• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I tried the workaround, copied the file to the game's directory and even register the dll and doesn't work. For what i understood it's only necessary extract and copy the dll. Am I doing something wrong here?

I found that, at least in my case, setting off the anisotropic and the antialiasing options (in game video options), let the game start normally. I hope this information help.

Last edited:
The best compromise I could come up with for best performance and aesthetics is for my machine* is:

AA: 4x
AF: 16x
Shadows: High
HDR: Off

This also allows to enable software cursor with acceptable mouse lag. HDR with AA higher than 2x is... not good. It's very much an HDR or AA tradeoff. Everything is smooth and looks good, but I already miss HDR :( Just not enough to look at jaggies everywhere.

* Win 7 64bit - Phenom II 3.4 - 4 GB - Radeon 4870x2 - includes the linked fix in the original post to get the game even working. Much better experience with the nVidia 8800 GTS 320mb card I played the beta with, I could use HDR and AA at the same time with it.

The fix didn't even allow me to see the splash-screen and just crashed back to the Desktop. Without the fix, I can see the initial selection screen and change settings but can't start a game. I turned off AA, AF and HDR and still the game won't run. I have an ATI HD4850.

Edit: Got rid of Steam's serial number box and the game worked as I could see and clicked on the Play button -- why is this button even needed and why place it there? AA, AF, and HDR are still off but will try turning them on one at a time to see if the game still works.

Last edited:
The fix didn't even allow me to see the splash-screen and just crashed back to the Desktop. Without the fix, I can see the initial selection screen and change settings but can't start a game. I turned off AA, AF and HDR and still the game won't run. I have an ATI HD4850.

I have the HD4850 too and the game doesnt start at all. The screen goes black for a second and then goes back to desktop with error. Trying to fix the dll files didn't help. :(

Before turning off the AA and the AF i had installed the newest version of ati catalyst. After install it seems that had done nothing, but allowed me to play the game perfectly when turned down the AA/AF. Maybe some driver update in that package. The package i installed was the catalyst complete package (v11.2). I have the kn00tcn's fix dll in the game directory too as sugested in the post. My video card is ATI Radeon HD4670.

Get rid of the DLL fix, turn off AA, AF, and HDR, close the Steam's serial number box if there. Then see if it works. If yes, then go back and start turning on AA, AF, and HDR, one at a time.

Anybody have any ideas? :( I searched online a lot, but there is no actual fix for this. There are many solution (like the one from kn00tcn), but none if is a 100% fix. I tried copying the DLL files to the game folder, but then the game doesnt even start at all - i press play and then nothing happens - except that new error file is created in the game folder and new cities in motion process appears at task manager.

EDIT:
I managed to fix it. So for all Mac users having this problem don't use normal HD 4850 drivers, but download the boot camp one (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/bootcamp-win7.aspx) Uninstall everything, then restart and let Windows find some drivers and then update the display driver with the one you downloaded. Restart and all will be fine.

Last edited:
I have this same problem with Windows 7 64-bit and ATI Radeon 4870X2. The game crashes at startup. Although the .dll file provided by kn00tcn seems to fix it, I am very disappointed that a "bug" like this is present in the final version (I tried the beta version a while back and it had same issues, which I did report here). Even if it actually is AMD's "fault".

Is there anything that works for VISTA-32, 4870x2?

Maybe you should try extracting a similiar file from Catalyst 10.4 for Windows Vista 32-bit (available in here for example).

Anyway, it seems ok with version ...15 (I know, there is no patch v. .15, but the retail boxed version, I bought from Cenega (English and Polish version), has this version), there the bug is never more, I had not to use the kn00tcn's dll, and I had not looked at version and installed (sucessfuly, it had said) patch .14 and copied the dll, but it did not work. Then I realized, the game is newer version, so another reinstall helped.