• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

randakar

The doomsayer
46 Badges
Jan 14, 2010
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Introduction

The year 2024

The world is recovering from one of the worst disasters in it's entire turbulunt history. Three years ago a deadly nano-virus was released onto the world by an unknown governmental agency. What it's target was, nobody will ever know. What we do know is that it wiped out over 90% of the world's population, leaving only a mere 500 million inhabitants to pick up the pieces.
In a strange twist of faith, the world has rebuild itself .. as a democracy.

That, however, is not this story.

Our story starts, december 12th 2024. A small deep space tracking sattelite picks up what appears to be a small comet, heading directly towards earth. At first, nobody cares - comets of this size are not an unusual sight.
What *is* unusual, however, is the fact that said 'comet' appeared to correct it's course to more accurately track earth's orbital path around the sun.
Panic and hysteria ensues. What is this? A missile? A spaceship? An attack? The tracking system was not accurate enough to tell. Pictures taken using orbital telescopes were fuzzy at best. All attempts to communicate with the alien device failed.

After two days, a probe seperated from the device and landed itself in the middle of Times Square. Robotic eyes gazed upon fearful humans.
A metallic arm extended, holding a package. With a card, bearing clearly legible words.

Code:
Here. This will help.

It's mission completed, the robot stopped moving. And never moved again.

Package and robot were brought into the world's most advanced research labs and examined from top to bottom, streaming the results live to a vast and curious audience. The robot was a tremendous puzzle. It appeared to be made of strange alloys, constructed in a fashion resembling earth's own manufacturing processes... using earth measurements .. and decidely earthy industrial standards for even the simplest nuts and bolts. Analysis of it's memory banks was even more decisive, leading researchers to conclude that the construct was running good old fashioned linux .. but a version at least a century ahead of the current version of that software.

The only possible explanation was that this robot .. came from the future.
The real prize, however, was the package. Inside a bundle of data sticks was found, detailing the results of a hundred years of painstaking research, propelling humankind from the brink of devastation, into Space.

The Trans-Newtonian Era had begun.

What is this?

This is an Aurora live AAR, putting YOU at the helm. As soon as this thread opens, five members of the forum are to be elected to guide humanity to space .. and beyond!
The GM (me) will implement all decisions, but the elected forum representatives will be the ones deciding*.
All forumites are allowed and encouraged to sign up for positions in the officer ranks. Officers put in command of things in-game will have a say about how they implement in-game orders.

What is Aurora?

General Aurora Thread:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?533990-Anyone-playing-Aurora

Previous games:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...tra!-...-an-Aurora-Forum-Game-run-by-blue-emu
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ederation-–-Aurora-Forum-Game-II-run-by-Rendap.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...r-Aurora-Forum-Game-II%BD-run-by-Scandinavian
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-Peace-and-War-A-Forum-Game-Run-by-Lord-Dalek

*) Mostly. Certain details, such as game setup, are the providence of the GM. Also, I reserve the right to make life 'interesting' for the members of this forum.
Finally, in the case of player absenses I may decide to simply go ahead and implement decisions as I see fit.

Last edited:
Current savefile: ZIP, MDB

1NizJ.jpg

Galaxy map:
No jump points explored.

Paradoxian Confederation Status

January 2026

Colonies
E1M89.jpg

Currently we have 4 colonies: Earth, the archeological dig on Mars, and two mining colonies; Neutron Rock, and Charon.

Wealth

The Paradoxian Confederation currently posesses 12945 wealth.
nRqiV.jpg

We've burned through nearly half our funds in the past year. Financial Centre construction is ongoing, but it's still only a drop on a hot glowing plate.
The figures for the last month look a bit better though - the percentage wealth coming in from Financial Centres has gone up to 2.2%.

Earth
47QHZ.jpg

BrmRR.jpg

Most of the numbers from january 1 to present haven't changed much. Automated mines have dropped a little, with freighters ferrying them off to other places; And our home planet sports 13 brand new Financial Centres in our mad rush to prevent bankruptcy.

Mars
qaiI4.jpg

Not much to see here yet. Six tantalizing installations on the planet's surface, but no engineers to dig them up. Yet ..

Mining
Earth:
LpoIP.jpg

Neutron Rock:
2N8Vl.jpg

Charon:
F1lkb.jpg

This will require a careful look later.
Not much news here though, I presume. Uridium is still our biggest mineral deficit right now.

Industry
34ImT.jpg

Our new Naval yard is due 29th June, 2026. That's in almost 6 months.
That yard will start at the minimum size for a shipyard - 1000 tons. It will require some effort to grow it to a more useful size.

Shipyard status
brRbz.jpg

Looking at the shipyards, it's about time to start thinking about retooling the Afrika Industries yards.
We can retool it to Xorns or Mayflowers - these classes are wholly interchangeable, with identical retool costs and each retool being capable of building the other one, as well.
This decision will have to be taken now - a retool to this class would complete 5 days after the Cranes finish construction.

The alternative is this:
BldCu.jpg

A retool to the San Andreas - however, that is more expensive and takes more resources, for questionable benefit.

Ship construction
LpCxX.jpg

The cranes being build will be launched on april 27th.

Research
Nl4nP.jpg

Not much news here.

Crew availability
KB5FA.jpg

Ground unit status
nL1fP.jpg

As you can see, our army has grown too big to fit in a single screenshot without hiding some units.
The new Replacement Battallion requires a ground unit commander to lead it. I will have to rectify that at some point.

Brigades
L1Ebv.jpg

Behold the full might of our Regiments. :)

Ground force training
eraov.jpg

A lot of this capacity is currently idle. Leaving it like that is not really something I'd recommend, if we want to be aggressive about expansion.

Fleet
Mr4e1.jpg

Our meagre cadre of ships. Nothing here yet that bears arms, but it's a start.

Sol system view
jdezI.jpg

All of our ships, jump gates, and colonies are in this single screenshot.
Once we leave Sol, that will change..

Last edited:
Confederation administration

Supreme Overlord (gm): Randakar

The Council of Five
1) Rendap
2) Sirce
3) Surt
4) Lord Dalek
5) Kurt_Steiner

Minister of Finance and Industry: Sirce
Supreme Commander, Space Navy: Rendap
Commander in Chief, Armed Forces: Kurt_Steiner
Minister of Commerce: Vacant

Civilian Administrators
- Iche Bins, Governor of Earth
- Funnyman320, Governor of Mars

Scientists
- Savant Surt, Defensive Systems
- Sirce, Sensors and Fire Control
- Capt. Kiwi, Logistics and Ground Combat
- bugwar, Biology and Genetics, Member of the Indiana Jones Xenoarcheology Team

Naval commanders
- Rendap, Commander in Chief
- King hannibal aka John Caveson, Captain, EX Christopher Columbus
- the_hdk, Staff officer, Fighter Operations
- Jacob-lundgren, Captain, EX James Cook
- Stuckenschmidt
- onbekende, CO, FT Mariah Carey
- trajan
- Lord Dalek, Staff officer, Survey Command
- blue emu, Staff officer, Intelligence
- Kurt Steiner, CO, JGC Black Cat
- misiame, CO, EX Ferdinand Magellan

Ground forces commanders
- Adamus, CO, 12th Royal Anglian Regiment
- Stuckenscmidt, CO, 13th "Roughnecks" Regiment
- Grim Pagan, CO, 16th "Meat Shields" Engineering Brigade
- Hearth, 8th Assault Infantry Battalion
- Shadow Knight, CO, 15th Engineering Brigade

Last edited:
Phase 0: Game setup

ofB4Fh.png

This is a pretty aggressive start. 2 Non-Player-Races (computer controlled players), 100% NPR generation chance (if a system is suitable for alien life, we are guaranteed to find some), a maximum of 50 systems (ensuring limited space for the NPR's to grow in), and two of the dangerous computer opponents have been enabled.

The 120.000 RP points is our robotic starting package. The forumites in charge will decide how these are divided amongst various research subjects. Note that we'll have to research components as well, so some thought will need to go into this.

I've tweaked the racial tolerances for gravity and temperature a little to better match what the racial tolerances will look like in Aurora 5.70. More of that to follow.

GGh38.png

Racial setup screen. Racial temperature was tuned down to 14C. The government type was changed to a representative democracy, in keeping with this forum games' objectives.

Note the "racial training level". This is set to 1 (the default). This is something the Paradoxians may decide to change.

Submissions for the flag, racial picture, or ship hull design image are welcome. Good submissions for these will earn themselves medals - for which submissions are also welcome!

UQjcI.png

Earth. Our home. 500 million inhabitants, 420 construction factories, 4 orbital shipyards toting a total of 11 slipways, and 20 research labs.
I will claim the position of Planetary Governor (as your supreme overlord :) )

5yl9t.png

Our shipyards. Pretty bland naming, eh?

Votes for shipyard names are now open. The four names with the most votes will be used to name our shipyards, subject to Supreme Overlord veto of course.

YCZa4.png

Our scientist corps. These officers are up for grabs, first to sign up will get first pick.

7h25x.png

Mining report. These are the minerals we have to work with. For now.

orHzY.png

The first game update, reporting the creation of the civilian shipping company Webb Transport Company.

-- Game thread is now open. Signups, voting for officer positions, and submissions can now be placed. ---

Last edited:
I claim an Officer Spot for myself and my bloodline!

Naval Officer that is.

Who's commanding officer? In as him.

Could someone make a list of all available roles?

I claim an Officer Spot for myself and my bloodline!

Naval Officer that is.

Very well. First pickings means you get a fairly high position in the naval hierarchy:

nSIpj.jpg

You are now the ranking officer within the fleet. Congratulations.
Of course, that also means you are now nominally in charge of the naval forces. And there are several open staff positions, as you can see..

Up for an officer role. Anything but ship design please. My ships stink :p

Ship designs are to be decided on by the ruling council - the Council of Five. Any Paradoxian can run for a position on the Council.
edit: That being said, if you state what you wish to have designed, I can certainly run a prototype past the Bureau of Ship Design and give you a ballpark specification :)

As for officers: Would you prefer a naval, ground combat, administrative, or scientific position? And do you have any further preferences regarding role?

Who's commanding officer? In as him.

The Council of Five, for which you are allowed to announce your candidacy.
Otherwise, same question as with Adamus :)

I would like to gouvern the first human colony

That will be hard to tell in advance. I'll give you a governor with a high mining bonus, as I suspect that will be one of the first priorities for new colonies.

Could someone make a list of all available roles?

There are four types of officer: Naval, Ground combat, Civilian administrators, and Scientists. The latter two roles are comparitively low-risk. I expect there to be very little employ for Civilian Administrators initially. Except for the Governor of Earth.

Speaking of which:

y6Br4.jpg

Last edited:
Could I play as a naval officer also? And I am announcing my candidacy for the council of five. Name is John Caveson.

Naval Commander... Excellent!
Rear Admiral... It's a start!

I'll run the navy and hone it into a force to be reckoned with! I require some good officers for my staff, specifically Operations and Survey as main priority. At a later stage a Fighter Pilot as well.

Please ensure that the Bureau of Personel assign this to me immediately! I have no patience for those paperpushers!

Could I play as a naval officer also? And I am announcing my candidacy for the council of five. Name is John Caveson.

If you don't mind, I will keep your forum name in there to prevent me going crazy trying to keep auto-generated names, paradoxian forum names, and paradoxian officers with different forum names apart ;-)

unefE.jpg

Done. You rank 2nd in the naval hierarchy, and match Rendap for highest survey bonus in the fleet.

Please ensure that the Bureau of Personel assign this to me immediately! I have no patience for those paperpushers!

Hmm, I can post a series of shots of the various officer lists sorted by their competency, or I can just make the .mdb file available on dropbox for you to peruse. Which would you prefer?

Series of Shots would be preferred.

Specifically targeting those who are incompetent!

And a list of competent officers to choose from as well.

Series of Shots would be preferred.

I've decided to do both. .mdb file available here. (Also available in the 2nd post.)

Specifically targeting those who are incompetent!

:)
I've taken the liberty of firing every officer who has no abilities to speak off before the game started. I reckoned that'd save us some time ;-)

And a list of competent officers to choose from as well.

Ok, here goes. Note that all names not already prefixed with "P" are officers that are up for grabs by Paradoxians, and therefore potentially subject to renames.

Communications:
7D8rj.jpg

Fighter ops:
3xySt.jpg

Intelligence:
06AK4.jpg

Logistics:
u1YJz.jpg

Operations:
lJVm2.jpg

(Note the crew training rating - the operations officer apparently also conveys his crew training bonus to all crews training within the Task Group this officer is responsible for - at least, while in the same system.)

Diplomacy:
L1hk6.jpg

We'll also probably need to create a 5-man diplomatic team sometime soon. Just in case we run into aliens. :)
However, that is not your area of responsibility.

Survey:
GLuPd.jpg

I hereby name my staff as follows:

Lieutenant Commander Stone for Communications
Commander Hart for Fighter Ops
Captain Reeves as Staff Spook
Lieutenant Commander Sharp for Logistics
Lieutenant Commander Lawrence for Operations
Any random PO officer will be fine
And Commander O'Sullivan for Survey. I'd prefer to let the best Survey people remain in Survey Command to get some experience there.

I would like to gouvern the first human colony

You're in:
xUuwR.jpg

We only have 4 civilian administrators with a mining bonus. You top the list by a big margin.

I hereby name my staff as follows:

Lieutenant Commander Stone for Communications
Commander Hart for Fighter Ops
Captain Reeves as Staff Spook
Lieutenant Commander Sharp for Logistics
Lieutenant Commander Lawrence for Operations
Any random PO officer will be fine
And Commander O'Sullivan for Survey. I'd prefer to let the best Survey people remain in Survey Command to get some experience there.

Done.

Things left to be done before we can advance time:

1) Appoint the members of the Council of Five.

Deadline for candidacies is Friday, 21:00 PM CEST.

2) Nominate and vote upon Shipyard names. Same deadline as above.

Once the Council of Five is operational, they can begin with the next steps:

3) Assign the 120.000 points worth of research the game starts with.
4) Assign industry tasks
5) Assign research labs
6) Design, tool for, and start building any ship designs. (This includes the starting build points the game has assigned to the Paradoxian Union to quick-build ships)
7) Put together and assign teams, if any. (Having one of each has advantages.)
8) Decide what racial training level to use (if we feel it needs to be changed, that is)

They may want to delegate some of this to specific members of the forum, or assign them to a council member permanently. That's all up to them.

Anything I forgot to mention here?