Anyone else feel like we should have "Starbase Templates", which include Components, Modules, and potentially Buildings?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

-Marauder-

Field Marshal
24 Badges
May 1, 2016
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Magicka
As well as an easier way to rebuild defense platforms. A bit like how we can reinforce fleets, where the system simply remembers how many and which platforms were used prior, so we can just click a button to let it rebuild them all.

Looking at Starbases, having the auto designer meddle with them feels quite bad. As does having to manually upgrade and requeue things for each stage. I really wish there was a way to just queue it all up, potentially via a saved template. Virtually all my anchorages, all my defense stations, shipyards, etc end up as carbon copies of one another anyway. So having to click 5+ of them. Upgrade each one, queue the buildings, then upgrade again, rinse and repeat becomes incredibly tiresome.

Same for constantly rebuilding defense platforms, having a way to reinforce assigned defense platforms the way we can reinforce fleets, or simply having them "deactivated/automatically rebuild" the way the Enigmatic Fortress does would be nice. Not like static defenses are all that good anyway, nor can they threaten anyone by themselves.

• 15Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
After the last game, this thought also swirled in my head. How boring it is to click all this while making the same buildings. But this is all nonsense when it comes to security platforms. You're either spamming one thing for productivity reasons, or you're counting every click on every platform in every starbase... And this hell of micromanagement repeats every time you visit guests on your system :(

Starbase template feature - should be implemented in the past :)

Yeah, and ship templates, and fleet templates, and army templates, and planet templates ...

Game needs a bunch of templatization.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah, and ship templates, and fleet templates, and army templates, and planet templates ...

Game needs a bunch of templatization.
Not the first time I notice this "joke" on the forum. That's just a question. Who is to blame for the lack of optimization (both performance and gameplay)? The developer made a lot of gameplay features (some of which were simply not completed to their logical end), and the player simply uses them. But what's the fun in manually picking 20 planets, and then 20 starbases, and then leading 20 fleets, and then moving 20 armies? And then you press pause, wait a couple of minutes and repeat the process all over again. I have no doubt that some people even like it :)

But seriously, if a developer adds some feature, then it is reasonable to ask him for a tool to interact with it. Although it fits perfectly in the early game, I'm not a fan of micromanagement in the mid and late game. It just becomes incredibly boring and you want to quickly (as in our case) resolve the issue of star bases and return to war or the development of new systems / planets.

Can you describe in more detail why you are not satisfied with the possibility of implementing this function? What confuses you, angers you, upsets you or something else?

edit: Sorry if you didn't use sarcasm in your post and were serious. Then I completely agree with you :)

We really need a build all button for defense platforms at the very least. Probably should give them a fleet template, since there is some merit in having some different defense platforms.

As for starbases. They really should have those factoring in a system. If the system is one that will forever keep shields down, I'd rather my starbase not waste slots on something that will provide it zero benefit. Like I can get why they might not want people being able to micro design starbases, but with certain systems having constant space weather, it really should have some templates that drop components that will be useless.

Heck, with the zroni storm caster, that should prompt your starbase to drop it's shield components and switch to stuff that will be more useful than a now useless shield component because of space weather.

Reactions:
Interestingly enough something like that should be doable with a mod these days.

One could create a starbase building that acts as a "template", then have it use its on_finished effect to clear all modules and buildings, and replace them with the modules/buildings you want. The necessary tools should all be there since 3.6 if I'm not missing any problems.

You could even have it upgrade the starbase for you so going from outpost to max it would be as easy as upgrading once and then constructing the template building.

I think we should take a step back and ask why and what we need here.
Before Orbital Rings, Defensive Platforms where a strange middle ground solution to buff and customize your defensive military(star bases) without the ability to designe them directly.
Now we have the issue when you want to focus on this it takes far too much micro for the results we get. I like that i can customize my strong points but i dislike that i need to go four menus deep to do so.

So i think we could discuss if we should even consider to abandon the platforms all together.
  • Make star bases design able and save the templates same as platforms.
  • The star base modules that add weapons now just add the slots instead of weapons. So if you want a military star base you add generic "Weapon Banks".
  • Always let us design based on a maxed out star base and mark the slots on which upgrade level/amount of weapon banks they unlock like "I","II", "III", "IV","V","VI" etc..
  • Changing the template always triggers a refit.
  • Remove the platform tab and add a drop down to select the star base template that should be used.
  • Change some buildings and modifiers around to impact the star base directly instead of platforms.
  • Overall buff star bases to be more resilient for the lack of damage distribution that comes from the additional platforms.
  • Orbital rings could get an own template that works the same or they could inherent the first 4 weapon banks from the star base design.
Managing your defenses becomes a much quicker affair in the long run now. You start by making your star base designs. You upgrade star bases. Select a template and then proceed to add weapon banks and be done with it. If your star base gets attacked its fine, no need to rebuild 100 platforms. it all manages itself now.

For nostalgic reasons there could be a new weapon module that could spawn defense platforms with weaker versions of your weapon but give the star base more target saturation.

• 1Like
Reactions:
edit: Sorry if you didn't use sarcasm in your post and were serious. Then I completely agree with you :)

I am serious. The game could be so much better if Id didn't need to click to re-create the same combinations over and over and over again.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hard agree. As someone who plays a LOT of psionics, there's nothing I hate more than getting psicomputers or shields and observing as my starbases refuse to use the MASSIVE upgrade I just got...

Reactions: