• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have been considering playing another campaign in CK1. Has anyone else been tempted to dust this baby off?

I played two or three campaigns (not til the end though) slightly modded (Marriage 'patch' mod and sound, experimented with the republic 'patch' mod) this year.
Was fun. Still several big and small mods in my CK1 stuff folder which i never tested. :(
Want to do a DVIP and a TASS/BeforeTheConquest mod run this year, but likely end of the year, as i currently play CK2 again.

Yes. I am still playing this game which kick asses and I am going to stream vanilla with the latest patch pretty soon (probably at this weekend). I am sure that it will be awesome.
By the way can somebody give me a link to the latest beta patch? It seems that my PC at work is not having tha latest one because at normal difficulty I noticed a bug that it doesn't allow my character to be lower than zero treasury. Definitely it is a glitch of some sort and as far as I remember it was fixed in the latest beta.

Yes. I am still playing this game which kick asses and I am going to stream vanilla with the latest patch pretty soon (probably at this weekend). I am sure that it will be awesome.
By the way can somebody give me a link to the latest beta patch? It seems that my PC at work is not having tha latest one because at normal difficulty I noticed a bug that it doesn't allow my character to be lower than zero treasury. Definitely it is a glitch of some sort and as far as I remember it was fixed in the latest beta.
This one?

Yea. I found it myself but thank you so much anyway. I am going to stream Crusader Kings: Complete Edition on Youtube and my nickname is Torrvic. Sorry for this little advertisement but I really want to attract some serious attention to the very first game and I believe that it is definitely having some advantages over the second one. For instance, it is not so complicated but very deep anyway and having a great learning curve. Also it doesn't have this weird and cryptic stuff like some cults or stupid Azctec invasion (who got the idea of this ahistorical ridiculous stuff in Paradox?). Don't get me wrong. The second part is great on it's own but the first one having it's own charm.

I am honestly trying to find all the posts that are now gone as I get into this older game after a recommendation and CK2 got so much bloat.

No threads are gone.
See bottom and click "Thread Display Options", then to the right on "Set", the page with all threads should appear.
Has to be done repeatedly , sadly. The only thing left to check is if "Threads with last post from" is set to "Forever".

Still not changed to consumer friendliness since the stupid introduction of this, but i gave up hope that they ever will.
The old forum was better apart from speed. There i said it.

I am honestly trying to find all the posts that are now gone as I get into this older game after a recommendation and CK2 got so much bloat.
If you're having trouble seeing threads, make sure to check the thread display options at the bottom of a forum, open it, make sure you set it to "since: forever" and then hit okay to apply.

Lol: What a weird ninja-ing.

Lol: What a weird ninja-ing.

...:D

As a bonus i added my usual grumpiness, but i think after what, three years or so some little grumpiness on this is justified. :cool:
I know you are not to blame. ;) Just thought i had to mention it...:rolleyes:

PS: The smiley-invasion in my post can only be explained by a lack of coffee so far today, which i intend to change.
Cheers

Last edited:
I have been considering playing another campaign in CK1. Has anyone else been tempted to dust this baby off?
I play CK still from time to time. Because for me it's one of the best games ever made. I even like the old school feel it has. (Currently trying to help counts of Somerset.)

It's been a couple of months (well, maybe 3-4) since the last time, but I still fire it up occasionally. Some old games never die, they just get a bit more obscure.

I know it necro but I tried good old CK1 again and atmosphere is just unbeatable. There is something about Europa Engine that just cannot be beaten. Modern titles are probably better sure, but I can't stop coming back to this and FtG.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I know it necro but I tried good old CK1 again and atmosphere is just unbeatable. There is something about Europa Engine that just cannot be beaten. Modern titles are probably better sure, but I can't stop coming back to this and FtG.

Check out this recent retrospective review of CK1:

I am visiting my parents over the holidays and I didn't bring my best computer with me and can't really run CK2 all that well. I thus took a stroll down memory lane and started a Welsh campaign in CK1. This game holds up to a certain degree and is still a little addictive and fun.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am visiting my parents over the holidays and I didn't bring my best computer with me and can't really run CK2 all that well. I thus took a stroll down memory lane and started a Welsh campaign in CK1. This game holds up to a certain degree and is still a little addictive and fun.
Nice. CK was so revolutionary when first released. I loved building a dynasty.

Nice. CK was so revolutionary when first released. I loved building a dynasty.
I can imagine! I picked it up later, when they were showing Season 1 of Game of Thrones. This game held up very well at that time and scratched the GoT itch (and I didn't even know about the GoT mod). A little less than a year later Ck2 was released.

Fired up another campaign in this venerable dinosaur, and it went badly:

Heir takes ill
Ruler's wife leaves
Heir dies
Ruler stressed
Ruler dies
Game over, about 3 years into the campaign. Nothing I could do to change it.

Started again, and after about 2 years there was only ONE unmarried female prospective bride between the ages of 16 and 25 in practically all of Europe, and that one had a HIGHEST skill of 4, with a personality that would pretty much insure a breakup. I checked every single province in Germany, Italy, Poland, Hungary, and half of France and England, and that's all I could come up with. Two or three years later, loads of children came of age, and the problem ended. Meanwhile, my ruler and several family members were unmarried, and I couldn't acquire additional courtiers through marriage as usual. That left me with 2 cabinet vacancies I couldn't fill, and no way to move the existing ones to where they were more desperately needed, since you can't remove an advisor from a post except by replacing them with another person. It's pretty bad when you don't even have a Steward for most of the first 5 years.

Pure randomness sucks at times, and the degree of randomness was a bit overboard in this game.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Recently I did a game as Castile, which quickly turned into the reconquista as my allies in Aragon declared war on some of the Muslim emirs. Soon almost all monarchs in Iberia were involved in some war with another, I was making good progress in The war while dealing with some dukes in the north that were unwilling to join my war effort. Perhaps not the best play, but I wanted the all-out war to keep up. Eventually I had a CTD and haven’t resumed it yet. My war machine was running out of steam already though, I hadn’t managed affairs too well because I didn’t intend to make it a long game, and Aragon was started to crumble.

I’d like to play a new campaign with less war at the start soon I had forgotten how fun this game can be, even if some mechanics are frustratingly gamey and random. It has a lot of charm, while not on the same level as EU2 in my mind it still has appealing art style and a great soundtrack, especially the menu theme.

• 1Like
Reactions: