Assuming the next patch is the "Scandinavia" patch what would you like to see in the patch?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jiben

Colonel
69 Badges
Jul 1, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
So last week we got a teaser about the next patch and it's generally assumed althought not gauranteed it was a picture of Vasa a sunked swedish ship.

So obvioussly i would personally like to see bigger mission trees for Sweden and Denmark but also a smaller mission tree for Norway, maybe give some love to the baltic nations aswell missions for LO/TO.

Maybe represent the peasant estate. Other than Dithmarschen Scandinavian peasants had much higher political representation that in much of europe.

Scandinavian monarchies where also semi-elected atleast pre 1500 or so. In 1448 Sweden elected a king of their own and he would also be elected king of Norway in 1449. While Denmark would regain supremacy i really feel like thats not represented in game at all.

Thoughts?

• 6Like
Reactions:
This is from an old post of mine but now very relevant, a dev did respond and said they where not making a meme viking tree for Norway, still this is what iam hoping for :

Now making a tree for Sweden should be pretty easy for a Swedish Company. They should know their history pretty well, and same with Denmark loads of history and main nemesis of Sweden. So that leaves the little brother of both Sweden and Denmark, Norway.

Now why do i even bring this up well for the love of god when you make a tree for Norway do not make it a meme: ha we were VIKINGS one. Use Norwegian history during the period as a basis for the missions, you can have one throw away mission about recolonising Vinland and that's where any viking references should end. Make it instead about recovering from the black plague, kicking the Hansa out of Bergen and getting back control of Norwegian trade and making Bergen the wonderfull trade city it was. Bosting the defenses of Norway against repeated Swedish invasions especially Bohus fortress on the border, the discovery of ores and metals in Norwegian Mountains, make it part of the missions tree developing the Kongsberg silver mines, it was very important to the Dano-Norwegian economy, building up the ore mines in Røros Trøndelag.

Events/missions related to admiral Thundershield born in Trondheim and his daring attacks on the Swedish navies during the great Northern war, 90% of his soldiers and 80% of his sailors were Norwegian showing just how many Norwegians served in the Dano-Norwegian navy. That part of the tree should be about building up a strong Norwegian navy, you could have a part of the mission tree be about ending the swedish threat ones and for all, by invading and defeating Swedish armies you get general Golden Lion as a reward, he invaded Sweden during the scanian war liberating the former Norwegian provinces and beating back the Swedes, one of the few examples of Norwegian forces being on the offence.

And i think the the stave church wonder should be replaced with the Nidaros Cathedral, as beautiful as the stave churches where they were completely irrelevant during this period, had barely any religious value and many where in a great state of decay, the Nidaros Cathedral on the other hand was one of the most important pilgrimage sites in northern europe since it is supposedly the resting place of Saint Olav.

Nidaros was also one of the few cultural links that Norway had with the rest of Europe, its importance to religion in Norway and Scandinavia can not be overstated, it was always the center of religion in Norway and when Denmark went protestant it was the main stronghold of catholicism in Norway( Norway did not want to become protestant) and where the the main resistance against the conversion of Norway was lead by archbishop Olav Engelbrektsson, there could be a entire part of the tree dedicated to keeping Norway catholic or going protestant.

The point of all this is please use the period's real Norwegian history as the basis of the mission tree it would make for a much more immersive campaign.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
So last week we got a teaser about the next patch and it's generally assumed althought not gauranteed it was a picture of Vasa a sunked swedish ship.
It's not a picture of Vasa, but it is a picture of a swedish battle ship, that has been confirmed by independent research (i.e. google search the image) so as long as they didn't pick the wrong photo or are trolling us next patch will at least partly do sweden :p

Agder, rather than Stavanger, being renamed to Christiansand if the Danes take it. If that's all it adds, I'll be content.

... though @Emperor Kirk's suggestions would be nice too, I guess. Though I'd ammend it by expanding slightly on Norwegian colonization efforts. While they didn't happen historically, in-game, Norway is in a prime colonized spot thanks to its springboard in Iceland, and a branch of the tree ought to be dedicated to North America. I 100% agree that this shouldn't be rooted in viking memes, though, but in alternative history roots revolving around fishing and the merchant navies wanting secured tobacco exports or whatever.

• 5Like
Reactions:
- Expanded full size mission trees for: Denmark, Sweden
- Mission trees for: Norway, Scandinavia, Finland, Teutonic Order, Livonian Order
- Replace Merchant Republic factions with a system more closer to estates
- Peasant estate
- Optional bonus: missions for minors in the area like Iceland, Holstein, Riga, Kurland

• 1Like
Reactions:
Gotland as a playable nation at the start of the game. Representing the island's state as rebel-controlled province is a huge disservice to its historical status, given that the island has for most of the Middle Ages been an independent republic and Denmark's historical rule over the island was very loose, which enabled the former king of Kalmar Union to cease Gotland with ease and recruit the last remnants of the Victual Brothers in an effort to gather enough wealth and support to retake the Scandinavian kingdoms.

A playable Gotland would have various interesting paths it could take. Perhaps the Gutnish islanders manage to throw away the pirates and seek to reverse Gotland's decline, reviving their Hanseatic connections and making Visby the center of Baltic trade like it used to be. Maybe Erik the Pomeranian succeeds in his bid to retake the Scandinavian thrones, ensuring the rule of the House of Gryf over the thrones of Scandinavia. Or perhaps the pirates stay in control of the island after the old king passes away, turning Gotland into a pirate republic and reviving the Victual Brothers.

Apart from a playable Gotland, other important details that a Baltic-oriented update should cover would be:
  • Expansion of Sweden's and Denmark's mission-trees, as well as new mission-trees for Norway, Livonian Order, Teutonic Order, and Scandinavia.
  • Peasant estate, Scandinavian elective monarchies, and potentially a Swedish government mechanic to represent the Caps and Hats during the later part of the game's timespan.
  • Mechanics and flavour events for Kalmar Union, to represent more accurately its history.
  • Rework of the Hanseatic League's mechanics, to make it able to act as a viable rival to the Kalmar Union.
  • Introduction of mechanics for Livonian Confederation and the Livonian Wars
  • Sapmi flavour, including conversion and colonization of Lapland, which would necessitate a new Uralic religion (for Sapmi, Perm and Uralic cultures in Siberia)
  • Unit packs for the nations in the Baltic region without one (Norway, Finland, Gotland, Iceland, Riga, Bremen, Oldenburg, Sapmi, Karelia, Estonia, Livonia, and Kurland)
  • New idea sets for nations in the Baltic region without unique ideas (Livonian Order, Livonia, Karelia, Iceland, Scandinavia, Oldenburg).

Last edited:
  • 17Like
Reactions:
Instead of a Scandinavia patch, make it a Baltic patch. Covering all of the Baltic sea lands

I would like them to figure something out with regards to a finnic/estonian cultural union thing with karelian.

The cultures there are split between 3 cultures groups while they are brethren.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is from an old post of mine but now very relevant, a dev did respond and said they where not making a meme viking tree for Norway, still this is what iam hoping for :

Now making a tree for Sweden should be pretty easy for a Swedish Company. They should know their history pretty well, and same with Denmark loads of history and main nemesis of Sweden. So that leaves the little brother of both Sweden and Denmark, Norway.

Now why do i even bring this up well for the love of god when you make a tree for Norway do not make it a meme: ha we were VIKINGS one. Use Norwegian history during the period as a basis for the missions, you can have one throw away mission about recolonising Vinland and that's where any viking references should end. Make it instead about recovering from the black plague, kicking the Hansa out of Bergen and getting back control of Norwegian trade and making Bergen the wonderfull trade city it was. Bosting the defenses of Norway against repeated Swedish invasions especially Bohus fortress on the border, the discovery of ores and metals in Norwegian Mountains, make it part of the missions tree developing the Kongsberg silver mines, it was very important to the Dano-Norwegian economy, building up the ore mines in Røros Trøndelag.

Events/missions related to admiral Thundershield born in Trondheim and his daring attacks on the Swedish navies during the great Northern war, 90% of his soldiers and 80% of his sailors were Norwegian showing just how many Norwegians served in the Dano-Norwegian navy. That part of the tree should be about building up a strong Norwegian navy, you could have a part of the mission tree be about ending the swedish threat ones and for all, by invading and defeating Swedish armies you get general Golden Lion as a reward, he invaded Sweden during the scanian war liberating the former Norwegian provinces and beating back the Swedes, one of the few examples of Norwegian forces being on the offence.

And i think the the stave church wonder should be replaced with the Nidaros Cathedral, as beautiful as the stave churches where they we completely irrelevant during this period, had barely any religious value and many where in a great state of decay, the Nidaros Cathedral on the other hand was one of the most important pilgrimage sites in northern europe since it is supposedly the resting place of Saint Olav.

Nidaros was also one of the few cultural links that Norway had with the rest of Europe, its importance to religion in Norway and Scandinavia can not be overstated, it was always the center of religion in Norway and when Denmark went protestant it was the main stronghold of catholicism in Norway( Norway did not want to become protestant) and where the the main resistance against the conversion of Norway was lead by archbishop Olav Engelbrektsson, there could be a entire part of the tree dedicated to keeping Norway catholic or going protestant.

The point of all this is please use the period's real Norwegian history as the basis of the mission tree it would make for a much more immersive campaign.
I would welcome them to add a "what if"-mission branch, focused on the Norwegian spirit of exploration: recolonizing Greenland and Vinland and further into America, becoming a colonial empire. I don't see that as a viking-meme really. Personally that's what I always focus on when I play Norway, while I try to maintain the balance between Denmark and Sweden in Scandinavia.

I agree with your ideas about rebuilding Norway, but I think it should lead up to some kind of mission for independence from Denmark: maybe a mission reward could increase Norway's desire for independence, since it right now is almost impossible to get it above even 0% due to the "historical friend"-thing with Denmark (a player can technically get support for independence and increase it that way, but I've always thought it kind of immersion-breaking that a loyal and friendly subject would do that out of nowhere).

With that said, I also think many of your ideas of conquering Sweden is based on the Dano-Norwegian history, but what if Norway is independent? Would it be so hostile to Sweden still? Even more so? What about Denmark? Here, I personally would love for Norway to go down some kind of diplomatic route, instead of the conquering road, but I don't know what an independent Norway in that period would be like.

I also agree that Nidaros is a better wonder than Heddal stave church, at least for the period.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I would welcome them to add a "what if"-mission branch, focused on the Norwegian spirit of exploration: recolonizing Greenland and Vinland and further into America, becoming a colonial empire. I don't see that as a viking-meme really. Personally that's what I always focus on when I play Norway, while I try to maintain the balance between Denmark and Sweden in Scandinavia.

I agree with your ideas about rebuilding Norway, but I think it should lead up to some kind of mission for independence from Denmark: maybe a mission reward could increase Norway's desire for independence, since it right now is almost impossible to get it above even 0% due to the "historical friend"-thing with Denmark (a player can technically get support for independence and increase it that way, but I've always thought it kind of immersion-breaking that a loyal and friendly subject would do that out of nowhere).

With that said, I also think many of your ideas of conquering Sweden is based on the Dano-Norwegian history, but what if Norway is independent? Would it be so hostile to Sweden still? Even more so? What about Denmark? Here, I personally would love for Norway to go down some kind of diplomatic route, instead of the conquering road, but I don't know what an independent Norway in that period would be like.

I also agree that Nidaros is a better wonder than Heddal stave church, at least for the period.
Indeed, so hard to know how Norway would have interacted with Sweden/Denmark if it was independent. I think Sweden at some point would have tried to invade based on their relatively aggressive foreign policy at the time. But that’s the cool part of the missions' trees it that they can be branching so if you want to go the diplo route you can or you can choose the conquest one.
The part of building up the navy an getting Thundershield at some point I still think fits, if Norway goes colonial the navy would probably be a high priority. And would be cool if you build up Bergen and kick out the Hansa it would either upgrade Bergen as a port or at least give it some dev/bonus since it was one of the largest cities in Scandinavia at the time. The colonial stuff works, it's just seen so many mods where it turns Viking like very fast, but some missions would be cool.

Reactions:
I'll admit that now that we've seen how they're doing branching missions, with mutually exclusive paths, I suddenly became a lot more open to meme runs. Not just for Norway, but for several nations. If you have one branch that's more grounded and historical, then having one branch for meme runs suddenly becomes much less intrusive than if the meme run is the only option.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Unique "United Scandinavia" formables.

For example:
- Denmark forms SCA = Kalmar Union
- Norway forms SCA = Nordic Empire
- Sweden forms SCA = Scandinavia
- Finland/Sapmi forms SCA = Sami Empire.
- Gotland forms SCA = Ragnarria

• 4Like
Reactions:
- New religion like Romuva, Norse and Suomi
-Nice changes for Hanseatic League's
-New formables
-New Missions for Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Gotland, Rugen, Livonian Order, Courland, Novogrod, Riga, Danzig, Pomerania and German minors near Baltic sea. Upgrade Missions of Lithuania, Poland and Russia
- New estates like peasant and magnate
-Events like Deluge, Northern Wars and better Time of Troubles.
-New kinds governments
- divide monuments in Europe per Religion usage and add new ones.

Reactions:
Viking music! :cool:

norse province at game start (maybe in iceland) purely for gameplay reasons
Worth noting that if they add a Norse province - which I strongly disagree that they should, because the Christening of Scandinavia happens over 400 years prior to game start - it should probably be in the interior of mainland Scandinavia. Simply because Iceland, which became Christian by law decreed in the Althing in 1000 AD, was sparsely populated with a mostly coastal population concentrated in relatively few settlements. That would have made it relatively more easy to convert and maintain conversion in than the interior of Scandinavia, which had a large population (relative to Iceland) and longer travel times due to lacking infrastructure or oft-traversed waterways.

• 1Like
Reactions:
1) Gothenburg:

A mission for Sweden, celebrating last year's anniversary of the foundation of Gothenburg

I'd love to see an event/mission for Sweden to found the city of Göteborg (real life foundation in 1621) which could be a really interesting addition, moving the regional capital to Gbgs location.

It could give trade influence to the Lübeck node, help to break Denmark's Sound toll, add development and potentially a castle since the city was fortified (similar to the city of Jakarta) .

It also offers the chance for really interesting event chain reflecting the strong influence of the Dutch, Scottish and Germans who had together a majority in the city council.

Not sure if I find the time to work on a proper proposal, but I think this could be a really nice addition and help to reflect the expansion of Sweden towards the west

2) Swedish Independence :)

Some events where Sweden can ask for support of independence from the Hanse League, as in real life. Currently you never can gain any real assistance by Lübeck or the whole league, but they were some of the most influencial financiers and supporters of the Swedish Independence War. Some events reflecting this by offering financial support to fund the Swedish army and potentially some mercenary troops could be an interesting addition in return for transferring trade power or something of that sort.
The Hanse had a great interest in breaking Denmark's sound toll and the Kalmar Leagues trade influence.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: