• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mrstevehazzard

Colonel
35 Badges
Aug 1, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Hi there,

I thought a fun game to try would be playing as the vassal Roman Republic under Odoacer. It was nice trying to appease my Skirian overlord while making money and trying to remain Chelcedonian/Roman, but I ran into a snag: If Theoderic succeeds in his invasion of Italy, the Republic is kicked out of Rome so I end up with a game over.

Anyone have any tips for survival? I don't really want to use the console to end the invasion, but I'll do so if there's no in-game way to avoid this.

Hi there,

I thought a fun game to try would be playing as the vassal Roman Republic under Odoacer. It was nice trying to appease my Skirian overlord while making money and trying to remain Chelcedonian/Roman, but I ran into a snag: If Theoderic succeeds in his invasion of Italy, the Republic is kicked out of Rome so I end up with a game over.

Anyone have any tips for survival? I don't really want to use the console to end the invasion, but I'll do so if there's no in-game way to avoid this.
You can try to become independent at an opportune moment, in that case you won't be concerned by the invasion.

I became independent by declaring a war for independence immediately after the game starts. The western empire doesn't have enough troops to attack you. Odoacer quickly conquers the western empire but I'm independent due to my war against them making me a separate entity. At that point you could join Odoacer's Italy.

Last edited:
Honestly it is a little wierd that the Republic is essentially destroyed by the end of the war, as historically the Roman Senate was still around well into the reign of Heraclius before it faded out of the historical record in the middle ages. It lost a lot of power by the time it disappeared essentially becoming an old mens club but it actually enjoyed a bit of a resurgence under Odoacer and Theodoric.

I guess it's just the result of the Cacus Belli that Odoacer uses that boots the Republic from its holdings and I'm not sure that it can be fixed. It's even stranger that the decision to restore the Senate doesn't appear unless you remove decision trigger for it to not exist in the first place

Justinian, however, abolished virtually all senatorial offices in Italy.
Honestly it is a little wierd that the Republic is essentially destroyed by the end of the war, as historically the Roman Senate was still around well into the reign of Heraclius before it faded out of the historical record in the middle ages. It lost a lot of power by the time it disappeared essentially becoming an old mens club but it actually enjoyed a bit of a resurgence under Odoacer and Theodoric.

I guess it's just the result of the Cacus Belli that Odoacer uses that boots the Republic from its holdings and I'm not sure that it can be fixed. It's even stranger that the decision to restore the Senate doesn't appear unless you remove decision trigger for it to not exist in the first place