Assimilation through cultural integration *updated version*

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

master_kong

Colonel
52 Badges
Oct 3, 2017
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome
As widely known, what we have in this game as cultural integration tools such as granting citizenship, used by Romans also resulted in complete assimilation in some regions. Actually, the whole Western part of the empire was completely assimilated. However, in the game integration results in completely exempting said culture from assimilation which can be a bit counter-intuitive.

When we look at the regions that got assimilated by Romans we see that their common ground was that the vast majority of them were tribal people. While the Eastern part of the empire was mostly "civilized" which was the reason why they kept their cultural identities under Roman rule. Even though they were calling themselves Roman citizens the whole time.
Edit: Oh, and also the Romans were not an exception, integrated native pops under Diadochi kingdoms for example were somewhat the same. The whole situation is not a Roman exception, they were just better at it.

So what I propose to model this situation is, let tribesmen pops assimilate even when their cultures are integrated. Also, when an integrated culture tribesman pop gets promoted, it will get the parent culture instead. This way assimilation process will be more historical and we can witness such things as historical Romanization on the map.

Lastly, to reflect integrated pops calling themselves Romans, when a culture being integrated show that culture with color stripes of the parent culture similar to an occupation on the map. Maybe even an additional tooltip to explain the situation. This simple cosmetic addition would add even more to the culture, integration and assimilation game while also making it more immersive.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
I dont't know.
You are talking about "tribesman" which should represent the rural people which stick around ( celtiberian in spain, or the inhabitants of northern part of greece/balcans)
But my point is, why in the heaven you should concede the integration ( = citizenship) to those people?
Why a player should do it's easy: for the levies thing. but in historical context.. why should I admit those people to have full rights?

Reactions:
I dont't know.
You are talking about "tribesman" which should represent the rural people which stick around ( celtiberian in spain, or the inhabitants of northern part of greece/balcans)
But my point is, why in the heaven you should concede the integration ( = citizenship) to those people?
Why a player should do it's easy: for the levies thing. but in historical context.. why should I admit those people to have full rights?
If you are talking about historical context, it's easy, that is what happened in history mostly. A lot of tribesman folks were integrated by the Romans this way. It's not even just about Romans. It's a common process of how tribal peoples were integrated by societies with advanced governments. And if you think about it, that's the reasonable thing to do anyway. Why should you continue fighting those people even after you won the war? Integrate them by merging their identities into yours and now you're stronger too with all those people being added into your realm.

Historically, Tribesmen pop are the last to assimilate. Everyone should continue to assimilate while integrated, but Tribesmen should assimilate the slowest. Because by definition you cannot integrate them as they live outside of your socio-political system. And without integration there should not be much assimilation at all in general. By the end of the game, you should barely have assimilated any of them. The only part I like about this is the last bit:

Lastly, to reflect integrated pops calling themselves Romans, when a culture being integrated show that culture with color stripes of the parent culture similar to an occupation on the map. Maybe even an additional tooltip to explain the situation. This simple cosmetic addition would add even more to the culture, integration and assimilation game while also making it more immersive.

I think this would be nice to have in game, but not the rest.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Historically, Tribesmen pop are the last to assimilate. Everyone should continue to assimilate while integrated, but Tribesmen should assimilate the slowest. Because by definition you cannot integrate them as they live outside of your socio-political system. And without integration there should not be much assimilation at all in general. By the end of the game, you should barely have assimilated any of them. The only part I like about this is the last bit:
I'm not saying they will be the first to be assimilated. Tribesmen pops are already the slowest in the game regarding assimilating IIRC. However, tribesmen being assimilated upon promotion was rather a common thing. Also, saying by the end of the game barely assimilating any of them is a bit of exaggeration.