• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They will have the majority of the game design finished by now and build the engine to support that. However, I am sure that some minor aspects aren't designed and coded yet and thus posting here may have an influence on the finished game, albeit a very small one.

Registered said:
Rambling, but fun, so who cares?

I care a great deal, which is the issue. And I know many of your names, so I know you care also. But, alas, my time is limited and my EU time even more so. I'm extremely passionate and willing to contribute to discussions if they actually matter, such as stability or historicity or religion. But, if all we're doing is rambling around and not actually contributing (not directly; certainly I know that Johan & Co pay attention, as I intimated in the opening post) for a purpose, well. . . as I said, my time is limited.

By no means do I mean lets stop posting or wondering or debating. Yet as I read some posts, it almost seemed that these were serious matters deserving our time and energy. Hey, I love posting as much as the next person and hopefully contributing to the process, but it takes on a different feel if its just our opinions and ramblings.

Maybe Johan will actually start a thread or poll asking us a serious question to gauge some real issue or thought.

I just wish I had the time to attempt to beta test. :( :( :(

Josephus I said:
I wonder if we'll keep this up for a whole year...or whether this rambling will peter off.

The rambling will become less, when a large part of the ramblers become betas and stop rambling in this forum, partly because they can do so in the beta forum, and partly because they will be afraid of violating their NDA. The non-choosen will continue rambling of course.

At this point, a large amount of the posting is rambling because none of you have a good idea of what approach Paradox is taking for the game. Johan's comments in the Gamespot interview were very vague (presumably intentionally) so any posts that are a mile away from the general design concepts are pretty much useless (well...just so far off base that it's hard to see much direct value in them). Other stuff is closer to the mark and could have some impact on the final implementations.

The current situation isn't anyone's fault. Paradox understandably wants to keep a lot of details as close to their chest as possible, so you folks don't have any choice but to guess. The huge gulf separating "public guesses" from "internal knowledge" will narrow as time goes by (more info due to be released in March. etc.) so the likelihood of posts being directly "meaningful" will increase.

All that being said, Johan definitely reads a decent amount of what you say. There are other members of the team (obvious ones like BiB and myself, as well as number of others) who are also reading, and will point Johan to interesting posts/suggestions/threads/etc. when we see them. He can't spend all day reading the forums (or he'd never get any work done) so we try to act as a partial "special interest news service" for him. We also get the opportunity to give input into design/implementation issues, so if something really catches our fancy here we might make a pretty strong pitch for it...although in most cases we probably won't be able to say that we've done so here on this forum.

Not sure if that answers your question, but hopefully you won't feel that it's an entirely futile exercise. :)

The only thing we can do and we know that Paradox needs is the historical setup off in 1453.

Johan said:
The game has a historical setting, meaning that when a game starts, you begin with the exact historical rulers, borders, and setup that a nation had at a certain moment in history.

MrT said:
All that being said, Johan definitely reads a decent amount of what you say. There are other members of the team (obvious ones like BiB and myself, as well as number of others) who are also reading, and will point Johan to interesting posts/suggestions/threads/etc. when we see them.

Just curious, we have now 4905 posts( :eek: ) in the EU3 forum. How many off them have you given to Johan? ;)

Gaute65 said:
Just curious, we have now 4905 posts( :eek: ) in the EU3 forum. How many off them have you given to Johan? ;)
More than one. :)

Thanks for a very thoughtful reply MrT. It is nice to know that we have so many positive Mods around here (at least the ones I've dealt with).

I guess I had just read a few of the threads (more than 2) :) and some people were writing as if the game depended on them, as if their words were the critical part of what Johan is doing. I thought that unlikely (as you state), but thought that, well maybe I missed something in the FAQs. Again, I have always been so impressed by how Johan has worked so many changes in from the community (I'm sure plenty from his own desires too) into the updates. Paradox is such a stellar company; I'm the professor who used the game in his Western Civ class and the company was SO HELPFUL in many ways. I was stunned and happily surprised by their eagerness. So I know it matters to them. So, I thought, who knows, maybe there's a thread I don't see where Johan has asked for everyone's opinion on these matters that have become the current thread list. Those threads sure seem to be about core matters to the game.

Since he isn't asking for that input, then I now know if I contribute, its just my .02 and mostly for the input of the community as we WONDER about things.

Thank you again.

carlec said:
I guess I had just read a few of the threads (more than 2) :) and some people were writing as if the game depended on them, as if their words were the critical part of what Johan is doing. I thought that unlikely (as you state), but thought that, well maybe I missed something in the FAQs. Again, I have always been so impressed by how Johan has worked so many changes in from the community (I'm sure plenty from his own desires too) into the updates. Paradox is such a stellar company; I'm the professor who used the game in his Western Civ class and the company was SO HELPFUL in many ways. I was stunned and happily surprised by their eagerness. So I know it matters to them. So, I thought, who knows, maybe there's a thread I don't see where Johan has asked for everyone's opinion on these matters that have become the current thread list. Those threads sure seem to be about core matters to the game.

Since he isn't asking for that input, then I now know if I contribute, its just my .02 and mostly for the input of the community as we WONDER about things.

Thank you again.

Perhaps if you applied to the beta you could have your voice heard more directly. I´m quite sure it wouldn´t be a negative thing to mention in the application that you have used EU2 in teaching ;)

To me personally this type of rambling and anticipation has allways been a part of the gaming experience. A true gamer follows the game from start to finish (where the inevitable dissapointments but also joy follows).

I see the Rambling as an integral part of the game experience :).

Waiting for the game is a double edged experience, it's hard but worth it.

bm

I think we're rambling and that Paradox is not reading our posts, but that's OK, if they had to read everithing we write we wouldn't have EUIII in a few years :rofl: