Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Time for a scary question: If Paradox was to be bought out by a major publishing company (think EA), which would you hate the least and why?

And before the dragon eats me, I'd like to also say that I found Rome underrated and I even use it for my avatar

I think that EU: Rome is Paradox's most underrated game. It deserves far more players than that it has.

Definitely. Has there been any EU series game that you didn't like? Besides, thanks for Semper fi, it looks great.

New fun questions! :)

1. What are your favourite bar(s) in Stockholm?
2. Are you planing on making more Pdox T-Shirts etc (my old ones are getting.. small)?
3. If no to 2., please?

/F

2. Yepp, we are looking into painless (for us) options to provide Paradox merchandise so hopefully you'll be able to get anything your heart desires in the future.

- Susana:
1. By what I could garner, Paradox seems to be having a bigger share and popularity in the European and North American markets, which coincidentially are the biggest. Likewise, pushes have apparently begun in Russia, by connections with Russian companies, all with the supposed aim of enhancing the Paradox brand in Russia. Do you think Paradox can also manage to enter and raise its visibility and compete in the important Far Eastern markets (China, Japan, S. Korea), phreaps by attempting similar connections with Asian developers or developping games on popular Far-Eastern themes and ages with it's design philopsophy, or do you think Paradox would not be able to gain enough visibility and popularity to make such marketing pushes into Asia worth it (Either by political issues, strong competition, lack of contacts and awareness about the Asian gaming world, etc)?

We've worked with distributors in these markets for quite some time already now. Our ties to Cyberfront (Japan), New Era (Thailand, Singapore), Snowball (Russia) for instance go back all the way to Hearts of Iron 2. The reason you don't hear too much about that on these boards is because those versions are localized and releases handled mainly by their local companies rather than us. I've attached a couple of localized examples :)

Aside from physical retailer, digital distribution has skyrocketed and that has helped our presence worldwide.

Attachments

• bild.jpg
    bild.jpg
    127,3 KB · Views: 297
Kapt Torbjorn said:
Serious question: Why did you guys sign on as the publisher for this game?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalin_vs._Martians

Hehe

It seems like a good idea at the time :)

Questions for (almost) everyone (I would wish for personal answers/opinions, rather than company statements)!

- Frederik:
1. Having seen the progress done for Victoria 2, considering the time era, and taking all else into account, do you still believe the game will not be able to make a profit?

Considering what I have seen so far, I am convinced we'll make a profit. I played quite a lot of Victoria 1 myself and I hope we can reach a larger audience with No 2.

2. Imagining you were approached by Firaxis (I'd say Sid Meier, but apparently he barely has any true guidance in game development anymore), for a joint-project between Firaxis and Paradox to develop Colonization 2 (For reality's sake, let's say Paradox's programming team would be hired and integrated into the Firaxis development team), and published under Paradox Interactive brand itself. Would you consider such a move (As CEO) or do you think the design philosophies behind both programming teams would be imcompatible?

If we got the opportunity to work with Firaxis we would love to do so. I do not find our approach to games in general to be incompatible.

3. Can you give us a run down at how you became CEO of Paradox Interactive? (If I'm forced to choose a time-line go from college graduation to present-time, but change it at will.)

I have been working for Paradox almost 7 years, the last year as CEO and the years before that as Executive VP. During this time I haven't only focused on Paradox, but built up GamersGate between 2006-2009 and worked with several other projects as well. When we separated GamersGate and Paradox in 2009 we also separated management teams and I was appointed Paradox CEO in April 2009 (Theodore Bergquist, the former CEO is now CEO at GamersGate).

So I'm not new in the company or new to our games, but a year old as CEO.

4. Would you consider expanding the programing team (Thus raising the costs of maintaining the company), using the company's current solid financial situation, if you wished to embark on more ambitious titles?

We have stepwise increased the team during the years I've worked here and are continuing to do so.

New fun questions! :)

1. What are your favourite bar(s) in Stockholm?
2. Are you planing on making more Pdox T-Shirts etc (my old ones are getting.. small)?
3. If no to 2., please?

/F

1. Oh I like many of them. I tend to keep to Södermalm though, because I'm lazy. I can tell you that Kelly's, Gröne Jägaren and Tucken are NOT my favourites. ;)

2. I hope so! I want more merchandise too...

What other Video Game studio would you like to work at, if you couldn't work at PI? Why?

A long time I though the answer to this was Blizzard, but now I lean towards Bioware. Because I enjoy their games a lot, as simple as that.
It's not like I'd quit Paradox to work there though. :)

Did you ever play the text based football games by Wizard Games of Scotland? They have been on every computer I have ever owned. Basic, but lots of fun.

Does piracy push DRM or does DRM push piracy?

Does anyone play any web based games? (I'm currently into Neptune's Pride)

I've played a browser soccer game named Hattrick, does that count? Not a lot of graphics in it. :)

No piracy discussions in here.

Lord of Ultima and Exile Gods. The latter on facebook, neither is awesome.

I've got three:

1. What foreign languages (beside English) do you know well?

2. When will you update Crusader Kings: DV?

3. What is your favourite novel?

1. None

2. Dunno

3. The Foundation by Asimov. When I had read it, I remember thinking I was jealous of those who have not read it and will get to read for the first time. This was years ago though, I think I might be ready for a second read-through.

Polemic question:
Have any of you guys played the new CnC4? What are your thoughts on it? (I personally think it was a hard fail)

I personally never liked any of the CnC games (I found them a bit soul-less and rush-prone). I havent tried the new one tho. on second thought, red alert was ok:ish.

Planescape Torment was an awesome game, and is still easily in my top 5 favorites of all time. someone needs to re-do it with modern graphics badly. please pretty please

I'll do as Susana did and answer a bunch of questions right away.

Favorite beer?
Rasputin

What do you enjoy most about working for Paradox Interactive?
My co-workers. The multiplayer game we usually play every Tuesday. Beer Fridays. Scripting ^^

Favorite vacation spot, for any of the employees?
Any lake with a sand beach, preferrably Vänern.

Who is the company's practical joker?
Shams?

Who wears their emotions on their sleeve for all to see?
Um... I don't know.

Who would be most likely to give me a hug should I acquire enough money to buy a plane ticket and show up on your doorstep?
If you offer anyone a hug, they will probably hug you.

Could you provide some background info on yourselves? E.g. hometown, age, education, etc etc; whatever you feel like sharing!
Hometown: Karlstad.
Education: Studied Computer Games Development - Design at the University of Skövde, graduated 2009. Bachelor of Art.
Joined Paradox 7 january 2010.
Random trivia: I love beef jerky, I always bring an apple to the office for Mr. Nibbles and I am a huge fan of Terry Pratchett and Robert A. Heinlein.

What was it like being offered a job with Paradox? How exactly did it happen?
It took me exactly eleven days to get the job. On 7 December 2009 I was looking through Facebook and saw that Paradox was looking for a scripter. I fixed my CV and wrote a cover letter and sent it in on 9 December. The very next day I got a phone call from Johan who asked me if I was available for an interview on 15 December. They offered me the job on 18 December and I said yes, of course. :D

What kind of music (if any but Falalalan) do you listen to?
Poets of the Fall, The Killers, P!nk, Serj Tankian and many more.

i just looked at your website and saw FTG as the 3rd most sold game, i love FTG and its concept(historical events ftw) but are you guys suprised by its success for a game whose graphics are substandard and relies on the player to do all of the imagining for themselves and do you think the gaes success shows content is the way forward, not graphics?