• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For me, whoever controls Persia-Iraq, controls the East, I have no doubt that the Caliph Al-Zahir dynasty could do much more if it did not fall before because of its intrigue.
@Austregisel, thank you for replying and joining us. From my observations, the low intrigue score seems to be a red herring for the rulers except for Queen Adela. The Caliphate is the greatest strength and the greatest weakness for the Abbasid family of Iraq/Persia. While they have held the Caliphate for generations, Caliph Al-Zahir's father established the Iraq Sultanate and Caliph Al-Zahir established the Persia Sultanate himself. The Caliphate allows the Abbasids to call for Jihads but it also thrusts them into the role of Protector of the Sunni Faith.
In the 1190s, the Pope successfully Crusaded for Egypt and presented it to the Poles while the Caliph led a successful Jihad for the Kingdom of Jerusalem. In the late 1220s-early 1230s, the situation was reversed. The Pope regained the KoJ and restored the de Lusignans. The Caliph retook Egypt for the Ayyubids. The 1260s should bring another Crusade/Jihad to the Near East.
Persia will present another battleground for the Abbasids. By 1250, the twin sultanate is sharing a border with the Empire of Rajasthan. While the Empire's capital lies in Indian river valleys, the Ghurids retain allegiance to their Persian heritage.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Knowing the future can indeed a curse. Knowing any future can.

There's a reason seers are often mad.

Reactions:
Dyrrachion January 1250

11yo Alek Progonovic: Come Poppa, the Amazing Avon Readers (Is this an ok name?) are here!

@Bullfilter: Is that Count no Doux Gjin? The boy looks to be no older than Muzaka was a quarter century ago.

@Fool Esquire: Is that little Teuta grown up?

71yo Doux Gjin 'the Youthful': Welcome my learned friends. Let me introduce my family. My daughter, Queen Lule of Bulgaria. My son, Count Alek of Avlonas. You know my brother, Mayor Visar of Skoutarion.

@Bullfilter warmly greets his friend while carefully trying to remain upwind of the Doux.

@HistoryDude: What is the story of the Doux Gjin's tunic and what happened to the family?

The dirty, bloodied battle tunic bears the legend:

"Challenge Me?​
I am Old​
Less to Lose"​
51yo Mayor Visar: That tattered tunic may be the most feared sight in the whole Byzantine Army. My brother commands the Byzantine Ranger Battalion. Twice young generals have challenged the old warhorse on the battlefield. Twice he has walked back to his men and twice the young buck has been carried home to his widow. The wives of our nephews, Liridon and Progon, the Duchesses of Paphlagonia, tried to send assassins after my brother. My brother, in self defense, made our nephews widowers. His son Count Muzaka's health failed him in 1239 at only 27. In 1242, our brother Zamyr died in a carriage accident at 42. In 1246, a witch murdered our brother Aleksander at 52. 1247 was super bad. First our brother Baron Dimitrije died in his sleep at 65, then we received word that 23yo Queen Teuta had perished in a foreign dungeon while her husband spent more time being king than husband and father. The man has been an abject failure at all three. 22yo Count Pëllumb perished after pissant rubble assaulted him while collecting taxes for his father in 1248. A month ago, Duchess Agalina joined our heavenly father at age 57. We did invite Princess Neda of Serbia to return home from the land of RukRuks to be a companion to Gjin. He says that she has an owl's wisdom and an alleycat's morals.

1250's Religion Overview:

Catholic 674 counties up 46 (from 1225) with 9 rulers among top 21 realms​
Sunni 292 down 44 with 9 rulers
Orthodox 217 up 22 with 1 ruler (Not realm you probably would guess.)​
Buddhist 151 down 6 with 1 ruler
Hindu 98 up 8 with 1 ruler
Tengri 76 down 14 (This will be our last check on the Tengris unless someone has a question about them.)​
Next up is our two dropouts. @Bullfilter has correctly guessed that the Sultanate of Iraq and Persia dropped out. I am still accepting guesses for the other dropout and our two newcomers.

Thank you for reading.

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well, the family has not been without its tragedies, but survives. Who in the Doux’s heir these days?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, the family has not been without its tragedies, but survives. Who in the Doux’s heir these days?
Thank you for commenting. On 1 Jan 1250, 11yo Count Alek is #1, Queen Lule is #2, her son (wrong dynasty game over) #3 and Teuta's daughter (wrong dynasty) #4. I am in A-C Gavelkind. There are fewer members of the dynasty Jan 1250 than Aug 1242.

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I think Empire of Rajasthan? But I'm not very confident
The Empire is safely in. Thank you for guessing. Do you mind being the AmazingAvonReaders' official liasion with Count Alek like @HistoryDude has been with Visar?

• 1Like
Reactions:
" Orthodox 217 up 22 with 1 ruler (Not realm you probably would guess.) " What realm? I imagine Georgia maybe.

" Orthodox 217 up 22 with 1 ruler (Not realm you probably would guess.) " What realm? I imagine Georgia maybe.
Thank you for replying. Georgia no longer exists. The Sultan of Rum is now called the Sultan of Rum, Armenia and Georgia. The Orthodox realm is from a non traditional Orthodox land. It will be revealed during our travels.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Gjin is doing better. It seems as if Byzantium as a whole isn't doing half bad.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Gjin is doing better. It seems as if Byzantium as a whole isn't doing half bad.
Thank you for replying. Gjin is fascinating! A gay man with the Countess of Lesbos as mortal enemy (he had two daughters of hers murdered). Cruel, Honest, Uncouth, Brave, Arbitrary. Known Murderer (twice). 1st Battlefield duel came after he was receiving old age penalty (53) and he was pushed aside by his 70yo General. Two more battlefield duels where he kills his opponent without suffering injury against younger men. Byz has been interesting. Since Basileus Isaakios II died, there have been few factions (often none). In Asia Minor, Rum has taken lands but isolated provinces have been gained from Syria and Cyprus. In Europe, Byz has made major gains with the Republic of Ragusa being a star. Byz made one of the smoothest two province gains. 2 province Serbia was fighting Ragusa for one and a Bulgarian Countess for the other. The Emperor outmaneuvered the Countess for one and Ragusa took the other. When the Countess rebelled against the King of Bulgaria, the Emperor stepped in and defeated the King's troops to snipe the Countess' county. The ex Countess then had to go live with the King that she was rebelling against. The next three updates will contain Gjin and Byz tidbits. The Dyrrachion court was a beacon of trust. At one point, Gjin was an elusive shadow, with his two counts an elusive shadow and an intricate webweaver, and three of his five councilors elusive shadows.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Our first dropout is, as @Bullfilter guessed, the Sultanate of Iraq and Persia. The dual Sultanate lost 21 holdings to 129, dropping from #4 to #9. The principal cause was the lost of their Levantine exclave to a crusade as the Kingdom of Jerusalem. A leadership timeline:

14 November 1205 29yo Al-Zahir Abbasid inherits the Sultanate of Iraq.​
21 July 1207 Caliph Al-Zahir creates the Sultanate of Persia.​
8 June 1229 53yo Caliph Al-Zahir dies after a lengthy illness ending his 23 year reign. His 16yo son Hasan Abbasid inherits the dual Sultanates.​
22 February 1240 27yo Caliph Hasan was killed in a battlefield duel with Doux Gijn of Dyrrachion during the Orthodox Holy War for Doliche (Turkey) province between the Byzantine Empire and the Sultanate of Syria ending his 10 year reign. Caliph Hasan's 9mo son Fadl Abbasid inherits the Sultanate of Iraq and Persia.​
10yo Caliph Fadl and his twelve thousand man army are involved in three conflicts:

1) Assisting Shahanshah Bahman and the Empire of Rajasthan defending the Duchy of Uttaranchal (3 provinces, northern India) from the Buddhist Holy War of Gyelmo Jetsunma of Phagmodrupa (Tibet). Pundits are referring to this as the Children's War as Bahman is 15 and Jetsunma is 13.​
2) Aiding Sultan Hasan of Rum's Sunni Holy War for Tmutarakan (northern Black Sea coast) province against Khan Koytan II of Cumania.​
3) Defending against Vali's Revolt for an independent Yazidi homeland.​
The future of Iraq and Persia will depend on:

1) Future Catholic Crusades and Sunni Jihads.​
2) Relations with the large surrounding Sunni realms of Rajasthan, Rum and Syria.​
Our second dropout is the Byzantine Empire. In typical Byzantine fashion, the Empire gained 36 holdings to 168, but fell from #5 to #6. A leadership timeline:

13 June 1222 26yo Megistos Angelos is elected Basileus of the Empire.​
14 September 1245 The infirm 49yo Basileus Megistos dies ending his 23 year reign. His 19yo son Stephanos Angelos is elected Basileus.​
28 October 1245 Doux Manuel II of Optimatoi leads a group of nobles, including Basileus Stephanos II, openly professing to be Catholic.​
21 June 1247 21yo Basileus Stephanos II dies after suffering crippling injuries before completing the second year of reign. 58yo Doux Manuel Laskaris is elected Basileus.​
61yo Basileus Manuel II and his twenty thousand man army are involved in one armed conflict:

3yo Duchess Damiane of Opsikion (daughter of Basileus Stephanos II) revolted after Basileus Manuel II demanded that she surrender the Duchy of Thrace to him. She is controlling 20 holdings.​
The Byzantine future will depend on:

1) Catholic Crusades and Sunni Jihads.​
2) Stopping Rum's Asiatic expansion.​
3) Continued expansion in the Balkans.​
In 1225, we proceeded with a standard #5 to #1 countdown. This time we will go with a geographical progression from west to east. Our first stop will be England, then the HRE, our two newcomers and finally Rajasthan before returning to Dyrrachion where you will reboard the 'WayBack Machine'. While all research was done at the first of January, I will name each chapter with an one month progression. IE England will be February, HRE March, summary in Dyrrachion July.

VOLUNTEERS WANTED: As we proceed from the Gjin/Visar generation, I will need a new liasion. Thank you to @Bullfilter and @HistoryDude for liaising with Doux Gjin and Visar. @diskoerekto has graciously accepted to be Count Alek's liasion. I need a liasion for Liridon Progonovic (nephew of Gjin and Visar, Dyrrachion Mystikos) who will be the guide for the AmazingAvonReaders beginning with the Holy Roman Empire. Also I would like someone to lead a mountaineer company (sorry @diskoerekto, you have an important job) in stop #3. Also a travel expert for our return from Rajasthan to Dyrrachion.

Guesses are still allowed for our two newcomers. @Bullfilter can make his research request at any time.

SHOUT OUTS: AmazingAvonReader @Kazanov has started book four in his MEGA Campaign. 'A Storm from the West part IV' can be found on the CK3 thread. Also this weekend @AxolotlKnight started 'A History of the Iron Throne II' on the CK2 thread.

Visar Progonovic: With Doux Gjin returning to his troops in Thrace, AmazingAvonReaders please board the fastest ship in the Byzantine Navy, the 'Purple Steward'. My nephew, Liridon, and I will assist you with your berthing. Count Alek, please do not get in Commodore @diskoerekto's way!

Next Stop: London, February 1250

• 3Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Excellent episode.
Caliph Hasan was killed in a battlefield duel with Doux Gijn of Dyrrachion
Ah, well done. My research request is how the Rurikids (or major successor states) are going in Russia.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Excellent episode.

Ah, well done. My research request is how the Rurikids (or major successor states) are going in Russia.
Thank You very Much! The death of the Caliph was why we needed the A-Team to get out of Baghdad and why we are circling Iraq/Persia at all times. I will research Russia when I restart game, I have played to 1260. Princess Neda was the widow of a Rurikid count before becoming Doux Gjin's companion (second wife). She later gave birth to a child by the husband of her late husband's sister. That man's family name is close to Rurikid so could have been founded by a Rurikid bastard.

• 2Like
Reactions:
get out of the way of the Purple Steward, we have a lot of seas to sail and sirens to avoid! first through the island seas, then through the libyan coast and straits of sicily, along the barbary coast, out from the gibraltar to the unknown open seas, the entire coast of the atlantic from basque country to bretanny to finally the straits of dover and onwards the thames until we find londinium! it'll be a long and rough ride...

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: