• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

A Suitable Boy

Captain
18 Badges
Dec 16, 2003
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
I have problems with my artisans being constantly poor (i.e. red in the daily income pie chart). In the Wiki I read:
"Artisans require resources in order to produce goods and cannot work if they cannot afford the resources to produce goods. This can cause a problem where artisans become trapped in an endless cycle of poverty..."
But what can I do about it?
I tried setting the middle class taxes to zero for awhile - but it did not help...
I am playing as Italy and have no mods. It is now 1880 and I have plenty of industries, but I have had the problems for a long time.

I have problems with my artisans being constantly poor (i.e. red in the daily income pie chart). In the Wiki I read:
"Artisans require resources in order to produce goods and cannot work if they cannot afford the resources to produce goods. This can cause a problem where artisans become trapped in an endless cycle of poverty..."
But what can I do about it?
I tried setting the middle class taxes to zero for awhile - but it did not help...
I am playing as Italy and have no mods. It is now 1880 and I have plenty of industries, but I have had the problems for a long time.
Basically, nothing. However, they will eventually promote or demote to other pops due to their poverty. Don't quote me on this, but I think having a lot of profitable factories help them promote to Craftsmen.

Yeah it's ridiculous. It often seems like they're trying to be poor, like they're doing well for a while but then they suddenly switch to making unprofitable goods.

Yeah it's ridiculous. It often seems like they're trying to be poor, like they're doing well for a while but then they suddenly switch to making unprofitable goods.
I think it's supposed to simulate moving away from guild production to factories in the Industrialisation era.

I'm finding not allowing factory subsidies under Intervention is helping keeping more raw materials available down the line, at least in PoD/0. That and the mod nixes the random artisan switch afaik.

You should be actively seeking to starve your artisans so they can demote to craftsman and populate your factories, and not the opposite.

Artisans are doomed anyways, factories will be more productive than them with the added bonus of not randomly switching the production to unprofitable goods or goods that you dont have access to raw materials for production.