• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(61489)

The Stoker
Oct 5, 2006
Is there a way (editing save files or otherwise) to be able to take control of any nation as opposed to only the ones you may pick at the begining of the game?

Yes.

:p

-

The simplest way is just editing the scenario files, replacing one of the TAGs listed at the beginning of the file with the one you want to play.

Editing savegame is possible, but is harder since you have to change information in the middle of the file as well, it is usually easier to edit the scenario to start as the country you want to play and then from within the game load the savegame where you want to swap nation - if the nation you play in game one is still alive in game two you will start as it instead of as the nation you played when you saved the game.

Okay.. I have The Grand Campaign open infront of me, what do I change so as to allow me to play as ... say Denmark. Also, could you tell me where I could find all the different values needed for all the other countries for further reference?

acci_dent said:
Okay.. I have The Grand Campaign open infront of me, what do I change so as to allow me to play as ... say Denmark. Also, could you tell me where I could find all the different values needed for all the other countries for further reference?
Let's see if I can remember this right: pick any of the seven playable countries to replace with your Denmark. Frex, France. Find France in the scenario file, and replace "FRA" with "DEN". Now, replace the number of citites owned by France ("numcities" or some such) (20-something?) with the number owned by Denmark (8?); now do the same with the number of colonies (0 > 3?). Finally, alter the amount of gold, if you wish.

All done; now Denmark will be a major power in the GC instead of France.

-Pat

Actually the only thing you need to change is FRA to DEN (or DAN, can't remember ;))

Everything else is unimportant and won't affect your game once you play.

The TAGs (the three-letter designations for countries) are listed in one of the game files, but they are also all listed in the last post in this thread -> http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86596

If things are still being unclear, keep asking and you shall keep getting answers ;)

Or if you don't want to visit the link:
ENG;England;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
FRA;France;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
HAB;Austria;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
HOL;Netherlands;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
POR;Portugal;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
PRU;Prussia;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
RUS;Russia;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
SPA;Spain;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
SWE;Sweden;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
TUR;Turkey;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
VEN;Venice;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
ADE;Aden;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
ALD;Algiers;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
ARA;The Hedjaz;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
ARG;Aragon;;;;;;;;;;
AST;Astrakhan;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
AZT;Aztec Empire;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
BAD;Baden;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
BAN;Bantus;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
BAY;Bavaria;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
BOH;Bohemia;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
BRA;Brandenburg;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
BRI;Brittany;;;;;;;;;;
BUR;Burgundy;;;;;;;;;;
CAT;Catalunya;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
CHI;China;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
COR;Corsica;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
CRI;Crimea;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
CYR;Cyrenaica;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
DAN;Denmark;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
EIR;Eire;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
FPR;Huguenots;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
GEN;Genoa;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
GEO;Georgia;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
GRA;Granada;;;;;;;;;;
HAN;Hannover;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
HEI;Holy Roman Empire;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
HEL;Helvetia;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
HES;Hessen;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
HSA;Hanseatic League;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
HUN;Hungary;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
HYD;Hyderabad;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
INC;Inca Empire;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
IRA;Iraq;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
ITA;Italy;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
KAL;Union of Kalmar;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
KUR;Courland;;;;;;;;;;
KAZ;Kazan;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
KLE;Kleves;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
KNI;The Knights;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
KOL;Cologne;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
LAT;Teutonic Order;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
LOR;Lorraine;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
MAH;Mahrattis;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
MAM;Mameluks;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
MER;Mercenaries;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
MLO;Milan;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
MOG;Mughal Empire;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
MOL;Moldovia;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
MOR;Morocco;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
MYS;Mysore;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
NAP;Naples;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
NAT;Natives;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
NAV;Navarra;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
NIP;Nippon;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
NOR;Norway;;;;;;;;;;
OHI;Iroqouis;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
OMA;Oman;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
PAP;Papal States;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
PAR;Parma;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
PER;Persia;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
PFA;The Palatinat;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
PIR;Pirates;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
POL;Poland-Lithuania;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
PRO;Provence;;;;;;;;;;
PSK;Pskov;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
ROY;Royalists;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
SAC;Saxony;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
SAR;Sardinia;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
SAV;Savoy;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
SCO;Scotland;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
SHL;Holstein;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
SIB;Sibir;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
SIC;Sicily;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
STE;Golden Horde;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
SUD;Nubia;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
THU;Thuringen;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
TOS;Tuscany;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
TRI;Tripoli;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
TUN;Tunisia;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
UKR;Ukraine;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
USA;United States;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
WAL;Wallachia;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
WUR;Wurtemberg;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
MUS;Moslem Nations;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
REB;Rebel Scum;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X

Rebel Scum and pirates? If I be them do I just wait around untill I get some units (whether it be by revolts or spotted pirates) and hope I manage to capture a province? And what do mercenaries do? I've never seen or heard of them in EU. Lastly, BB, what do the X's and ;'s after the countries mean?

Mercenaries weren't added until EU2 - Rebels and Pirates are as you said, but playing as them is very fraught with possible CTDs (Crashes to Desktop) because they are not "real" nations.

The ";X" just means sloppy editing on his part when he copied it from the ingame file - you can safely ignore those.

It's also not recommended to try playing as a nation that doesn't exist in the given scenario (ex. USA in the 1492 scenario).

Well noted Bob. Playing as the pirates doesn't crash to the desktop, but will close unexpectadly for no given reason if you exit the game you are currently playing. Staying with that thought, is there anyway to force a pirate sighting/rebellion?

Nope, with cheats I can turn revolts off, or force a revolt in one of MY colonies or cities only. I guess I'll just have to go 1 min/5 years and wait around for a while.

I was more thinging about using the cheat "event 1" to force a revolt in one province.. And then you could cycle through all the events and see which others seem interesting. Bumping the revolt risk a little would help as well ;)

Event 1 only cause a revolt in a province that you own, otherwise it wouldn't be an event because revolts in other countries arn't announced to you.

Ah - you wanted it to happen to someone else..

Hmm.. I don't remember if it was implemented already in EU1, but it should work to write event 1 SWE to make Sweden get a revolt in one of their provinces, or event 1 FRA if you want the Frenchies to get a bit revolting ;)

Am trying that... now!

EDIT:Nope, no luck, although I have figured out one thing, pirates will never be sighted if you are playing as pirates... In a normal game, pirates are sighted fairly regularly, but when I played as pirates, I set the speed to 1 min for 2 years, and waited for about 10 years with no pirate sighting and no pirates for me to control.

Last edited: