Are there any official plans for a Dark UI toggle?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I know that the Mod that changes the colour of neutral armies to grey is achievemnt compatible. I got an achievement with it on.
Best way to check would be with the mod on and trying to get an easy achievemnt. If it doesnt work try the same thing without the mod.
Interesting. I just downloaded and had a look at that. It is a single DDS edit, Suggesting that mods that only edit textures will not break achievements.
However, for me to make the dark UI I need to edit gui files, so we'll have to see what that does when I test it later this evening.

fairly sure that bit is impossible with how mods seem to work here?

Also, settled on a colder palette, seems to make text easier to read - for me anyway.
View attachment 701948

Some buttons and icons still look a bit dodgy here and there (like the multiplayer button above has a very dark /transparent background - and the fleet/navy screen below), need to see if there is a low-effort way to account for that.
View attachment 701950View attachment 701951
I must say this is very impressive, I can't wait to try it out whenever you get a chance to share this with all of us on the steam workshop!
Hopefully serves as an inspiration to the developers to give us a dark option without locking achievements, because this looks amazing.

Interesting. I just downloaded and had a look at that. It is a single DDS edit, Suggesting that mods that only edit textures will not break achievements.
However, for me to make the dark UI I need to edit gui files, so we'll have to see what that does when I test it later this evening.
I know that the Mod that changes the colour of neutral armies to grey is achievemnt compatible. I got an achievement with it on.
Best way to check would be with the mod on and trying to get an easy achievemnt. If it doesnt work try the same thing without the mod.
The easiest to check would be imo the one to settle a new territory as amigratory tribe. Would need to be done on an acc thaht doesnt yet have it.

Reactions:
The upside is you have to play this game with your sunglasses, so you can look 'cool' in the process.

• 4Haha
Reactions:
Made reskins
So, some things:

This does NOT enable getting achievements. I guess GUI (interface) file editing is too much for the game to tolerate.
There are 2 outstanding ... bugs that I haven't been able to solve with the UI retexture

Child names are very faint in the birth UI. Not really a huge issue unless you're renaming them all the time, I guess. I honestly haven't been able to find where this text box is referenced after like an hours worth of searching.
1617922992309.png

This specific type of button looks rather faint and appears in a shitload of places.. but It also doesn't seem to be obviously referenced anywhere (I'm sure it is, the GUI files are just a mess - there are a ton of old/Pre-2.0 interface entries and files clogging up the directories, making it a pain to find stuff)
1617923174685.png

Other than that, there are the odd slightly faint icons here and there, that you'll just have to accept if you use this. The interface seems to be written in a heavily nested way. Sometimes an image is used in one place and it uses its default colour (e.g. white or black) whilst in another area, it'll be dynamically recoloured based on seemingly random sprite sheets (for example manipulating the blue button colours drastically changes a shitload of other things in the UI - perhaps reinforcing my earlier comments about PDX getting half way towards a dynamic colouring system. Not sure why else they'd take this approach, as it just makes things harder to edit in isolation.
Screenshot (4746).png
You can see here how it looks when I tested Orange buttons - notice how, even though I only edited a single "button texture" It's also recoloured the Map Icons + random other checkboxes, various UI lines (was more obvious when I used pink), and system buttons in the top right.

Anyway, it may not be perfect, but here's the mod:

Attachments

• 1617924413130.png
    1617924413130.png
    3,9 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (4751).png
    Screenshot (4751).png
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 4Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Installed and working in Paradox Launcher. Looks very nice, except for some small details I have not seen any big problem so far.

1617978361946.png

1617978438960.png

1617978484333.png

Thank you!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Pancakelord, it's just wonderful. Thank you very much. You have saved this game for me, although it's a pity that I can't get achievements.

I hope the devs will take notice of you work.

• 2Like
Reactions: