• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

llib

Colonel
96 Badges
Oct 7, 2005
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Ancient Space
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
Hi,
I came back to this game, trying to finish my campaign in progress.
It was working about OK till the second phase of the Baghdad battle- I could clear the bridges fine, but then when the second phase should begin (after deployment), it just ticks the 2nd phase as completed and then crashes to desktop.
Tried twice, googled, and seems others have this problem too. No tech support section found here.
Any tips to go around it, please?

Llib

Hi,
I came back to this game, trying to finish my campaign in progress.
It was working about OK till the second phase of the Baghdad battle- I could clear the bridges fine, but then when the second phase should begin (after deployment), it just ticks the 2nd phase as completed and then crashes to desktop.
Tried twice, googled, and seems others have this problem too. No tech support section found here.
Any tips to go around it, please?

Llib

As you don´t mention anything about your system or configuration the obvious questions:
- you did update your game with the latest patch before you started your current game? Continuing an old savegame after updating the game may lead to problems.
- you don´t have any programs running the background while playing the game?

-This is over steam, so patched automatically
-I have checked the folders for both savegame and for instalation, and they are from around 15.11.2011. As far as I know, latest patch was released about half year prior to that.
-Yes surely many programs, starting with steam. They weren't a problem during other five battles I played.
-Overall thank you for suggestions, as for system configuration, it's 64bit Vistas, Nvidia 9800XT, intel core duo, and not sure what more could be of interest. Nvidia drivers are not terribly outdated for sure.

-This is over steam, so patched automatically

Never trust anything you haven´t checked with your own eyes. Steam *ought* to automatically update your game (and itself), however there are settings in Steam to disable that automatism or it might simply have failed.

When you start the game is version 1.03 displayed in the lower right of your screen after the introduction has ended?

-I have checked the folders for both savegame and for instalation, and they are from around 15.11.2011. As far as I know, latest patch was released about half year prior to that.

The release date does not matter. Steam often needs more time to apply a released patch over their system than it takes to simply download a patch after release from a forum. The question is when the patch was applied to your game and if that was after you started your current game.

Do you have only the pure game or have you added downloadcontent after you started your current game?

-Yes surely many programs, starting with steam. They weren't a problem during other five battles I played.

The battle of Bagdad is far larger than most other battles in the game and with more troops on both sides straining resources like memory and graphic card much more than at the start of the game. So while you might get away with having programs run in the background during most of the game my advice would be during the final battle of the game (regardless on which side) to have only the game itself running and Steam in offline modus so that nothing can interfere with the game.

-Overall thank you for suggestions, as for system configuration, it's 64bit Vistas, Nvidia 9800XT, intel core duo, and not sure what more could be of interest. Nvidia drivers are not terribly outdated for sure.

What could be of more interest are the memory of your computer (e.g. my PC has 3 GB memory) and if nothing else helps the result of running dxdiag and posting that here for someone more knowledgeable than me to check.

Never trust anything you haven´t checked with your own eyes. Steam *ought* to automatically update your game (and itself), however there are settings in Steam to disable that automatism or it might simply have failed.

When you start the game is version 1.03 displayed in the lower right of your screen after the introduction has ended?
Yes there is v1.03

The release date does not matter. Steam often needs more time to apply a released patch over their system than it takes to simply download a patch after release from a forum. The question is when the patch was applied to your game and if that was after you started your current game.
Except that according to what I read on this forum from 1C people is that the patch was first deployed on Steam. As for the version starting the campaign - good thing is, that we can stick there to the facts. Which are that all the game files are about five hours older than savegame directory. So we can safely rule out any problem due to versioning.

Do you have only the pure game or have you added downloadcontent after you started your current game?
No addons, pure game only.

The battle of Bagdad is far larger than most other battles in the game and with more troops on both sides straining resources like memory and graphic card much more than at the start of the game. So while you might get away with having programs run in the background during most of the game my advice would be during the final battle of the game (regardless on which side) to have only the game itself running and Steam in offline modus so that nothing can interfere with the game.
One thing I might want to try is to run it without steam. Honestly at the moment I'm not all too eager playing the first stage of the battle again anytime soon unless I have feeling problem could have been fixed.

What could be of more interest are the memory of your computer (e.g. my PC has 3 GB memory) and if nothing else helps the result of running dxdiag and posting that here for someone more knowledgeable than me to check.
I have 2GB, on Vistas game has stated requirement of 1.5GB. In any case, it should at most slow down and page. No chance in this world for me to believe it could be out of graphic card memory (1GB on my card).
Well as for dxdiag, I could be willing to do that based on information what exactly is that special happening in start of second phase of battle that it could be crashing the game.
Strange thing is that guy named wuhugm seem to had same problem in 2010 (before most recent patch, but no info afterwards) and at least for some cases it was stated in the patch notes to have been fixed...
http://www.gamespot.com/the-kings-crusade/forum/crashing-56683421/
Oh and there are other cases of seemingly same behavior described on net.

Yes there is v1.03

Good, then at least that can´t be the reason for your crashes.

Did you try running the game with administrator rights?

One thing I might want to try is to run it without steam. Honestly at the moment I'm not all too eager playing the first stage of the battle again anytime soon unless I have feeling problem could have been fixed.

How do you intend to run a Steamgame without Steam? I suggested to have Steam in the background in offline-modus for the final battle, but as far as I know for a steamgame to run you need Steam in the background.

I have 2GB, on Vistas game has stated requirement of 1.5GB. In any case, it should at most slow down and page. No chance in this world for me to believe it could be out of graphic card memory (1GB on my card).

1 GB on the graphics card is sufficient if it really is on the graphics card and not something like "Turbocache" in case of Nvidia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_Cache

2 GB system memory is rather low. Especially if you really had other programs running in the background and the game wanted 1,5 GB for itself and Vista.

Well as for dxdiag, I could be willing to do that based on information what exactly is that special happening in start of second phase of battle that it could be crashing the game.

Interesting thought. You want to know first what the problem could be before you reveal what in your system could have caused the problem? ;-)
Sorry but my crystal ball is currently not available due to yearly maintenance.

Strange thing is that guy named wuhugm seem to had same problem in 2010 (before most recent patch, but no info afterwards) and at least for some cases it was stated in the patch notes to have been fixed...
http://www.gamespot.com/the-kings-crusade/forum/crashing-56683421/
Oh and there are other cases of seemingly same behavior described on net.

Those posts in your link are all from 2010 before the 1.03 patch was released. If the symptoms reported there are the same as yours or only similar ones is rather irrelevant if in 2011 the patch was released that fixed at least some of those problems.

Did you try running the game with administrator rights?
I run with admin rights all the time.

How do you intend to run a Steamgame without Steam? I suggested to have Steam in the background in offline-modus for the final battle, but as far as I know for a steamgame to run you need Steam in the background.
Most games on steam can be run without steam (provided you have downloaded them already) by running the executable on the drive. Not sure if this is also case of King's crusade or not.

1 GB on the graphics card is sufficient if it really is on the graphics card and not something like "Turbocache" in case of Nvidia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_Cache
No need to speculate as 9800 specs are known.

2 GB system memory is rather low. Especially if you really had other programs running in the background and the game wanted 1,5 GB for itself and Vista.
Everyone has some other programs running in the background.

Interesting thought. You want to know first what the problem could be before you reveal what in your system could have caused the problem? ;-)
Not really. I want to know whether or not is game trying to do something different than with other battles. I suppose it does, all the problems around it considered, previous fixes etc.

Sorry but my crystal ball is currently not available due to yearly maintenance.
Mine too so that's why I asked on forum that dev's might be attending now and then. But this game may be bit too old for that.

Those posts in your link are all from 2010 before the 1.03 patch was released. If the symptoms reported there are the same as yours or only similar ones is rather irrelevant if in 2011 the patch was released that fixed at least some of those problems.
I did mentioned explicitly when it was released, together with patch release info. So it's not like I'm trying to say one can make conclusion based on that. On the other hand it's not irrelevant either - maybe some part of problem was addressed for some cases, or it was never fixed just that guy did not resumed after most recent patch, or maybe it fixed it for him and he did not felt any need to continue that forum. We do not know. Dev's on the other hand...

I run with admin rights all the time.

That´s good for playing some games where having no admin rights might cause problems - however in general it´s neither necessary nor safe to *always* work with admin rights.

No need to speculate as 9800 specs are known.

Really? Not to me. Most graphic cards are sold in a lot of variations where I have no idea of most of the variations. When I google for the card you mentioned, an Nvidia 9800 XT I get only results of
either an Nvidia 9800 GTX or an ATI 9800 XT.

Everyone has some other programs running in the background.

I don´t. I learned over the years that the more programs are running at the same time, the higher the chances of problems rise.
And I´m sure at least *some* others don´t either so "everyone" is a huge exaggeration. You´re of course free to run everything you want in the background while playing a game - just don´t expect the game to run without problems.

Not really. I want to know whether or not is game trying to do something different than with other battles. I suppose it does, all the problems around it considered, previous fixes etc.

The only difference I´m aware of is the size of the battle and the number of units that put more strain on system memory than any other battle in the campaign. However I´m no programmer so there might be other issues. But it´s always a good idea to make sure that the necesseary memory is available and not used by any other program.

Last edited: