Assault armies should be created by jobs instead of being formed from minerals like some kinda DnD monster

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jeffreyteciller

First Lieutenant
6 Badges
Oct 16, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
Land warfare seems to be that one thing pretty much everyone seems to agree isn't that good; you just buy a buttload of armies, send them to the planet you want to invade, then watch as NUMBERS happen. There's not much of a strategy, you just buy enough armies(but not too many, because that could cripple the economy), send them over, and then you win.

Another thing that is kinda strange about armies is that soldier jobs can only help you defensively in land warfare, not offensively. Instead, armies kind of just... are built out of minerals, with the number of armies created being limited by the number of pops in your empire, regardless of their job. In my opinion, this makes armies feel disconnected from the rest of the game, kind of a relic of the past.

To remedy these things, I suggest making it so that assault armies are created by soldier jobs. I have worked out a system that does this, while also changing how armies operate(hopefully for the better)

The vision

This suggestion is focused on making land warfare more interesting, but unlike most other suggestions of this type, this is not done by trying to improve invasions themselves. Instead, it aims to improve everything surrounding it, how you create armies, how you manage them and so on. The idea is that being good at land warfare should be achieved by building up a powerful military infrastructure, and not just by buying armies from the army buying menu.

The suggestion would also, by necessity, include a revamp to the way armies move. Instead of transport ships, they would move more like how leaders move, but with a few differences. Admittedly, this system might be a bit less intuitive, but it would also make the game a bit more strategic.

How to create armies

Jobs that create defense armies now also create some assault armies, with the exact values being adjusted by some ethics and policies. For most empires, enforcers produce one defense army and one assault army, while soldiers produce two of each, with the ability to swap one army over to the other type through a policy. The type of assault army created depends on the pop in question, with robotic pops creating robotic armies and so on.

Moving armies around

Assault armies are now bound to a planet, and instead of moving around in transportation ships, they can instead be assigned to do a certain task(invade planet, complete a mission, etc.), and will then go to do that task. This works similar to moving leaders, with the army taking more time to start the task the further away the planet is.

During peacetime, armies will automatically move back to their home planet when they don't have a task to do. They will be unavailable until they return.

During war, you can freely move armies from one planet to another, provided there is a free line of non-enemy territory from one planet to another. When an army is killed, it will eventually be brought back on the planet it came from, provided the job is still intact and the planet hasn't been invaded.

Upgrading armies

While on their home planet, assault armies can be upgraded to more advanced variants(gene warrior armies, psionic armies, battle frame armies, etc.), assuming it's an appropriate type(can't turn robots into psionics and whatnot). This will have an upfront cost, as well as an upkeep cost, which should ideally be more creative than just mineral cost and energy upkeep. Armies can also be demoted to their "base" form if one wishes.

If an upgraded army is killed in battle, it retains its upgraded status when it's recreated by its associated pop.

Special armies(clones, event armies, zombies, and so on)

This system works well for regular armies, where armies are recruited from the populace, but some armies in stellaris don't work like that. These will have to work through some slightly different mechanics:

Xenomorphs and undead armies are generated by either necromancers(for the undead), or a new xenomorph-specific job unlocked by its relevant tech.

Clone armies could kinda keep the old mechanics, what with them being recruited by just buying them.

Event armies could also work in a similar way to clones, but with their current "only X of them can be recruited" rule.

Slave armies could be generated by just having enough battle thralls on a planet, with every X battle thralls giving you one slave army.

How to handle "overflow armies" and draft dodgers

This section is for discussing what to do if, say, a pop working for a soldier job stops working for that job. During peacetime, we can assume that it just deletes the associated assault army, but what if there's a war going on and that army is off invading a planet? In these instances, your army will become "over-capacitated", which means no armies are able to regenerate health until the number of armies in service is less than or equal to how many armies you're "supposed" to have. This is to simulate a lack of reinforcements.

Additionally, when an army leaves its home planet, it will "lock" its associated pop into its current job, preventing it from losing its job through promotion or being replaced by a better pop.(They can still lose their job if the building is destroyed)

I am aware this system could cause some inbalance, with an empire ending up with the wrong composition of armies by the end, but personally I think this is a better way of handling it than by having armies just poof out of existence when they stop being supported, or having every army be assigned to a certain pop.

The benefits of this system

- building an army would be made more interesting, since it's now more about creating military infrastructure, rather than just buying them outright.
- would make armies feel more distinct, because they can now be created in different ways(jobs, upgrading, or sometimes just buying them)
- would add another layer of strategy, because invading another planet would now also leave your own planet less guarded.

This would hopefully make land warfare more interesting, but it should probably also be paired with some more improvements, like more interesting combat, but that is for someone else to fix.

• 44Like
  • 6Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I largely like the OP idea as-is. I would just suggest three minor adjustments:

(1) The basic assault army should cost something to produce and maintain. In this sense, soldier jobs act as a sort of cap, instead of giving a "free" assault army.

(2) It shouldn't be possible to buy clone armies just like now. The problem is that in the OP proposal all army types are in some way tied to jobs. If there is a type of army not tied to a job (i.e. that can be spammed nearly freely) it breaks the entire mechanics because of the sheer spamming that it allows. So, I would tie clone armies to medical worker jobs or otherwise limit them via a building. After all, short-lived clones must be substituted frequently and so a steady stream of new ones must be produced.

(3) When a non-clone, non-xenomorph assault army is killed there is a small but non-zero probability that the pop that holds the related job is killed too. It is entirely reasonable that large ground invasion campaigns should cost lives (not only of the invaded, but also of the invader).

As an alternative proposal, a manpower pool might be introduced. This would function in the following way:

- Soldier jobs, robots and slaves generate monthly manpower. The manpower pool capacity is equivalent to X months of generated manpower (civics, buildings, traditions and so on modify this cap). In case you lose monthly manpower generation, the current pool of manpower will decay slowly towards the new manpower pool capacity. This prevents the immediate collapse of somebody's land forces in case a soldier- (or slave- or robot-) rich planet is conquered.

- To recruit, maintain and heal an army, manpower is drawn by the pool. Hitting zero manpower when monthly manpower balance is positive means that armies cannot be healed (or are healed at reduced rate) and recruited. Hitting zero manpower when monthly manpower is negative causes one army to be dismantled per month until the balance is positive again. If there are damaged armies, those are dismantled first.

- Concerning the type of army that you can recruit, this depends also on the number of certain pop types (just like now) or certain jobs you have . So robot pops cap the number of robotic armies, slave pops cap the number of slave armies, soldier jobs cap the number of regular armies and so on. While treating manpower as a single resource (regardless of the source) might seem too abstract, this second check on manpower-generating pops should limit the number of absurd situations (like maintaining a large regular army using manpower produced by slaves).

- Obviously, creating an army still costs some minerals and, while in battle, also energy as maintenance. Manpower in this sense tracks specifically the level of your military infrastructure and of your preparedness in general, as the OP called it.

- This system can be extended seamlessly also to gestalts.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I wouldn't give enforcers the ability to create assault armies and I'm hesitant to give them defense armies, Cops make poor soldiers and are better served to evacuate civilian population, in this regard I would allow enforcers to allow soldiers the ability to produce additional defense armies capital building might trade an enforcer for a soldier. I would also suggest that enforcers also counts as firefighters and first aid providers in this context they will protect the planet from devastation (to a degree) and reduce collateral damage from armies fighting. I would make an exception through a Military Police Civic which specifically mixes the roles. There may also be a planetary decision that temporarily allows enforcers to add defense armies at the cost of the buffs mentioned.

Would you be able to pick which pops specifically fill soldier jobs or would it just be as random as it is now and use military service species right to make sure the right species is your soldiers? That system sounds a little messy

If cloned armies would work the old way I would rather all special armies work the old way with limitations where appropriate, creating clone armies should also prevent cloning vats from assembling pops while it is being used.
Enforcers could, in policy screen, depending on the Civic and Ethic and pos. Origin change into "also" Assault army material, I think, acording to OP.
It makes sense actually, real world and popculture examples:
NKVD and Field Commisars, modern Ministry of Interior troops (like those fighting in Chechnya), SS, Gendarmerie, Slave Overseers, National Guard(deployed overseas, like in 'Nam)

W40k Arbites and Custodes, PDF forces(turned into Guard's fullfledged overseas regiments), Dredd's Judges, Fallout's Militia and Securitrons and so on, and so forth.

1. Create a new resource called "Troops".
2. Soldiers generate Troops, as do Clone Vats. Star Bases, Fortresses and Strongholds and Academies create Troop capacity.
3. Drop Pods are added to ships. Drop Pods require troops to build, and require high troops maintenance costs
4. Features that buff assault armies instead buff troop production.
5. Resilient adds +0.25 defensive armies per pop regardless of job.

Drop Pods come in types matching army types.

Assault Drop Pods (limited by pops)
Hunter-killer Drop Pods (limited by pops)
Clone Drop Pods (low troop cost)
Psionic Drop Pods (upgrade from assault, also limited by psionic pops)
Genemod Drop Pods (general upgrade from assault)
Xenomorph Drop Pods (limited to 1 per researcher pop)
etc.

To use them, you set your ship to bombard a planet. Armies are then spawned on the planet to fight. When the attacking army is destroyed, the component is converted to "depleted drop pod", which can be upgraded at a starbase back to a drop pod.

Fleets can be set to "invade" stance, in which case they'll maneuver to drop on the planet rather than maneuver to engage enemy ships. When bombarding, their evasion is halved and they take double damage from attacks, so this is a dangerous strategy. If a ship is destroyed, their invading army is either instantly destroyed or decays rapidly.

Reactions:
I've read through the entire thread and all proposals are convoluted and would make ground combat much more of a chore and worse than the current system, lmao. What the problem with what is currently impleneted, NUMBERS going up and down? The same can be said about anything in the game. I find convoluted ground combat mechanics a massive chore in any 4x space game.

If I were to improve land combat I'd do the following:
- Add an option for troop transport stacks to determine when they will invade on aggressive stance: regardless of strength, when even with garrison, when garrison is 75% of their strength or less, etc...
- Add a popup, much as one that indicates an initiated invasion, should an automated transport refuse to invade due to disparity of strength, that shifts view to the planet in question
-Add a right click option for troop transport to issue command to invade all planets in a system, much like a science ship can survey all planets in a system, and be queued to do it too. The transports would then invade all planets according to the toggle in point 1, and you get a popup if they refuse due to disparity of strength.
-Stop the agressive stance from making transports auto follow follow fleets, or make it a separate toggle. Right now it just endangers the transports

As for the AI, from my experience it doesen't protect its planets well enough from ground assault. I don't remember the last time I saw a sizable garrison that could pose a problem.

Reactions:
What the problem with what is currently impleneted, NUMBERS going up and down? The same can be said about anything in the game. I find convoluted ground combat mechanics a massive chore in any 4x space game.
Thank you for hitting the nail on the head. Why do people want to play, like, an entire separate strategy game every time they ever have to invade every single planet? Does that sound *fun!?*

Ground Combat in Stellaris would almost be better served by being treated like Situations or Archeology Sites. Place an Army, watch a bar wiggle back and forth.

Reactions: