• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MishaTX

Colonel
66 Badges
Dec 21, 2014
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Rome Gold
I'm asking because I just "discovered" it and I'm loving every bit of it, but all the threads, and I've read about 45 pages worth of them to learn about the game, are about 6 years old on average. Except for the two or three at the top wishing for Rome 2 (count me in, by the way!).

I've played just about every other Paradox title but for some reason or another, this hidden gem managed to elude me. It's my favorite period of history and there aren't really all that many (as in "any at all") alternatives covering grand strategy in this era that truly catch the "feel" of it in my opinion.

I enjoy playing the Total War Romes, both of them, because I love the battles, but neither really hit the sweet spot when it comes to historicity, to say the least (seriously? Fighting the Etruscan Wars in 272 BC? Are you KIDDING ME???), and there are any number of wargames that do individual campaigns and battles very well indeed, it's just that I can't really find any that really make you feel like you're "building Rome" like this one does. Except for the pretty much ancient "Annals of Rome", which is the only game about this period I can think of that let you play from the early days of the Republic all the way to the Fall. I loved that game. Unfortunately, no heir to it has appeared. All of the ones that came out since that one either deal with the early days up until the Empire (and then they end whether you like it or not) or the period around the Fall.

I'd like to just once be able to play a game about Rome that covered all of it. From the struggling early days of the founding until the end centuries later. Starting out as a fledgling nation, becoming big and strong, then trying to stave off defeat (or even preventing it) towards the end.

I don't have a particular interest in games where you're always the underdog or always the baddest mofo on the block. I prefer games where you go through both phases.

Try playing it with mods! My favourite is 'Reign of the Ancients' although I must admit it is a few years since last time I played Rome.
There is also a 'Roman Empire mod' being developed for Victoria II.

Reactions:
I tried to play it again, but it crashes instantly :(

Try playing it with mods! My favourite is 'Reign of the Ancients' although I must admit it is a few years since last time I played Rome.
There is also a 'Roman Empire mod' being developed for Victoria II.

Where is this mod for Vicky II? I can't find it.

Hi another TW player here of Rome 1 and 2. I play EU Rome now and again. I got it when patch 8 of TW Rome 2 broke the mods I was using. Haven't used any mods on EU Rome yet. For historicity in TW games mods are a must

once in a while i play EU:R. It was my first paradox game and i love it, but after playing ck2 and eu4, it feels outdated

Reactions:
It is an older game, but it finds its way into my rotation. I own Rome total war 1& 2. However this game is by far my favorite. Currently though i am cracked out victoria 2, the greatest game in the paradox line up.

I would love to see vic 3, and then a new rome game based game off of that. the population building and national expansion represented in Victoria series would make an insanely fun Rome game.

Perhaps some of the Vicky mechanics would be cool in Rome 2, but I feel they are very modern in a way, so might be hard to make it feel like a classic era thing.
I think the Crusader Kings 2 mechanics would do better. I sometimes suspect that the old dynamic character system from Rome, might have inspired them to make that more refined in Crusader Kings 2?

I agree the character system in CK2 is really cool. maybe it is just me but the population system in Vick 2, feels like what is missing from rome. with the classes of of people bureaucrats, artisans, slaves, soldiers, officers etc... would add an interesting level to the game. after thinking about it i think that the character system from ck2 is needed and the pop system from Vicky 2.

Rome certainly had a lot of intrigue and characters.. but at the end of the day it was an empire and the economy was fueled by conquest and assimilation.

Reactions:
Certainly, using both concepts from Vicky2 and CK2 would be very cool indeed. If they had chosen that, if they even started to make a New Rome game for us fans, then it would be really cool.

(unfair paradox! why do we have to wait so long for this, while they develop 100 expansions for every other game?)

Also some concepts from EU4 are cool as well. Such as fortresses. Rome should have fortresses, that need sieges to get past. Not them huge ones like EU4 era. But the classic era featured a lot of sieges. Often they had to break sieges because of Counter sieges, and stalemates occured where they then signed treaties. Like in the first punic war.

Reactions:
I own EU4, but i have yet to get into the game. i will have to take your word for it on the siege mechanics. however it sounds really good to me.

Well there we go, paradox please take the character system from ck2, the population system from Vic2, and the fortress/siege mechanics from EU4, and copy and paste us a Rome 2 game.

haha

EU 4 forts are stupid as hell. While the game could have a better siege mechanic, copying EU 4s would be a poor idea. Much like copying anything else from EU 4.

Reactions: