• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RUUR

Second Lieutenant
66 Badges
May 15, 2009
  • Sengoku
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Iron Cross
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
I send 6 Soviet mtn. divisions as volunteers to help Rep Spain. I saved the game since their landing in Spain and tried several areas where they could make an impact. Again and and again I stumbled against some Nat Spain divisions that would hold forever without hardly experiencing a scratch. When I turned the same number of my divisions (3, to have a full front as they have 24 frontage) against an identical Nat division led by the same Nat leader in identical terrain, the Nat division would "melt" normally!! Even more incomprehensible, and as an example of this weird behavior, I encircled a Nat division of 3 brigades. It has been encircled for several weeks (a month already?) in hill terrain and even attacked a stack 2 and, later, 3 AI Rep divisions and basically never loses cohesion or strength. I have been attacking this invincible division for 2 weeks approximately with one my mtn. divisions and the invincible Nat division has hardly noticed. Is this WAD and, if it is, could some one explain to me the logic behind this strange behavior of some divisions?

Attachments

• hoi4_3.png
    hoi4_3.png
    5,7 MB · Views: 0
  • hoi4_4.png
    hoi4_4.png
    5,6 MB · Views: 0
  • hoi4_5.png
    hoi4_5.png
    5,5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Ah!! Forgot to mention: the Nat division is not only invincible but can travel anywhere in no time , as if it has not been encircled for probably a month. The red attrition skull that should have been attached to the Nat division many days ago only appeared if the multi-mentioned division attacked. Now that the division is not attacking anymore the attrition skull appears sporadically.

There is a weather modifier in all Spanish civil war states which reduce attacks by 90% (for attackers and defenders).

The scw factions can remove this 'Unplanned Offensive' modifier with certain decisions. So look for the modifier and find the states where the modifier has been removed. The ai seems to do it as fast as they can.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There is a weather modifier in all Spanish civil war states which reduce attacks by 90% (for attackers and defenders).

The scw factions can remove this 'Unplanned Offensive' modifier with certain decisions. So look for the modifier and find the states where the modifier has been removed. The ai seems to do it as fast as they can.
THX for your reply. I am aware of this modifier but IIRC it applied for Spanish divisions. I don´t recall this kind of behavior with foreign volunteers before NSB. I can be wrong, of course, but I don´t remember this extreme behavior affecting foreign divisions anyway. I will check the weather modifier whether it is the variable that is triggering this radically different behavior in the defenders. However, how come this invincible division doesn´t loose cohesion after being encircled for weeks, how come the weather, lack of supplies, etc. is not affecting its mobility at all? It will arrive to the next province in just a couple of days (it just began its march). One question, how can I know in advance WITHOUT attacking first, that a certain province´s modifier "Unplanned Offensive" applies to the Nat or Rep side or is it just the Rep side, can´t remember.
THX again.

THX for your reply. I am aware of this modifier but IIRC it applied for Spanish divisions. I don´t recall this kind of behavior with foreign volunteers before NSB. I can be wrong, of course, but I don´t remember this extreme behavior affecting foreign divisions anyway. I will check the weather modifier whether it is the variable that is triggering this radically different behavior in the defenders. However, how come this invincible division doesn´t loose cohesion after being encircled for weeks, how come the weather, lack of supplies, etc. is not affecting its mobility at all? It will arrive to the next province in just a couple of days (it just began its march). One question, how can I know in advance WITHOUT attacking first, that a certain province´s modifier "Unplanned Offensive" applies to the Nat or Rep side or is it just the Rep side, can´t remember.
THX again.

It has always applied to everyone, Spanish divisions and volunteers alike.

You can check whether a state has the modifier or not by clicking on it and checking in the top right corner of the terrain image.

If you want to know more about how to fight with volunteers in the SCW, I recommend this video. It's mostly a Portugal guide pre-NSB, but it includes a lot of information about how to win the SCW for the Republicans with just 4 volunteers. The information you are looking for starts at the 20:08 mark

• 2Like
Reactions:
THX. Goodfontana. I am aware of the icons as I have played the SCW innumerable times as soviets, Nazis and Sp Republicans. I guess I forgot the modifier applied to every nationality so thx for reminding me. However, can you tell me why the Nat division is apparently unaffected by attrition and can move as fast as hell?

THX you both for your goodwill and replies. However, the problem that is not where your are pointing at. As far as I can tell, It has to do with: Attrition is being apparently capped at 30% even for divisions that have been completely isolated for over a month, it doesn´t matter that thy don´t receive air supplies (broken or not), weather is much more important but seems to affect only the supplied attacker, surrounded and completely isolated divisions can escape (quite often!!) at lightning speed going faster than my supplied divisions, isolated divisions having stockpiled infinite (apparently) supplies etc. I will show the first screenshots proving some of this issues and, as I don´t know how to text again after the screenshot I will post more of the with the text contextualizing the situation.

Just one thing before the screenshots. There are other problems evidenced in the SCW that were not before NSB. At least not to the same extent. Namely: Rep divisions leave their ports ASAP in many cases. Immediately. Bilbao and shortly after, Oviedo. The Rep divisions there are !00% doomed. The AI puts the Planned Offensive possibility in absolutely inaccessible places (Oviedo, where there is an absolutely isolated, doomed division). I won´t go further as I will begin a thread on the subject with screenshots.

S.shot: Same Nat div leaving as in the OP but a day later or so. Now it has 0 attrition in this isolated. It disappeared magically in the middle of the storm. Unfortunately, I didn´t point to the Nat div but I am pretty sure it was fleeing REALLY fast. Notice the Rep div to the N that are having attrition. Yes, they are in W Aragon (Nationalist) but bordering Leon (Guadalajara State) just by the railroad and not that far from Madrid.
hoi4_7.png

Adding 2 S.shots proving not only SCW is broken (depending which side you plat or...?) and proving there are absolutely invincible divisions. And OH, by the way: I checked and at least some of the first S.shots y sent DON´T had the malus weather malus modifier against me!! So, the invincibility of Nat divisions I faced had nothing to do with weather. I guess it has to do with the fact that the AI gives them what I stated before: completely isolated (even for over a month) divisions apparently have infinite supplies, can suffer basically 0 attrition, and... what I am going to show in the 2 S.shots: they can escape their isolation at lightning speed. Faster than Hamilton, F. Alonso and Verstappen combined.

1st: The Nat division that has been encircled for weeks leaves its mountainous pocket in a rather graceful and nonchalant way. And FAST!
2nd: I want to cut the Nat escape with my Mtn. div but... It will take much longer to arrive and it is leaving from hills!! Shouldn´t Mtn divs. have buffs traversing hills and mountains. I know I have the malus of Unplanned Offensive affecting my speed but... they have been encircled for weeks!! Plus... is the AI not affected by the same malus? Apparently, at least sometimes, it is not.

So again: at least in the context of wars with where there is the Unplanned Offensive malus: there can be Invincible divisions
Athe SCW stands now I don´t know if this is WAD but certainly is waco.

Attachments

• hoi4_9.png
    hoi4_9.png
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • hoi4_10.png
    hoi4_10.png
    5 MB · Views: 0
Yes, I also believe in rare cases there is a bug with immortal divisions (not just due to weather effects). Sometimes they don't suffer any attrition whatsoever even though they are clearly cut off from supply and your divisions can punish them for months on end without doing anything to them.

I also encountered that once last week during the Spanish civil war and even made a bug report about it, but wasn't able to reproduce it ever since.

And the one time I encountered it eventually got resolved after reloading the savegame... after which the divisions in question got destroyed a couple days after resuming the game.

It's weird and haven't seen it since until I saw your thread.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, I have encountered erratical behaviors as well that I cannot explain. I will post more screens soon of weird things. I began a game as Spain (Spanish Commune) but I just quitted because Spain is SOOOO broken that kills my desire to keep playing. The Focus Tree of several branches is so broken that it kills my desire to keep playing. I thought that after all these years... maybe... Anyway, The whole SCW is a charade.

I think I've encountered a similar bug where 4 provinces of the Maginot line has 50 divisions packed on it, France has capitulated, and they've been cut off for 4 years without suffering any attrition

This is a mix of British, French, and British Colonial troops, so it's not a national modifier

And I can't clear them out the normal way because of the level 10 forts

Have you posted it elsewhere? I would encourage you to do just that citing the various incidents that you have encountered. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. I almost never get an answer, comment, etc. from Paradox. Only when I was enraged by the Common Sense (I think) DLC for EU4 and Paradox told me to shut up or... else.