Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I love you guys but why must you torment us with hidden codes? But seriously it's 5AM and I just wanted to ask you guys: "Where do you see Paradox in ten years?"

/passes out.

i just looked at your website and saw FTG as the 3rd most sold game, i love FTG and its concept(historical events ftw) but are you guys suprised by its success for a game whose graphics are substandard and relies on the player to do all of the imagining for themselves and do you think the gaes success shows content is the way forward, not graphics?

Actually, thats the 3rd most sold game that day.

To be entirely honest, the sales of FTG have not been as good as we had hoped or expected.

Last edited:
We've worked with distributors in these markets for quite some time already now. Our ties to Cyberfront (Japan), New Era (Thailand, Singapore), Snowball (Russia) for instance go back all the way to Hearts of Iron 2. The reason you don't hear too much about that on these boards is because those versions are localized and releases handled mainly by their local companies rather than us. I've attached a couple of localized examples :)

Aside from physical retailer, digital distribution has skyrocketed and that has helped our presence worldwide.

I Loved the screenshot, particularly how Chiang Kai Shek (pardon the spelling), is at the forefront on the chinese retail version...Maybe you could post some more localized covers?
And on that issue, which country (aside from Sweden of course) do you find more receptive to Paradox titles, always considering the population/Paradox sales ratio?

Has anyone photoshopped Fredrik's hair away and posted it in the office yet? :D

Have you ever considered doing a game based off David Gemmels's Drenai series?

In what country has there been the sharpest increase in sales in the past year?

How many times have you seen 'The Princess Bride'?

Actually, thats the 3rd most sold game that day.

To be entirely honest, the sales of FTG have not been as good as we had hoped or expected.

Could be asking to much, but: Could you give a ranking (without showing actual sales figures) of the overall most sold games of paradox?

Has anyone photoshopped Fredrik's hair away and posted it in the office yet? :D

I'm not sure if anyone has photoshopped away his hair yet, but there are pictures of some of the staff with very large black mustaches circulating at the office.

Do you love me, Paradox? Do you love me? :mad::(

Could be asking to much, but: Could you give a ranking (without showing actual sales figures) of the overall most sold games of paradox?

Eu3
HoI3
Hoi2
HoI1
Rome

is the top 5 afaik.

Eu3
HoI3
Hoi2
HoI1
Rome

is the top 5 afaik.

In order, for the entire history of sales?

Does HoI3 have much ground to make up (without divulging any numbers or statistics which are rightfully kept secret) on EU3, or is it close?

Edit:

Also does it include expansions for EU3?

Eu3
HoI3
Hoi2
HoI1
Rome

is the top 5 afaik.

Wow, I didn't see that coming...I mean i expected EU3 and Hoi3 and 2, but i would certainly expect to see EU2 in the list. Let's be honest, it was the game that actually made Paradox's name, is it not? Unless sales that old are not documented properly...As for the FTG sales Johan, was that a real surprise? I know it was hard work and a nice idea altogether, but the price was a bit high, especially for us who already owned an original EU2...I truly believe that had it been in the 10 euros scale, it would have fared much better in the long run, just like AOD would.
And just to satisfy my curiosity, could you please post a complete list of all the Paradox titles in order of sales? Or at least reveal where EU2 stands in that list?

Wow, I didn't see that coming...I mean i expected EU3 and Hoi3 and 2, but i would certainly expect to see EU2 in the list. Let's be honest, it was the game that actually made Paradox's name, is it not? Unless sales that old are not documented properly...

Eu2 is about same level as diplomacy, victoria and ck. eu1 did better.

As for the FTG sales Johan, was that a real surprise? I know it was hard work and a nice idea altogether, but the price was a bit high, especially for us who already owned an original EU2...I truly believe that had it been in the 10 euros scale, it would have fared much better in the long run, just like AOD would.
And just to satisfy my curiosity, could you please post a complete list of all the Paradox titles in order of sales? Or at least reveal where EU2 stands in that list?

I doubt it would have sold more at any price. The market for deep rigid historical event games are not that huge as we've noticed. I'd have hoped that an EU2 remake to a forum that was so in uproars over Eu3 going sandbox would sell at least a 1/20th of an average EU3 expansion.

I doubt it would have sold more at any price. The market for deep rigid historical event games are not that huge as we've noticed. I'd have hoped that an EU2 remake to a forum that was so in uproars over Eu3 going sandbox would sell at least a 1/20th of an average EU3 expansion.

I decided not to in the end as I didn't agree with AGCEEP on their priorities on events, and outcomes, for EU2.

So I didn't expect them to done it better with their new version which made me avoid buying it.

Even if I have been very tempted to do so based on the new things added.

Some dev dairies talked about the traditional "lunch Vindaloo". What's you're favourite food (a question to any Paradox staff, I guess)?

Is there any plans to make more use of the skills & time available from the people on the Forums? Ie, if you look at the number of mods, it is obvious that there are tons of people out there with a passion & the time to devote to moding the game - and most would be willing to work for free if they were only asked...

Ie, for example with an expansion for HOI3, you could ask for samples for events, provisions of leaders for non-major powers, etc. Not saying you would have to use any of this, but it would be a good, fast way to collect info in a manner that would be easier for your development team to edit. Was thinking that this would be an easy way to provide more "flavour" to the product.

Second question is to the status of selling HOI products in China. Is it still officially banned & is there any plans to have this resolved?

Last edited: