• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There is already a project to migrate the DH-Map for AoD vanilla Darkest-Hour-to-AoD-Map-Project Once it is finished, you easily can use DEC Map also.

Thanks. That wasn't what I was suggesting, but I do understand.

(I meant redrawing HoI2 vanilla map in DEC Map style. Not a popular idea, I know. It has been a while since Darkest-Hour-to-AoD-Map-Project was active (even links are dead) and I doubt time works to its advantage.)

Maybe a bit off topic but I find it quite interesting that you are still playing HOMM3, which was one of my favorite games for a long time. Played all the campaigns on highest difficulty and multiplayer was fun too. But it feels like ages ago. :rolleyes:

The whole fact that I still play AoD shows that I don't really care about the age of the game. What I care about is if the game's good. And HOMM3 is not only good, it's one of the best games ever made :). Of course it won't have great graphics, but who cares about graphics anyway? If I wanted to play a game with a good graphics, I`d just go outside and kick the football around ;). Anyway, it is off topic, but I occasionally play many other classics: Master of Magic, UFO (the original one), Master of Orion 1 and 2. Transport Tycoon. 7 Kingdoms. In fact I most often enjoy them more than many of the new products. But yeah, it's completely unrelated to this thread :).

In fact I most often enjoy them more than many of the new products. But yeah, it's completely unrelated to this thread :).
I'll add my small bit of OT just to say that what you wrote is not really so OT as you/we might think, Sathariel. In fact, AoD hasn't super-shiny graphics either, yet we're still playing it with passion - and who knows for how many years to come!

Since the game is being taken care of by people who share the same love we feel for it - I'm referring to Lennartos, gunman_, Balesir, Radu etc. - it IS very important IMHO to stress that the core of a game lies in its playability, not mere exterior appearance, and this is a point were AoD excels superbly.

I'll add my small bit of OT just to say that what you wrote is not really so OT as you/we might think, Sathariel. In fact, AoD hasn't super-shiny graphics either, yet we're still playing it with passion - and who knows for how many years to come!

Since the game is being taken care of by people who share the same love we feel for it - I'm referring to Lennartos, gunman_, Balesir, Radu etc. - it IS very important IMHO to stress that the core of a game lies in its playability, not mere exterior appearance, and this is a point were AoD excels superbly.

A true word, as most of the games replayability is really poor today - a trend which has its roots in the money making gaming industry which has changed rapidly in the last years. For profit it's better to deliver one game after the other than making one which can and will be played for years. Brave new world...

Yeah, ain't that a sucky situation and relates to all new products - I can't get a decent tool that would last more then a freaking year for god's sake!

The whole fact that I still play AoD shows that I don't really care about the age of the game. What I care about is if the game's good. And HOMM3 is not only good, it's one of the best games ever made :). Of course it won't have great graphics, but who cares about graphics anyway? If I wanted to play a game with a good graphics, I`d just go outside and kick the football around ;). Anyway, it is off topic, but I occasionally play many other classics: Master of Magic, UFO (the original one), Master of Orion 1 and 2. Transport Tycoon. 7 Kingdoms. In fact I most often enjoy them more than many of the new products. But yeah, it's completely unrelated to this thread :).

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (HOMM3) was the best ever IMHO. I still play a modified Battle of Glory map now and then networked with 3 people. The AI in it was great! I have noticed that it crashes on Windows 7 a whole lot so I keep a couple of XP computers around that run it just fine. I don't believe that the designers knew what they had with that one. Every following version had really bad AI. This was a game first released in 1997!

I'm shocked I never noticed this thread before, what does DEC mod do differently from mine? It looks like your already done what I'm trying to do :D Downloading now, if I wanted to have your mod use the vanilla AoD values (for planes, etc) just copy and paste them in?

Some thoughts:

-Entirely Royal Navy got stuck in the Baltic after Denmark was annexed, had to manually move them.
-Japan seems unable to advance into China, do they succeed on your play throughs? Part of the problem might be a lack of Japanese forces built up on the mainland.
-German AI was distinctly slow in annexing Poland. They didn't seem to be as aggressive they could be.

e2: German AI is also incapable of taking out France or otherwise putting up a challenge at all.

Last edited:
@Sid

I guess some of the ai problems for japan come with my terrain penalties which are very high in mountains, therefore japan has a hard standing in china, which is more or less full of mountains. Generally I started my mod always playing on axis side myself, therefore germany's ai is not much tested by myself. My goal always was to give a player a challenge playing axis, which resulted in stronger allies. Game balancing always is a challenge itself because ot the many factors that can be changed. I you want to be near the vanilla AOD Game, then use the original misc.txt, modifiers.csv and difficulty.csv.

My last creation was DEC Map, which can be used here with my MOD or in DH, AI Balancing hasn't be done by me for maybe one year? As many many players have moved on to DH, Feedback here in AoD is getting rare. That's why I have stopped DEC at version 1.3. For myself I'm still developing new versions, at the moment I'm integrating a new interface. But what's true -> My MOD is getting farer away from the vanilla game.

Interace.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Right, out of curiosity do you change how logistics is handled? I see SOV having the transsiberian working fine with decent ESE without having overpowered amounts of it.

But I can't seem to get it to reflect this in the normal AoD game.

Right, out of curiosity do you change how logistics is handled? I see SOV having the transsiberian working fine with decent ESE without having overpowered amounts of it.

But I can't seem to get it to reflect this in the normal AoD game.

I did many changes and rebalancing for SOV because IMHO it was very weak in vanilla AOD. But I didn't change the game mechanics itself.

Eh, SOV when I play it I do alright. But how did you fiddle with its supply system?

I presume you won't mind if I borrow you graphics pack?

I guess it's the higher infrastructure values that came over from DH (did only partly reduce it), which enables the better ESE.

Take whatever you need from my MOD, I also integrated the work of other people.

I made the Infra 100 from Moscow to Vladivostok but the ESE dips to under 50% for the last leg of the journey :(

Is this still under development? It's pretty great except I keep getting crashes, will it be updated to 1.08 eventually? It might be more stable for me then

Is this still being worked on?
I hope it is, I wish I'd properly noticed this mod earlier. I've been hoping and dreaming of a mod that brings the best of DH to, IMO, the better game that is AoD!