• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nevyn7

Recruit
8 Badges
Dec 25, 2021
  • Lead and Gold
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
One line summary of your issue
AoW Planetfall (Steam) - Could not join session: failed

What platform are you running the game on?
Steam

What operating system do you use?
Windows 10 Home - 10.0.19043

Which version of the game are you running?
v1.404.43827

What expansions do you have installed?
Revelations, Invasions, Star King

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Two computers behind the same NAT router (Linksys EA9300) can not join the same online session. The second computer to join always fails with "Could not join session: failed" as the error message. The router has uPnP enabled and each computer, one at a time, is able to host a session with an external computer connecting as a second client. Each computer, one at a time, is able to connect to a session hosted by an external computer. When both computers are behind the same NAT router I suspect that they are trying to request via uPNP that the same external port number is forwarded to both machines which obviously is not possible. The first requestor is going to get the external port forwarded. Many online services will fall back to a using a relay in this situation, dynamic server port numbers, or offer an option for local network multiplayer to avoid issues like this. I managed to get a game started with daughter at some point a week or two ago but when we went back to continue it over the holidays we were unable to connect. Attempts at starting new game sessions had the same result.

The multiplayer FAQ about manually setting up port forwarding is useless because it makes the same assumption that there is only one computer on the local network that the external port will be forwarded to. This basic assumption is probably the issue.

Have you tried verifying your files?
Yes

Steps to reproduce the issue
1. Two computers on the same network behind the same uPnP NAT router.
2. On computer #1 go to Online Multiplayer, click Lobby, click Host Lobby, and create a game using the defaults
3. On computer #2 go to Online Multiplayer, click Lobby, find the game on the list, click Join Lobby

Computer #2's connection will fail with the message "Could not join session: failed". The same thing happens if on computer #1 I click the Invite Player button and computer #2 tries to join using the link received in Steam chat.

Attach DxDiag (PC) or System Info log (Mac)
File(s) attached

Attach screenshot / video
File(s) attached

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    95,5 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Here's what Wireshark showed me from computer #2 that failed to connect to the session:

{"Action":"StuntConfig","Config":{"Mode":2,"NATType":2,"PublicPort":14900,"PublicIP":3511830843,"LocalPort":14900,"LocalIP":1728161974}}{"Action":"StuntConnect","UserID":817653738551050690,"Handle":0,"Mode":1}{"Message":"SCS","Handle":0,"RSID":"RS_AOWPF_LIVE22562","RA":"141.138.137.226:48068","Method":{"R":2,"M":1,"RT":1,"SR":0,"ADDR_IP":20490432,"ADDR_P":14900}}

Looks like both computers are trying to use PublicPort 14900.

Last edited:
I've never played this game MP, but I see in C:/users/<UserName>/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Age of Wonders Planetfall/Config/settings.cfg is a line Network.TCPPort=14900 . You could try changing that on one machine?

I've never played this game MP, but I see in C:/users/<UserName>/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Age of Wonders Planetfall/Config/settings.cfg is a line Network.TCPPort=14900 . You could try changing that on one machine?
That worked! Thanks. I guess I was looking in all the wrong places for the config files. Still seems like something that could be either negotiated when the server noticed that another player was already connected from that IP address with the same port number or incrementing up through a small range of port numbers could be part of the standard retry logic.

Sady, I doubt there will be any more patches or updates for this game.