• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Engeko

Recruit
Mar 7, 2015
The main reason why recent cities from recent 3D games don't look realistic is because of the voids between the lots. The buildings just sit in the middle of the grass:

pYIFhPA.jpg
w39PCiM.jpg

Sim City 2013:
QXjN62T.jpg

I would like to suggest One of the best feature of Cities XL the "Area filler" tool:
YEFLTAF.gif

It allows us to fill closed area with plaza, modern places, grass and pathways.

With that you get to draw very customizable places that gives good results, for instance:

HpSGxGz.jpg
sM5T1GY.jpg

eNug2I0.jpg

I can see the Paradox guy on twich trying to fill those gaps with trees. So there is clearly a need for a filler, we just need something else than trees. I hope I am not the only one to think so?

Looking at the current API for mods I don't think it will be possible to add this tool from mods.

Edit: a lot of people suggest a brush tool instead of the automatic filler.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Upvote 0
This would be a great addition. For a long time I thought that this would be a certain feature of this game since it's such a genius idea. I never played Cities XL, but I remember it from MonteCristos first city-builder, City Life. It was probably the one and only feature that made that game rememberable at all.

Reactions:
That tool was one of few unique ideas that Cities XL added to the city building game formula, and I'd love to see it implemented in this game as well. I also really liked the agriculture-zoning method the game had, and I think it'll be a better alternative to the current small farm plots.

Cities XL's one good feature that I can remember! As much as I'd like this feature, I don't want CSL to just rip off CXL directly. A similar system which fits with CSL's existing mechanics would be better.

How about a brush like the District tool which we could use to paint parkland on to bits of the map which are not zoned? I suggest 2 brushes, for suburban parkland and urban plazas. I imagine this being painted "under" zones, so it would work both in areas where there are no plots and where there are unzoned plots. If you then decide to zone these plots, some of the park would be zoned over and it would adjust accordingly.

The area could be used to calculate cost, land value difference, noise pollution and similar factors, but to be honest I'd be happy if it was a purely visual thing.

Reactions:
How about a brush like the District tool which we could use to paint parkland on to bits of the map which are not zoned? I suggest 2 brushes, for suburban parkland and urban plazas. I imagine this being painted "under" zones, so it would work both in areas where there are no plots and where there are unzoned plots. If you then decide to zone these plots, some of the park would be zoned over and it would adjust accordingly.
Why not, a brush would be easier to implement i'm sure and that wouldn't be a straight rip off CXL.

This should not only be aesthetic but add to gameplay with leisure, tourism and other things as well.

It should replace standard ploppable parks imo. Parks should NOT be ploppable. Objects and props within parks like benches, fountains, playgrounds, yes they should be ploppable, but not the parks themselves. The parks should be in free-form shapes like districts using a "paint" or "fill" tool.

Reactions: