• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HashtagRex

Recruit
34 Badges
May 14, 2022
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
The Austro-Hungarian union was a bit more complex than represented in game, and Austria often just fully annexes Hungary far earlier than reality.

To add a bit more interesting of a mechanic (and some alternative history), I propose creating a new government type for when Austria gains the Hungarian PU (or vice versa).
This government type would work similarly to the Dutch Statist vs Orangist, but instead represent the power struggle between the Hungarians and Austrians. When, and only when, Austria reaches 100 authority/dominance over Hungary would the annexation process be allowed, and on the flip side, should Hungary gain 100 then a disaster fires for Austria, which could eventually either lead Hungary to independence or to take dominance over the union themselves.
The effects of either side being more dominant would scale with the value:
  • As Austria gains more dominance, Hungary gets liberty desire, while Austria gets bonuses to its military capability (mainly in the form of force limit and manpower). Austria could also gain some other buffs, like core cost reduction or a modifier to being chosen as emperor; simultaneously, Austria could gain debuffs such as diplomatic reputation maluses
  • As Hungary gains more dominance, they lose liberty desire (to make it desirable for Austria to give more dominance in certain scenarios), while receiving their own military buffs (mainly in the form of quality to simulate a more coherent command structure instead of Austrians ordering people who don't speak german). On the flip side, greater Hungarian dominance leads to opinion penalties for nations wanting to support independence
Dominance value would be able to be affected in multiple ways:
  • Rebellions could enforce greater dominance if successful
  • A new casus belli for the junior partner instead of independence: increase dominance (by a large amount, or give multiple options that cost more warscore)
  • Decisions for both nations to invest mana in various ways:
    • the junior partner can invest admin to gain bonuses to their economy, the senior partner can invest admin to leverage more vassal income and/or diverting trade
    • both nations can invest diplo to swing dominance in their favour, but only by small amounts (like with strengthening government)
    • the junior partner can invest military points to increase the power of a rebellion, giving greater chance for it to succeed; the senior partner can invest military points to decrease the chance of an uprising
Upon the disaster for the lesser partner gaining too much dominance, liberty desire greatly increases and they gain a new casus belli to become the senior partner themselves, and then going through the whole process of reaching 100 dominance before being able to annex

I think this government form would do a great job at making the Austro-Hungarian union a lot more fun to play with, as well as giving a new way for Hungary to throw off the yoke, while also not being a huge change nor particularly difficult to implement

Reactions:
Austro-Hungary is out of time frame, it only became a dual monarchy in 1867.
Yes I suppose I shouldn't have titled it the dual monarchy, but the 1867 compromise gave Hungarians equal power, there was a power struggle before that though. Besides, the personal union happens way too early in eu4 anyway, and the Diet of Hungary held a lot of independent power, which the Austrians frequently suppressed

• 2Like
Reactions:
Maybe the Crown of Hungary could be added as a unique faction? This way even if Austria eats Hungary whole, there could still be some interplay between the Austrians and the Hungarian nobility. It might also give other tags who PU/eat Hungary a little flavor in that area.

Perhaps it could function similarly to the new Livonian Bishoprics faction in the Livonian Order, where you have to buy out rights in order to fully integrate the crowns. Alternatively, there was a reason why the Habsburgs kept the titles separate, which was the legal reason that there could only be a single King in the HRE, specifically Bohemia. I'm sure there were useful political reasons to keep the Hungarian Crown separate as well. Adding Hungarian lands, and maybe other outside states, to the HRE should probably also require a Papal bull or something of the like.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Maybe the Crown of Hungary could be added as a unique faction? This way even if Austria eats Hungary whole, there could still be some interplay between the Austrians and the Hungarian nobility. It might also give other tags who PU/eat Hungary a little flavor in that area.

Perhaps it could function similarly to the new Livonian Bishoprics faction in the Livonian Order, where you have to buy out rights in order to fully integrate the crowns. Alternatively, there was a reason why the Habsburgs kept the titles separate, which was the legal reason that there could only be a single King in the HRE, specifically Bohemia. I'm sure there were useful political reasons to keep the Hungarian Crown separate as well. Adding Hungarian lands, and maybe other outside states, to the HRE should probably also require a Papal bull or something of the like.
Well if they were a faction, there'd need to be other factions to go alongside them, unless you mean estates. It's certainly interesting to add them as an estate like the cossacks. In some ways that could be a better representation, though gameplay-wise that would allow them to be completely ignored sometimes and still poses the issue of being annexed too early by austria

Well if they were a faction, there'd need to be other factions to go alongside them, unless you mean estates. It's certainly interesting to add them as an estate like the cossacks. In some ways that could be a better representation, though gameplay-wise that would allow them to be completely ignored sometimes and still poses the issue of being annexed too early by austria
Yes, I did mean estates haha. The problem in general I think is that vassals and personal union interactions aren't really that deep. I feel like if they mixed subjects into the estates category a bit, they could have some more fun with it. Maybe monarchic, theocratic, and republic vassals could have some effect on the influence of their respective estates. Maybe vassals could also demand privileges. It could also make inheriting a tag more interesting; sure, you've freed up that dip slot, but now you gotta integrate or appease the relevant estate to get fully reduced autonomy in those provinces, and to get their nobility under control.

Yes, I did mean estates haha. The problem in general I think is that vassals and personal union interactions aren't really that deep. I feel like if they mixed subjects into the estates category a bit, they could have some more fun with it. Maybe monarchic, theocratic, and republic vassals could have some effect on the influence of their respective estates. Maybe vassals could also demand privileges. It could also make inheriting a tag more interesting; sure, you've freed up that dip slot, but now you gotta integrate or appease the relevant estate to get fully reduced autonomy in those provinces, and to get their nobility under control.
they did do the overlords update for stellaris which seems very in-depth for vassal interactions, I wonder if they're planning anything similar for eu4

Reactions: