• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jordy_McCroquette

Second Lieutenant
62 Badges
Apr 4, 2019
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Island Bound
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Darkest Hour
I have a shit computer, and I'd really like to play around the slavery and free cities (Mainly Volantis in my case) mechanics without having my computer die on me by having to run both continents.

If you look at the internals of the westeros-only submod, you'll notice it's kind of a simple (if somewhat lengthy and tedious) hack. The primary bit is replacing title/character histories with nothing and converting provinces to terra incognita. I'm not sure there's enough interest in essos-only play that any of the current mod team will get around to it, but it's totally within reach of a first-time modder if you wanted to give it a try. If you do and it whets your appetite for more, you could even implement the iron throne as an off-map power.

If you look at the internals of the westeros-only submod, you'll notice it's kind of a simple (if somewhat lengthy and tedious) hack. The primary bit is replacing title/character histories with nothing and converting provinces to terra incognita. I'm not sure there's enough interest in essos-only play that any of the current mod team will get around to it, but it's totally within reach of a first-time modder if you wanted to give it a try. If you do and it whets your appetite for more, you could even implement the iron throne as an off-map power.
Thanks for explaining the basics of it; I'll try doing it myself!

Westeros Only improves performance for some machines because it removes all the complicated systems and scripts that are part of Essos. If performance improvement is the goal, an Essos Only mod would not make any real difference.

Westeros Only improves performance for some machines because it removes all the complicated systems and scripts that are part of Essos. If performance improvement is the goal, an Essos Only mod would not make any real difference.
:eek: That's shocking to me, just by province count I would have assumed an Essos-only mod would fly, but I gotta assume you know more about the internals of your own mod than I do.

:eek: That's shocking to me, just by province count I would have assumed an Essos-only mod would fly, but I gotta assume you know more about the internals of your own mod than I do.

Province count has nothing to do with performance issues. For some context, AGOT has over 800 less provinces than vanilla, at any given time there are far more characters, titles and courts operating in a vanilla game than in a game of AGOT.

Performance issues (and also MP de-syncs) come from the game engine running complicated event driven scripts and systems.
- A merchant republic holding an election for instance involves the game tagging and tracking several possible candidates and factors relating to them before settling a winner. There are like 4 or 5 merchant republics on the vanilla map, there are 17 in AGOT.
- The slavery system involves tagging, tracking and spawning a huge amount of characters, slaves, slave owners, former slaves, liberators, etc, all of them being tracked by the game engine and maintenance events running regularly in the background to clean things up.
- The ruin and colonization system likewise includes many maintenance events that run regularly in the background in order to make things go smoothly.

All of things are for the most part in Essos which is why removing Essos can help with performance issues and stable(ish) MP. Compared to that, Westeros is a small entirely feudal kingdom, which is the easiest thing the game engine can run. If you have performance problems running both continents, simply removing Westeros will not really solve the problem.