from Count of Avonlas to Count of Dyrrachion before unpausing in 1187. My ranking choice is number of holdings.

Thank you for reading. Teaser: #4 did not exist in 1187.

• 7Like
Reactions:
@JSB217118, partially. The Golden Horde went Nestorian. A sister of the English king married a minor GH official. The English king and his sister/successor (different one from GH wife) died before turning thirty with aid (either suspicious or murder). The throne fell to their imbecile child nephew son of GH. With his aided death, his father inherits England and England becomes part of GH. A timeline:

1250 Golden Horde #2 (359) capital in Saray (Golden Horde was my overlord and I was supplying 1 holding.)
1275 Golden Horde out of top five (My liege no longer bowed his knee to the Golden Horde.)
1300 English England #3 (254)
1325 England #4 (206) with imbecile Hordish child/khagan
1350 Golden Horde #4 (322) capital Saray
1375 Golden Horde #2 (386) capital London Town (Middlesex)
1450 Golden Horde #4 (232) capital Belgorod (Ukrainian Black Sea) Another child/ruler with five ongoing wars in England/France/Wales.

The Nestorians came with a large side of Messalianism. At its height (1425), 97 counties were Nestorian (#5). At 1450 check, Nestorian (#5) had 80 counties and no Islamic religions were in top five.

This is from my 1241 game where I adventured in Siberia. This is one of my two wacky Englands in last three completed games.

@JSB217118, thank you for the question and I hope this is an adequate answer. If anyone has any other questions, I have top five religions for every quarter century in all five games. For top 5, I have realm, capital and # holdings. I also have spreadsheets with 19 lines of info plus their current wars for each realm since 1250 (game 4, 1204) world check. (Sorry, I have been deleting spreadsheets when I reach about ten.) I have final saves for all four prior games, but only final as I play in Tony Stark mode.

Everyone, thank you for reading.

• 6Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
@Bullfilter, the Basileus makes Vlad seem nice. In a failed holy war, between 1200-17, Isaakios II captures a young boy, brother to the timariot of a mosque and castrates him (automatic release). After recapturing the mosque and boy, he blinds the boy thus we have a blinded eunuch not yet ten. BTW, the family is Orthodox living under a Sunni Sultan. The Basileus may have misread the Geneva articles on treatment of POWs.

Thank you for reading.

• 2Like
Reactions:
What a shocker! And he wonders why they revolt ...

• 2Haha
Reactions:
In all fairness to the Basileus, this wonderful treatment of POWs (he blinds two females and castrates a two year old as well) is against a foreign power and not an internal revolt. But when last played (1217), the dark overlord (Basileus Isaakios II) was facing two revolts where misguided dukes were trying to install their candidates by force. The Basileus evokes the classic line "Why's everybody always pickin' on me?" from the Coasters' 1959 hit 'Charlie Brown'.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Well, this looks interesting.

Minimalist, but that's not bad (although not really my style).

There's a signature button accessible from clicking your name. Then, you just use the Insert link feature after highlighting the text you want to link.

• 1Like
Reactions: