• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(103443)

Corporal
1 Badges
Jun 5, 2008
  • Darkest Hour
I understand that in AoD there is a time delay in any attack. Unlike the rest of the Hoi2 stable when you set an attack there is always a delay of several hours before it launches. This caught me out a few times early on, since synchronising several attacks can often be critical to success. That's fine but sometimes the attack will be arbitrarily delayed for weeks and since the interface is so poor (you still see the yellow for pending attack. Often I have launched an attack for (say) the next day, only to return to that battle a day or two later and find nothing has moved. When I check the units and tooltips I see an arrival time which is maybe a month later. But the actual attack time is never recorded so its very confusing. This used to happen occasionally in Darkest Hour but you could always manually override it by forcing an attack immediately. You cannot do that in AoD. I have a critical attack waiting in Russia right now and no matter what I do the units do not move. On top of that, since the tooltips only show est. arrival time I have no clue when the attack will launch. It is totally ridiculous and unrealistic that I cannot make my units attack and cannot even see when the delayed attack will launch. Im a Hoi2 veteran so im used to micro-managing but this is laughable.

The tooltip on the mission should tell you when the mission starts. If the mission is to attack, then this is also the time when the attack starts.

update
1. Could not get a large attack force to cross the river between Jegapils and deagaupilis. So eventually gave up, used the teleport command on one force (into the target zone)/ That forced a combat and then i re-set the rest of my attack force to Support attack and hey presto there is an actual combat. Yes, it's ridiculous but honestly I dont think tis is much more divorced from reality than most of AoD.
2. I just tried an attack from Narva into Kinigsepp. My unit was set to attack maybe a day ago, nothing happened. meanwhile the Russian units in Kingisepp are murdering my invasion force in Leningrad. So I patiently start another attack. The default attack time is three, maybe four weeks later (wtf!) so i manually dial back the attack time to the earliest possible time, which is 0600 the same day. Press OK and watch the clock move forward to 0600. No attack. Open the unit again and the attack clock has reset itself t o 1300. Totally baffled. I had heard that AoD was rubbish compared to DH but still was happy to run thru one campaign. I don't mind ridiculous rules systems and nonsense documentation but at the minimum in war game you should be able to command troops. Might just dump it this is the default carry-on.

Could you post a screenshot or tell us the makeup/type of the units you're attacking with? Or the units that you're trying to move from Narva to Kinigsepp?
Also could you select a unit that is moving from Narva to Kinigsepp, place your mouse over the mission (which will show a "tool tip" when the mission is to start) and then unpause the game, letting it play 3-4 hours (game hours). Then let us know if it the start time jumped immediately from the time to selected it to start or did it gradually increase each of the 3-4 game hours.

The default attack time is three, maybe four weeks later (wtf!) so i manually dial back the attack time to the earliest possible time, which is 0600 the same day.
The default time is the earliest time possible, but if a later time is chosen, then this time is remembered as the new default. Hence it makes sense to dial back to the earliest time possible whenever giving a new command. This can be tedious.

Press OK and watch the clock move forward to 0600. No attack. Open the unit again and the attack clock has reset itself t o 1300.
Now this should clearly not happen.

I resolved this by going back to an old save game (only a few days prior to these attacks). This time, everything went ok. But now, for every single offensive operation I follow a strict rule. I attack with one or two units carefully manually dialing back to the appropriate time and then i put every other unit on support attack. tedious, but it seems to work.

Fyi, I discovered that the auto time delay in attacks is ignored for certain supporting attacks. Often I will have an offensive underway. New units 9sometimes in a different province) will become available to join the offensive. If I set these to attack they get the auto-delay (is it 6 hours?). If I choose Support Attack they join the combat instantly.

Attached screenshots showing the bug in action. I attacked hohhot from saynshand (screenshot 1). its 0400 on main clock and attack is set for 1000. Unpause the game and as the main game clock moves forward so does the clock in the attack dialog. You can see in screenshot 2 its now 0900 on the main clock and the combat start has moved forward to 1400. Obviously the attack will never occur. Any ideas? Kinda tired having to restart the game continually. It's weird that this happens in AoD when it never happened in the base game.

Attachments

• aod2.png
    aod2.png
    104,1 KB · Views: 0
  • aod1.png
    aod1.png
    94,1 KB · Views: 0
Still getting the weird attack delay (om almost every second combat). Latest is an attack on Inverness from Dunfermline. I attack with 5 separate units against a garrison of 1. Launch each inf/mtn unit one at a time, consecutively so they should all get the normal earliest attack time. Look back a day later and no body has moved. All attacks arrows stuck in yellow (about to attack). Try re-setting individual units, looking carefully at the clock in the combat dialog box. Its 0400 hours and the default attack is 1000 same day. thats fine, press ok, and unpause. 1000 comes and no attacks. Try with a new unused unit in same province and hey presto , that attack fires off normally after a few hours delay. So now the usual AoD muck where 1 unit is attacking the enemy and 4-5 other units have an attack order on the same province unlaunched, doing nothing. So i re-set all the useless prospective attacks to support attack and bingo they all join in. Whew! Come back (from similar micro managing elsewhere!) a few days later and the single attack unit is now advancing into the unoccupied enemy province. Naturally all the support attacks have ended and now i have to re-set all these units to advance. So this is an attack order and we're back to the same nonsense. I set attacks and they don't go anywhere. Looking at the combat dialog box and tooltips the timings are all crazy. Its April 9 and the successful attack unit has an arrival time in enemy province of april 12. The other units with an attack order nto an empty enemy province have an ETA in early May, 1 month later! Makes no sense.

At the end I'll have to wait until the single unit has advanced into the enemy province at which point i can issue a move order for the other units. Wow, AoD really has "revolutionised" combat mechanics! Ho4 players used to joke about the micro-management in Hoi2. That's nothing - a leisurely paradise compared to AoD....

Last edited:
The tooltip on the mission should tell you when the mission starts. If the mission is to attack, then this is also the time when the attack starts.
Thats my exact point. That is not what is happening. I know how the game plays in theory , Ive been playing HOI2 for 10 years. I'm not asking how to play it, Im pointing out some weird behaviour particular to AoD.

Still getting the weird attack delay (om almost every second combat). Latest is an attack on Inverness from Dunfermline. I attack with 5 separate units against a garrison of 1. Launch each inf/mtn unit one at a time, consecutively so they should all get the normal earliest attack time. Look back a day later and no body has moved. All attacks arrows stuck in yellow (about to attack). Try re-setting individual units, looking carefully at the clock in the combat dialog box. Its 0400 hours and the default attack is 1000 same day. thats fine, press ok, and unpause. 1000 comes and no attacks. Try with a new unused unit in same province and hey presto , that attack fires off normally after a few hours delay. So now the usual AoD muck where 1 unit is attacking the enemy and 4-5 other units have an attack order on the same province unlaunched, doing nothing. So i re-set all the useless prospective attacks to support attack and bingo they all join in. Whew! Come back (from similar micro managing elsewhere!) a few days later and the single attack unit is now advancing into the unoccupied enemy province. Naturally all the support attacks have ended and now i have to re-set all these units to advance. So this is an attack order and we're back to the same nonsense. I set attacks and they don't go anywhere. Looking at the combat dialog box and tooltips the timings are all crazy. Its April 9 and the successful attack unit has an arrival time in enemy province of april 12. The other units with an attack order nto an empty enemy province have an ETA in early May, 1 month later! Makes no sense.

At the end I'll have to wait until the single unit has advanced into the enemy province at which point i can issue a move order for the other units. Wow, AoD really has "revolutionised" combat mechanics! Ho4 players used to joke about the micro-management in Hoi2. That's nothing - a leisurely paradise compared to AoD....
Update on this. The enemy province is now empty but still enemy controlled. I have several units on yellow attack bars (not going anywhere). If I select one of these units and right click on the enemy province I get a new yellow attack bar, no other info. that's normal for a quick attack and never works. However If I attack the slow way- select the unit, choose attack from the commands drop down and then choose the province, I get a combat dialog with an actual attack time, a few hrs away. That attack will launch. tedious, weird, but it works.