Any updates on devs working on IR again

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Or thay can't find people qualified enough that would augment the teams well. Kind of a strange conclusion take from that without any other context.

the thing is that there is other context available. There are many infamous glassdoor exit interviews which paint the company as a bad place to work. Not to mention the recent drama with nearly half of employees (and more than 2/3 of female employees) reporting hostile or abusive behavior.
And let's remember that PDX recently fired practically all QA, so there was no one to test new DLCs and they came out in a state like Leviathan or Emperor with a huge number of bugs and broken mechanics.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And let's remember that PDX recently fired practically all QA, so there was no one to test new DLCs and they came out in a state like Leviathan or Emperor with a huge number of bugs and broken mechanics.

yep, been terribly managed. I think they've had some changes at the top recently, but then they still want almost £25 to add some 3d room to CK3 :rolleyes:

• 3Haha
Reactions:
yep, been terribly managed. I think they've had some changes at the top recently, but then they still want almost £25 to add some 3d room to CK3 :rolleyes:
You’ve got to keep the majority of your fan base happy by doing what pleases them, sometimes this leads to less risky developments.

I would judge more favorable a company performance if they try, fail and try again, than another company that gets consecutive successes by being mediocre.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The almost total lack of flexible remote positions available certainly isn't helping. They'd probably be flooded with candidates if that changed.

If there is "drama", whatever that means, fewer onsite office staff may reduce that too.

Reactions:
Sad to see nothing is happening. Paradox really ffed those of us who bought the game and its expansions. Ever since EU Rome I've been hoping they would return to the period... now I wish they'd just go bankrupt so the playerbase can throw its weight behind a new developer. Yeah, I'm not bitter at all.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Sad to see nothing is happening. Paradox really ffed those of us who bought the game and its expansions. Ever since EU Rome I've been hoping they would return to the period... now I wish they'd just go bankrupt so the playerbase can throw its weight behind a new developer. Yeah, I'm not bitter at all.
I hope that Knights of Honour 2 will be very good, because now PDX is monopolist and that's why they don't give a damn about players.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Be careful what you wish for, as it might come true.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The almost total lack of flexible remote positions available certainly isn't helping. They'd probably be flooded with candidates if that changed.

If there is "drama", whatever that means, fewer onsite office staff may reduce that too.

After the outbreak of Covid remote positions certainly are becoming more of a thing.
However I think there are still severe limitations (tax, legal, etc) to working from one EU country for another. I am not even considering the possibility to take employees outside the EU, I suppose that that would be even more difficult.
I do agree that the pool of possible recrutes is probably very small in Sweden. Maybe this is even the reason of setting up Tinto in Spain.

Reactions:
After the outbreak of Covid remote positions certainly are becoming more of a thing.
However I think there are still severe limitations (tax, legal, etc) to working from one EU country for another. I am not even considering the possibility to take employees outside the EU, I suppose that that would be even more difficult.
I do agree that the pool of possible recrutes is probably very small in Sweden. Maybe this is even the reason of setting up Tinto in Spain.
As a tax accountant for an international firm, you actually increase your liability quite a bit by being remote in different countries. So overhead expense increases since you're going to open yourself to additional income tax in places you normally wouldn't. However not being remote is a pretty big disadvantage with tech companies in particular. Hopeful they pull it together, makes me sad PDX went from one of my favorite studios to no longer playing/purchasing their games frequently. Imperator in particular I think was on the right direction and I really, really wanted to see this IP pop off. Hopeful they bring development back and don't axe it. It really is imo the best GSG in the time period.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Patiently waiting for the Imperator: Rome: Princeps expansion, with expanded flavor for every region, culture and government type, new dynamics for empires that make them more challenging to keep united over time, with lots of new immersive character events and interactions, more diplomatic options, and an expanded timeline coinciding with the historical Principate. Oh and fixes for every known bug.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Patiently waiting for the Imperator: Rome: Princeps expansion, with expanded flavor for every region, culture and government type, new dynamics for empires that make them more challenging to keep united over time, with lots of new immersive character events and interactions, more diplomatic options, and an expanded timeline coinciding with the historical Principate. Oh and fixes for every known bug.

Joking?

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Considering that the devs being moved onto other projects was the main reason for the pause of development of I:R despite the success of 2.0 and with the upcoming projects being cancelled now in favor of development of the current games I think that it is only fair that I:R gets new devs and is further developed. I:R has a lot of potential which is being wasted because of the game being sacrificed for a strategy/policy that in the end didn't work out. I:R should be the poster child of the new direction Paradox wants to move towards.

• 5Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
I:R should be the poster child of the new direction Paradox wants to move towards.
Certainly if they applied I:R's DLC model across the board, they'd encounter a lot less hostility and accusations of greed.

Keeping major mechanics a part of free updates, and limiting DLC to covering missions/flavour/visuals/etc. isn't just good for consumers, but also stops them working their own way into development headaches because of an artificial need for mechanics to function in isolation of each other, as per EU4's plethora of DLC. The fact this doesn't work is more than evident in how many mechanics have been outright moved out of DLC, or shared across multilple different expansions.

(That said, any complaints about "greed" should be solely directed towards management/corporate; too many people have no clue how gamedev works and blame random devs for monetisation policies that they have no say in, and are likely just as unhappy with as the rest of us.)

Reactions:
Let us wish for Christmas tidings. :)

• 2Like
Reactions: