• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

s_p_e_x

Sergeant
28 Badges
Jan 9, 2011
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Crusader Kings II
I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 with an NVIDIA 1050something GPU. I waited the 3 hours or so to download Steel Division to give it a try with the beta SteamPlay. It seemed to launched OK, but hen crashed when it was auto-detecting video settings. I relaunched it and got as far as the first tutorial (with some 3D rendering artifacts) and then it crashed before I could try out my first unit. Several repeated attempts got no further.

I suspect that I might get this working if I manually tweak the video settings. But I was wondering if anyone else had tried or had any better luck?

I bought the game on sale under the impression that it was available for Linux, and was very disappointed when I later tried to play it. I hope PDX will remove the penguin from their marketing of this game (or get SteamPlay working).

Ok, so I tried again by setting the video quality to the "lowest" preset. And I was able to start working through the boot camp tutorials!

However, when I set it to the second-lowest preset, it crashed.

I haven't tried (yet) to figure out which exact setting is the culprit. But at least now I can play the game (and not deal with @#%%# Windows).

The game works for me on Ubuntu 18.04 with all settings set to the highest available but with Tesselation "OFF". Also, try W. Full Screen Mode (Windowed Full Screen) as that is what works for me.