• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

emeraldemon

Recruit
1 Badges
Nov 10, 2021
  • Crusader Kings III
Hello, where should I start if no mods at all work for me? I'm on linux, launching through steam, and the base game is fine, but adding any mod makes CK3 fail to start and pop up a crash reporter. How should I debug this?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hard to say really, it's not a known issue with the game on any OS.

This is literally any mod whatsoever, such new music or flags for instance? Or only large ones?

Have you confirmed they are updated to work with the current game patch ?

Has it always been like this for you, or only since when?

What launcher version do you see? Current is 2021.9

It seems to be any mod, I tried two music mods and they crashed (I'm not allowed to link). Is there an "empty" or "do nothing" mod I could test?

I think it's crashing for up-to-date mods, e.g. Community Flavor Pack says 1.4.4 and it fails for me. I couldn't actually find a music or flag mod that said 1.4.4, is there a way to search by version?

I tried the community flavor pack a few patches back and it did work, that was maybe six months or a year ago? I don't use mods very often, I thought I'd try them out.

Launcher version is 2021.9.

Where does the launcher put its error logs?

Is there an "empty" or "do nothing" mod I could test?
I have no idea, sorry, I don't use mods - maybe try the User Mods forum on that? Same with the version search question.

Where does the launcher put its error logs?
Launcher error logs are here:
  • $XDG_DATA_HOME/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/logs/ (if $XDG_DATA_HOME is set)
  • ~/.local/share/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/logs/ (if $XDG_DATA_HOME is not set)

But they will not record anything to do with the game crashing, as the launcher exits when the game starts. The game logs should be here:
/home/user/.paradoxinteractive/Crusader Kings III/

Having the same issue. Any up to date mod enabled causes a crash on launch. Also Linux.
What distro?

Has it always happened, or used to be okay at some point?

Have you checked with the mod authors, maybe they have a problem on Linux only?

What distro?

Has it always happened, or used to be okay at some point?

Have you checked with the mod authors, maybe they have a problem on Linux only?
It's Fedora, which I understand is not fully supported. I have tried about 9 different mods now and any mod, even with just one enabled, causes a crash on launch. All mods work with the latest version when I play them on on my Windows machine. It has always been this way, and just saw this thread and noticed I wasn't alone.

Does that just happen with CK3? Your other games like CK2 and EU4 are okay with mods?

What launcher version do you see? Current is 2021.10

And at what point does this crash occur? While the launcher is starting or running, or while starting or running the game from it?

FYI , in Ubuntu 21.04 I just subscribed to a mod that changes the game's UI to a Burgundy theme. The game loaded and ran perfectly fine, and the mod was enabled okay.

Does that just happen with CK3? Your other games like CK2 and EU4 are okay with mods?

What launcher version do you see? Current is 2021.10

And at what point does this crash occur? While the launcher is starting or running, or while starting or running the game from it?
I appreciate you trying to help.

Version is 2021.10.

It crashes when playing or resuming a game from the launcher., i.e. the launcher is running.

I haven't played CK2 and EU4 in ages, although I may install EU4 to test. My hope is that another Linux user who has successfully trouble shot this, sees this thread and posts a fix. Otherwise I will wait for a launcher update and hope that resolves the issue. At this point all of my other games run great on Linux and CK3 is the only reason I haven't nuked my Windows drive yet.

So I have found a work around. Mods will work if you force the game to start through Steam Play using Proton version 6.3-8. Be warned that you will need to start a new game as your old saves will be gone.

That should not be necessary of course! I'm glad it worked out for you.

Saves in the Steam Cloud should still be available. Local save files might have to be moved, but I know nothing about how Proton handles user files.

I'm having the same issue in Ubuntu 22.04, also tried it with Ubuntu 20.04. I've tried dozens of mods, they all just crash. Is there any sort of fix for this besides using the windows version and proton?

I'm having the same issue in Ubuntu 22.04, also tried it with Ubuntu 20.04. I've tried dozens of mods, they all just crash. Is there any sort of fix for this besides using the windows version and proton?
So I figured out why this was happening with the native version. There was no "mod" folder here: "~/.local/share/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings III/mod". Create the mod folder in the path shown and try again.

Maybe check the folder permissions? If that doesn't work, you can still mod using proton. I had to go proton for a while because of this issue and had to manually install using the method described in this video:

If using proton, be sure to install in the correct "pfx" folder. Not ideal, but it works.

Maybe check the folder permissions? If that doesn't work, you can still mod using proton. I had to go proton for a while because of this issue and had to manually install using the method described in this video:

If using proton, be sure to install in the correct "pfx" folder. Not ideal, but it works.
No luck with the permissions. Thanks again for the assistance. I suppose I'll have to switch to the proton version eventually.