• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

rwburnham

Recruit
Jun 10, 2021
One line summary of your issue
Unknown GPU error when starting game

What platform are you running the game on?
Steam

What operating system do you use?
Windows 10 version 21H1

Which version of the game are you running?

What expansions do you have installed?
Revelations, Star King

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
When starting the game, I get an error message that says "Unknown GPU was to not initialize properly. This GPU is either incompatible, removed or otherwise unable to initialize properly. AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT is now in use instead, as it was found to initialize properly." When I click OK the game loads, but all of the clickable areas do not line up properly with where I can actually click. I only have my Radeon 6700 XT installed. My CPU does not have any integrated graphics.

Have you tried verifying your files?
Yes

Steps to reproduce the issue
I exit the game, then restart, and the issue comes back each time.

Attach DxDiag (PC) or System Info log (Mac)
File(s) attached

Attach screenshot / video
File(s) attached

Attachments

• 20210609_174102.jpg
    20210609_174102.jpg
    5,4 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Never seen that one before. Has this game ever run properly for you?

Please go to .../Steam/steamapps/common/Age of Wonders Planetfall/ and run AowPF_debug.exe

Then go to C:/users/<UserName>/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Age of Wonders Planetfall/logs/ and attach here the latest game log file.

And DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

From C:/users/<UserName>/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Age of Wonders Planetfall/Config/ please attach here settings.cfg

• 1Like
Reactions:
I tried your suggested steps for uninstalling and reinstalled my Radeon software, but I still saw the same error message when I first ran the game. After seeing the error, I went into settings, switched from fullscreen to windowed and back to fullscreen and then started my game and it ran fine. So I am able to work around it and play the game, but its just on that initial startup that I see the error.

Well that's weird. As you say it seems likely to have been triggered by that Windows update, but then why don't we have other reports like this? Yet, anyway.

If you manually run the Update app does it find anything more to apply? If so do that and reboot one more time.

hey mys crashing to can i get help??
Please make your own thread, and supply there full system details and problem history, as you see above. Thanks.