AoW3 Eternal Lords Crashing Randomly in Single player and Multiplyer

• Pre order now!

Paradox Development Studio brings you the sequel to one of the most popular strategy games ever made! Crusader Kings III is soon upon us and you can pre order it today!

Releasing September 1st 2020

witmanikie

Recruit
4 Badges
Mar 29, 2020
  • Majesty 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
Hello.
Just want to say I love this game. I've been playing it for years and own both expansions.
The game unfortunately crashes randomly, restarting my system. No error message. Just system restart. More crashes in multiplater. Sometimes after info on a unit, map change, opening city, battle start, after autosave.

I have checked online and most ppl say its hardware overheating. I have HW Monitor and Realtemp and my temps for my CPU is well inside normal range. My graphics card is warm enough that I can touch the heat sink so I doubt its overheating.

I have played in Debug Mode and have kept the debug log and the autosave.

Is the game support still running? Can someone look at my logs and savegames and let me know what I can do?

BeltarTheLion

Private
Mar 29, 2020
I would suggest stress test of power-supply. It's rather common reason of random hardware crashes often leading to BSOD. They can happen any time but with a game running chances can drastically increase. Another very possible reason is motherborad. But in fact it can be everything f. e. I use on one of my computers old Palit Sonic GTX 560Ti with good factory overcloking. I had to downclock it from 900 to 870 MHz because sometimes it cased videodriver crash in DX11 games (any DX9 games work without any problem) and there was no overheating.

You need staticstics. You have problems only with AoW3 or with other games/3D benchmarks too.

witmanikie

Recruit
4 Badges
Mar 29, 2020
  • Majesty 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
Hia. Thanks for feedback.
AoW3 is the only game that crashes like this.
I play Total War Warhammer2 at 60fps and most games pretty well.
What would you suggest to use for a stress test on the power supply?

I see now that I did not include my system specs.
Motherboard: ASRock 110M-DGS
Intel i5-6600 3.3 Ghz
16Gb rab
Dx12
Radeon Rx 580 8gb
Win 10 64bit

I wonder if this might be a DX 11 vs DX 12 thing

BeltarTheLion

Private
Mar 29, 2020
The most simple test is just couple of hours of some high-load game or benchmark. To see if your system OK. But if WH works I would assume that hardware should be healthy. May be stress tests like Furmark but this can be dangerous. For motherboard I think it's good to search if somebody had some problems with that model.
I played AoW3 on different cards for long time without any problem but they all were GeForce. Some error in Radeon's driver?

AoW3 is DX9 game (I really would pay for DX11 support patch since the game can't utilize benefits from modern hardware) I even played it on Windoes XP (had rare glitch with fonts but no crashes) so DX11 and DX12 should not be a problem.