Are Trade Companies completely bugged or am I missing something?!?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BumpyGlint

Second Lieutenant
18 Badges
Jul 21, 2016
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
Hello,

I noticed something really strange about Trade Companies. This is the tooltip you see when you select a province eligible to become a Trade Company:

1.PNG

As you can easily see, It says you receive a lot of malus (-100% tax, -100% manpower ecc).

But if I make a Trade Company, I got none of this malus!!! (next screenshot is taken also after the month tick)

3.png

Why? Basically Trade Companies have no malus?? Is the tooltip bugged, is the game bugged or am I missing someting??

If it's WAI, why does somebody should not make a TC in any possible territories???

I also got a sort of "bonus question": why do my provinces get the "nearby merchant republics, trading cities or trade companies bonus" even in trade nodes with literally nobody else but me? (screenshot below) Is this another bug?

4.png

5.PNG

Thanks all!!!

I also got a sort of "bonus question": why do my provinces get the "nearby merchant republics, trading cities or trade companies bonus" even in trade nodes with literally nobody else but me? (screenshot below) Is this another bug?

That's because TC increase goods produced on the node it is located. The description, however, isn't very clear about this and, iirc, the owner of the TC doesn't benefit from it or something weird like this.

Now, to your main question, the malus should be applied. If it isn't then it's either an interaction that I'm not aware of or a bug.

It clearly not works in tooltips. Tax and Manpower aren't affected in tooltips. Can confirm that. TC also don't have any cost on tooltip and normal teritories and states have.

It increases governing cost though but this can by only because it halves diplo development autonomy.

The only reason to not make them I think is that you can't convert or you would not be able to make them states later without this 5 year period with maluses. Those do work. Other than that, we would need to test on global income calculation. Maybe it calculates there as a workaround but TBH I wouldn't bet on it.

The tooltip/popup is outdated/misleading. The -100% for tax/manpower/sailors/forcelimit is a reference to the autonomy effect. Production income is only partially affected by the autonomy. For example with the 70% autonomy from your screenshot, you get -70% to tax/manpower/sailors/forcelimit, but only -35% to the production income. I think the message partially dates from the time that trade companies had 0% minimum autonomy and directly affected these values.

You can find more details in the wiki:

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's because TC increase goods produced on the node it is located. The description, however, isn't very clear about this and, iirc, the owner of the TC doesn't benefit from it or something weird like this.

Now, to your main question, the malus should be applied. If it isn't then it's either an interaction that I'm not aware of or a bug.

Yes, but that's the problem: I should not get the bonus because the owner of the TC doesn't get it, but I get it anyway! And I get it even BEFORE to make the TC...It got no sense.

It clearly not works in tooltips. Tax and Manpower aren't affected in tooltips. Can confirm that. TC also don't have any cost on tooltip and normal teritories and states have.

It increases governing cost though but this can by only because it halves diplo development autonomy.

The only reason to not make them I think is that you can't convert or you would not be able to make them states later without this 5 year period with maluses. Those do work.

So you mean that the tooltip is bugged but it's WAI? Am I the only one with the tooltip bugged or that's common? Anyway they seem way too much strong if the governing cost is the only downside...

The tooltip/popup is outdated/misleading. The -100% for tax/manpower/sailors/forcelimit is a reference to the autonomy effect. Production income is only partially affected by the autonomy. For example with the 70% autonomy from your screenshot, you get -70% to tax/manpower/sailors/forcelimit, but only -35% to the production income. I think the message partially dates from the time that trade companies had 0% minimum autonomy and directly affected these values.

You can find more details in the wiki:

What do you mean "a reference to the autonomy effect"? You mean that at 100% autonomy they got 100% malus in national tax for example, but only 50% in local production efficency?

In cases like this I really don't get why somebody should not use TC everywhere they can!!

??

If it's WAI, why does somebody should not make a TC in any possible territories???
Gov capacities
Have you stated some provinces? As non TC provinces should benefit from the bonus

• 1Like
Reactions:
What do you mean "a reference to the autonomy effect"? You mean that at 100% autonomy they got 100% malus in national tax for example, but only 50% in local production efficency?
yes.
In cases like this I really don't get why somebody should not use TC everywhere they can!!
It costs more governing capacity than a territory and gives less benefits than a fully cored state. So you have to evaluate what is better in your situation.

• 1Like
Reactions:
TC gives you a 90 % minimum autonomy, means you get only 10 % of tax and manpower from them compared to state. That's the main drawback of TC.
In your case you apparently have 2 modifiers that reduce minimum autonomy in territories by 10 % each to 70 %, which also affects TC as they are technically territories. I assume you have the Expansion Ideas finisher and the Tier 6 Government Reform.

I general its highly beneficial to have everything that you don't state as TC, especially later in the game when you can reduce GC from TC to zero with the -50 % Town Hall.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So you mean that the tooltip is bugged but it's WAI? Am I the only one with the tooltip bugged or that's common? Anyway they seem way too much strong if the governing cost is the only downside...

Only saying my TC tooltips also are not working like yours. If it's behind scenes I don't know, but as somebody said the description is wrong what it does. The thing that's true is that something is not right with TC. Either only description or both description and the thing.

As for the downside argument:

If you are small you don't use territories. You use states or TC. But if you're big you don't want to overuse TC because of the GC. So making TC all over in useless places in terms of trade is also not too good because it will hit your GC. It gives more income to be sure but GC is more important than income when you're big. But it can help with unrest so it can have its places.

But usually yes. If you had to choose between teritories and TC, TC is always better in basic comparison within one state / province based on real game, not on the description which is not right.

Last edited:
Have you stated some provinces? As non TC provinces should benefit from the bonus
? Yes but they are not "merchant republics, trading cities or trade companies bonus". Is the tooltip wrong again?

Anyway thanks all for answering: despite I'm over governing capacity, using TC doesn't seems so bad...They feel a bit overpowered if you ask, I will try to understand them later!! Thanks all!