Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Eu2 is about same level as diplomacy, victoria and ck. eu1 did better.

I doubt it would have sold more at any price. The market for deep rigid historical event games are not that huge as we've noticed. I'd have hoped that an EU2 remake to a forum that was so in uproars over Eu3 going sandbox would sell at least a 1/20th of an average EU3 expansion.

EU1 did better ??? That's a revelation:eek:. I thought that "you cant annex superpowers" rule would have made a difference in favor of EU2.
As for the "sandbox" character of FTG, i believe it would have mattered more if it was released 3-4 years earlier. Older board members still remember the modding craze surrounding the AGC vs. EEP "rivalry". I believe it would have been gold then, but in 2009 why would someone invest 20 euros in FTG, when he could just invest a bit more and get sandbox EU3? After all, we had modded/played EU2 to the death at that point...
But seriously, 1/20th of an average EU3 expansion? That's noteworthy to say the least. Could you give some rough numbers for us to make a comparison?

Ie, for example with an expansion for HOI3, you could ask for samples for events, provisions of leaders for non-major powers, etc. Not saying you would have to use any of this, but it would be a good, fast way to collect info in a manner that would be easier for your development team to edit. Was thinking that this would be an easy way to provide more "flavour" to the product.
Paradox has been doing this for a long time now. They've included the leader revamp mod (can't remember the name) in HoI2 (DD or Arma?), and just recently the cultural names mod for the newest EU3 beta patch.

Do you ever find the idea that hundreds of hours of your work is going to be picked over and criticised in public here soul-destroying? I mean, the vast majority of posts on paradoxplaza are positive, so that's got to be encouraging, but there is always going to be some criticism, no matter what. Do you ever dread logging on?

Do you ever find the idea that hundreds of hours of your work is going to be picked over and criticised in public here soul-destroying? I mean, the vast majority of posts on paradoxplaza are positive, so that's got to be encouraging, but there is always going to be some criticism, no matter what. Do you ever dread logging on?

Yes. There are times I avoid reading certain forums.

Oh, and another question: seeing as some forumites practically collect icons, is there a limit of icons the forum software can display? :D

Some dev dairies talked about the traditional "lunch Vindaloo". What's you're favourite food (a question to any Paradox staff, I guess)?

I like Indian food the best I guess.

Oh, and another question: seeing as some forumites practically collect icons, is there a limit of icons the forum software can display? :D

not that i know off.. Maybe its at like 65355 or something like that.

not that i know off.. Maybe its at like 65355 or something like that.
Well, keep on making new games for us to play then! :)

You guys have started asking questions that takes research to answer. :/

icon10.gif

Isn't that part of the job - as well as expecting such questions from such posters?

@Paradox, can I come visit on Beerday? :( (Is it BYOB?)

Yes. There are times I avoid reading certain forums.

I think it's a credit to PI that the staff still have as much regular contact with the forum as they do. After the HoI3 release, I thought we would be hearing a lot less from the devs. I suppose if your work gets released to such a huge public audience, you have to be somewhat thick-skinned.

Don't get me wrong, much of the criticism was legit, but the tone was apalling.

I think it's a credit to PI that the staff still have as much regular contact with the forum as they do. After the HoI3 release, I thought we would be hearing a lot less from the devs. I suppose if your work gets released to such a huge public audience, you have to be somewhat thick-skinned.

I agree. I've read some of the threads and they were quite harsh.

It wasn't that fun to read the PM's and posts of "I am going to kill you if you dont fix this now" etc.

I agree. I've read some of the threads and they were quite harsh.

Yup. Criticism is fine when justified, but to get as worked up and angry as some people did tells me they weren't the full shilling.

It wasn't that fun to read the PM's and posts of "I am going to kill you if you dont fix this now" etc.

FFS... some people are just idiots I suppose. And very brave when online.

It always helps to remember that there are a ton of people who are too busy having fun and actually playing the game too write about it on the forum. You sometimes forget this and get a bit surprised after talking to them.

:eek: I guess a downside of the growing forum is that there will be ppl among them who send those kinds of messages. But :eek:!

It always helps to remember that there are a ton of people who are too busy having fun and actually playing the game too write about it on the forum. You sometimes forget this and get a bit surprised after talking to them.

True. I'm on here more than I play, because for some idiot reason my work won't let me install games on my PC ;)

More modder access

As PI have said how they love modders would you consider opening up the inner workings of your games to modders once they are thought to be at the end of their cycle?
i.e when the time comes for you guys & gals to move to other projects.

Your games have such great potential I feel that to open them up when you can would give many of us prolonged pleasure - aaah!:)

Last edited: