• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

nephilim2k

Viking_Nephilim
72 Badges
Apr 12, 2013
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Empire of Sin
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Island Bound
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Victoria 2
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
Hi everyone. I don't think I am the best person to post this, but as yet, nobody has.

Atwix, the man who knew more about EU4 Personal Unions than anyone else IMO, who played some amazing campaigns on twitch, has passed away. He spent the last week in palliative care and was no longer in pain from his Leukaemia.

If you have any fond memories of the man, please post them here. I know he'd love to read them.

I for one will remember him for his enthusiasm for enjoying the game, whether it was buggy or not. His infectious spirit will be missed.

May you Rest In Peace Atwix

Last edited:
  • 121Like
Reactions:
You were one of my favourite streamers, Atwix, and I had hoped to one day meet you in real life.

I will miss you, buddy, so so much.

Love from IAIWE.

EDIT:
I also wanna point out that I have been in direct contact with Atwix's family and had it confirmed, so no one think nephilim's post is a tasteless troll attempt.

Last edited:
  • 15Like
Reactions:
Goodbye friend. You were my favourite streamer and a friend. I wished I could have shown you around in my city as you wished. I'm so sorry it could have never happen. I miss you so much you !idiot.

• 7Like
Reactions:
I came here to post a tribute to Atwix and it's nice to see that someone already did. His real name was Ivo by the way.

As seen below, the man sure loved him some EU IV...

EU IV.jpg

I met Atwix in an mmorpg called Asheron's Call 2 in 2003. I was looking for a new guild and he invited me in a guild called AClegend.
He became my patron in the game and we quickly found out we were both from Belgium, so we were in touch a lot.
As with EU IV (and pretty much any game he played) the guy was pretty hardcore and was always dozens of levels above me.
There were server wide events where'd often play together, but most of the time he was grinding in groups with the big guys on the server.

Here are some screenshots from August 2003 where we were just fooling along.

cap2.jpg

cap1.jpg

cap4.jpg

Then i started playing Wow, but he kept playing AC2. After that he switched to several other mmo's. But just like me he was a huge fan of Arpg's.
We played Diablo 2 together a lot, i got him into Titan Quest and also Dungeon Siege 2. As with EU IV, the guy was VERY good at theorycrafting, so usually he made some OP chars where he just killed everything and i was tagging along behind him :p

Then we were out of touch for several years, untill one day i drove through the city where he lived and decided to get in touch with him again.
We were in touch regularly, but didn't play any games together. We did meet in Antwerp a few times for steak and beers.

In 2019 i convinced him to buy Grim Dawn + Expansions, because it was my favorite arpg. We played it for over a year every week/two weeks.
As with every game he plays, he gets too good at it. We had a lot of fun, but it lacked challenge for him.
I kept telling him 'once we get to Ultimate difficulty' it will get harder, i swear! But even the endgame was pretty doable when you play with someone like him.

In february we were playing Valheim for the first time, but he kept complaining about this painful cough he had.
A week later when we were playing GD again, he was still complaining about it and mentioned to me 'it might be cancer'.
He was a nurse as profession, but i rolled with my eyes and found his conclusion pretty dramatic. Then a week later, i got a text then it turned out to be myeloid leukemia.

So he soon went to the hospital where i visited him the first week and lend him my laptop so he could play some games. I dont think he played a lot, because obviously chemo wears you out. Very unfortunately the chemo didn't work. The second time neither.
At the beginning of July he got a new treatment (with weekly injections or something) that seemed to get the cancer down by a lot. It also turned out that one of his brothers was 100% compatible for stemcell transplant. So things were looking positive.

Unfortunately life likes to kick you down when you're about to get up and they couldn't the cancer down enough to start the stemcell transplant. AND his brother that was compatible, also got a tumor in his throat and also had to get a treatment. So stemcell from him was never an option again. From what i've heard from atwix/Ivo he will probably be ok though.

A few weeks ago he told me he was out of options. Saturday 4th september i went to a bar with him near his house, we sat on the terrace. I had a few beers and he had some water, but he had an agonizing headache. And his spleen was hurting. After an hour he asked me to take him to his mom's house. He couldn't keep up with me and he was very weak.
A few days later he was back at the hospital. Thursday evening he told me on whatsapp he felt a bit better, and we were even talking that maybe if he had some better days, we could go to the sea for a day or something. But it all went downhill from there rapidly.
I wanted to visit him last weekend, but saturday i got a text from his mother that he was in very bad shape. The plan was for me to go visit him yesterday, but unfortunately he was already in a very deep sleep since saturday evening and he passed away yesterday afternoon in the arms of his younger brother.

I feel VERY bad that i didn't spend more time with him this summer. I was so focussed on the positive results from the start of the summer, that i never realized it could go downhill so fast.

Atwix/Ivo was a sweet guy. A loner, socially a bit awkward and very intelligent. He turned 42, which is also my age. I'm heartbroken and i found it very painfull to see him suffer from chemo, complications, etc. for half a year and that it was all for nothing. Respect for him in the way he handled it. I have not seen him complain or whine "why me!?" once.
Having experienced this was also a great motivation for me to never touch a fucking cigarette in my life ever again.

Grim Dawn was probably my favorite game, but i don't think i'll ever be able to log into that game again. We played it so much the past year together, that it makes my stomach churn just thinking about it.

I'll miss my gaming buddy. R.I.P. my friend and sorry i wasn't there around more often last summer.

Last edited:
  • 57Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
I came here to post a tribute to Atwix and it's nice to see that someone already did. His real name was Ivo by the way.

View attachment 755932

I met Atwix in an mmorpg called Asheron's Call 2 in 2003. I was looking for a new guild and he invited me in a guild called AClegend.
He became my patron in the game and we quickly found out we were both from Belgium, so we were in touch a lot.
As with EU IV (and pretty much any game he played) the guy was pretty hardcore and was always dozens of levels above me.
There were server wide events where'd often play together, but most of the time he was grinding in groups with the big guys on the server.

View attachment 755933

View attachment 755934

View attachment 755935

Then i started playing Wow, but he kept playing AC2. After that he switched to several other mmo's. But just like me he was a huge fan of Arpg's.
We played Diablo 2 together a lot, i got him into Titan Quest and also Dungeon Siege 2. As with EU IV, the guy was VERY good at theorycrafting, so usually he made some OP chars where he just killed everything and i was tagging along behind him :p

Then we were out of touch for several years, untill one day i drove through the city where he lived and decided to get in touch with him again.
We were in touch regularly, but didn't play any games together. We did meet in Antwerp a few times for steak and beers.

In 2019 i convinced him to buy Grim Dawn + Expansions, because it was my favorite arpg. We played it for over a year every week/two weeks.
As with every game he plays, he gets too good at it. We had a lot of fun, but it lacked challenge for him.
I kept telling him 'once we get to Ultimate difficulty' it will get harder, i swear! But even the endgame was pretty doable when you play with someone like him.

In february we were playing Valheim for the first time, but he kept complaining about this painful cough he had.
A week later when we were playing GD again, he was still complaining about it and mentioned to me 'it might be cancer'.
He was a nurse as profession, but i rolled with my eyes and found his conclusion pretty dramatic. Then a week later, i got a text then it turned out to be myeloid leukemia.

So he soon went to the hospital where i visited him the first week and lend him my laptop so he could play some games. I dont think he played a lot, because obviously chemo wears you out. Very unfortunately the chemo didn't work. The second time neither.
At the beginning of July he got a new treatment (with weekly injections or something) that seemed to get the cancer down by a lot. It also turned out that one of his brothers was 100% compatible for stemcell transplant. So things were looking positive.

Unfortunately life likes to kick you down when you're about to get up and they couldn't the cancer down enough to start the stemcell transplant. AND his brother that was compatible, also got a tumor in his throat and also had to get a treatment. So stemcell from him was never an option again. From what i've heard from atwix/Ivo he will probably be ok though.

A few weeks ago he told me he was out of options. Saturday 4th september i went to a bar with him near his house, we sat on the terrace. I had a few beers and he had some water, but he had an agonizing headache. And his spleen was hurting. After an hour he asked me to take him to his mom's house. He couldn't keep up with me and he was very weak.
A few days later he was back at the hospital. Thursday evening he told me on whatsapp he felt a bit better, and we were even talking that maybe if he had some better days, we could go to the sea for a day or something. But it all went downhill from there rapidly.
I wanted to visit him last weekend, but saturday i got a text from his mother that he was in very bad shape. The plan was for me to go visit him yesterday, but unfortunately he was already in a very deep sleep since saturday evening and he passed away yesterday afternoon in the arms of his younger brother.

I feel VERY bad that i didn't spend more time with him this summer. I was so focussed on the positive results from the start of the summer, that i never realized it could go downhill so fast.

Atwix/Ivo was a sweet guy. A loner, socially a bit awkward and very intelligent. He turned 42, which is also my age. I'm heartbroken and i found it very painfull to see him suffer from chemo, complications, etc. for half a year and that it was all for nothing. Respect for him in the way he handled it. I have not seen him complain or whine "why me!?" once.
Having experienced this was also a great motivation for me to never touch a fucking cigarette in my life ever again.

Grim Dawn was probably my favorite game, but i don't think i'll ever be able to log into that game again. We played it so much the past year together, that it makes my stomach churn just thinking about it.

I'll miss my gaming buddy. R.I.P. my friend and sorry i wasn't there around more often last summer.
Thank for sharing this, means alot for people like me who knew him well, but nothing on a level you did. You sure made it to the endgame. Rest in Peace , and condolences from a stranger on the internet <3

• 3Like
Reactions:

View attachment 755932

View attachment 755933

View attachment 755934

View attachment 755935

I'm glad to hear he had an IRL friend like you. On stream about two years ago he mentioned he wanted to go sightseeing and visit my place. I was waiting forward it so much ever since, sadly it never came to be. I was so hopeful after the successes with those injections, i never expected it to go bad anymore. He was so hopeful and confident everything would work out from the very begining after we got back in contact after his first chemos. I don't think I ever heard anything so shocking. I hope you could pass our last goodbyes from me, Solare, IAIWE and the rest of the boys present if you see him in his resting place

• 3Like
Reactions:

View attachment 755932

View attachment 755933

View attachment 755934

View attachment 755935

What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing! We bear this pain and loss together, all of us. <3

• 2Like
Reactions:
Atwix hope you are in a better place and maybe we will see each other one day.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Just now learning he's a fellow Belgian hurts even more. He was even posting here on this forum just 6 weeks ago.

May his final rest be peaceful.

• 4Like
Reactions:
But I'm sad to hear he has lost his battle. Somewhere deep down I was thinking this wasn't something big and he would easily recover even after everything. I remember atwix from when he started streaming eu4 he used to play the game on speed 2. It took us so long to get him to speed up his gameplay but eventually, he got there for better or most likely for worse because he used to micro everything and you can't do that on speed 4 or 5. Atwix also used to play a lot of rimworld where he would start colonies on modded extra hard difficulties just to suffer. Those colonies never lasted long but atwix always seemed to enjoy the challenge. Atwix always loved a challenge and always chose the hardest starts for himself especially in eu4. Though he was never a fan of challenge runs with self-imposed restrictions he did enjoy going after the hard achievements or trying out niche nations like Aquila. He flat out refused to go for the easier nations I don't think he ever played an easy nation such as France or the Ottomans on stream. I learned a lot from him about the game. I don't think he was able to play leviathan since he was revisiting the game when it was harder. It is a shame since I feel he would have had a lot to complain about it and I would have enjoyed hearing him be grumpy about it. That said atwix always seemed to believe that most of the glaring issues would have been fixed in the next patch to contrast his grumpy outlook on the game. Though that one might be more an outlook from what I remember of him from the past. While I never knew him personally beyond his streams I would like to think of him as a friend.

• 3Like
Reactions:

View attachment 755932

View attachment 755933

View attachment 755934

View attachment 755935

wow, first i saw the steam avatar, and was like, goddamn atwix was another ac2 player, then i read the post.. lovely, and hi from a fellow ac2 and eu4 lover, and a watcher of atwix's stream. Will miss his antics

• 2Like
Reactions: