• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
None of the targets are really stronger in 1405 compared to 1399; some of them, notably the Ottomans, are far weaker. That's the whole point. The only potential problem that arises for a player in 1405 compared to 1399 is that the Timurids are much more likely to get involved with your later expansions into Anatolia, and they can be annoying opponents.

Now, the Ottomans also have a good chance of getting totally raped by the Timurids in the 1399 start, from which they're saved in 1405. And it is slightly more than five extra years.

I prefer to start i 1403 and always attack Epirus first, right after Naples attack them (remember to build units from the start of the game). Once the province i taken, I prepair to attack the ottomans at just the right moment, when it's big army goes to anatolia. Then I block the stait and take all i europe, cross the strait and get the rest. That way, the ottomans end up with only one province. Then I take the rest of the anatolian cores from the muslims. Now have the income to use spies, som I use them to take provinces like rhodes and cyprus. Always keep an eye what the big boys are doing, because they might not inter the war, if thay are already fighting another big one. In my current byz game, I got all core provinces by 1425. After this, I use missions to get kill of Naples, Venice, Sicily and Rome. Then I start taking Northen Italian provinces because of universitys and good income. In the proces, I weaken bohemia and often also Austria, so they dont get too big.

Wouldn't it be better then to attack Corfu and Naxos while you're at war with Venice? Wouldn't it be better to attack Cyprus. They have a much higher base tax and at this moment France won't get to you anyway.

Cyprus has French guarantee and I leave it for later - being at war with France tempts Ottos into an attack and remember I am already on borrowed time when I am sieging Venice, if it doesn't fall fast, I may fall instead. ;-)

It's only one island which I can't really protect when my navy blocks Bosphorus. Attacking Corfu would mean I don't get Achea. When I beat Venice I make them release Naxos and Corfu and DoW both right away netting myself two extra provinces before they get guarantees. If I have similar success with Epirus (it's 50/50 if I can get them before Naples does) I can pretty much fight Ottos having whole Greece behind me). Sometimes I will jump Epirus even when already at war with Ottomans. ;-)

More provinces I have, less inflation I need. And I really don't like inflation. In general I gamble on one thing, my ability to conquer Venice before Timur dies. If I get lucky with that, I can also gamble same way with Epirus, Corfu and Naxos. I am not touching Cyprus though, a prolonged war with France makes me look a tad too weak... and France typically won't release me from that war for a long while (I tried a few times...).

What I mean is that when you're at war with Cyprus/France/Venice (I still prefer this one) or Acheae/Venice, you can also DOW Naxos and Corfu at the same time and Venice, nor Venice's allies will be able to accept a call to arms, since you're already at war with Venice. That's what I usually do.

First attack Cyprus, defend Morea, sink some French cogs, attack the Venetian fleet (by this time you will have built enough ships to defeat the Venetian fleet), siege Crete and Athens (you will have built a large enough army to be able to beat the stack in Athens), land troops in Treviso and block the straight and demand Crete. Now you will have Thrace, Cyprus, Morea, Acheae, Naxos, Corfu and Crete. Milan will have annexed Epirus and Albania and Athens will still be Venetian. It hasn't happened one single time to me that the Ottomans attacked me before this. Now you can attack Ottomans with Wallachia. You block the straight and even when you mess up, Ottomans will only be able to siege Thrace. They can't reach Cyprus and Crete because their fleet is trapped in Edirne and they can't reach Naxos, Corfu, Morea and Acheae because Venice and Milan are blocking the land connection.

It's a longshot and ships you get are usually Cogs, best case scenario a bunch of battered Galleys. It's all luck. Sometimes I get 2-3 from Venice, sometimes iI get squat.

Starting 1405 is pointless, by 1405 in the game I already have beaten Venice and am bashing ottomans' skull against the wall... You don't get much stronger than you would be at that point in time if you started in 1399 - and you only lose 6 years of your campaign for nothing.

I see your longshot and DOUBLE the length with waiting until Naples has its army there, THEN blowing up its ships and making an amphibious landing, trying to take as much as you can.

It is preferable not to occupy any of the Ottoman provinces in Europe. Occupy Serbia and Bosnia and then sit tight. The Ottoman war exhaustion will climb and eventually rebels will rise in Europe and return your cores to you. Occasionally, (parts of) Bulgaria will break free and you can quickly annex them.

I find this strategy preferable to trying to negotiate with the Ottomans. In my experience, they usually refuse to sue for peace because the AI will have finished with the Timurids, in the process conquering most of Anatolia, and knows full well that you can't destroy their army.

My best start (from 1399, HTTT): took Achaea, Athens, Janina, Corfu, Naxos, and Crete before the Ottomans peaced out with the Timurids. Blockaded the straits and waited for rebels to return Larissa, Macedonia, and Edirne (!!). The defection of Edirne caused the Ottoman fleet to put to sea, where they were defeated by my galley horde just barely (outnumbered them 3-1 and even took the naval morale NI!). Annexed a two province Bulgaria that also rebelled from the Ottomans. I never minted for any length of time, use of the treasury slider only being neccessary to balance out an occasionally overzealous production of galleys.

My first start (from 1399, IN): took Rhodes, Trebizond, Achaea, and Cyprus before going to war with the Ottomans. Stupidly occupied Edirne, sending the Ottoman fleet out to sea where they annihiliated my fleet. Ottoman doom legion crosses the strait and besieges Thrace. The situation appeared hopeless, when suddenly the Ottomans were at war with almost every Italian state. Every single one arrived in good order and flung themselves at the ottomans while I instituted liberum veto: ~15 units spawned in Rhodes and hapless Byzantium took Anatolia.

Last edited:
Everything but the Ottomans can wait. You don't have to mint at all. Every strategy is going to have a hole in it. The Ottomans can peace out with the Timurids very quickly. If that happens, the rest is irrelevant. I use one strategy and just wing it from there.

Start building galleys from the start. Build more than you need. As many as you can afford at that moment. Once you have more than 10 you can dow the Ottomans, but keep building til you get around 15. My first slider move is naval to make them cheaper. I offer alliances to Moldova, Wallachia, and Ragusa. Someone will decline. If the Ottomans partner up with GH, having Moldova as an ally is a huge problem, but it doesn't usually matter if you take it to the Turks early enough. The Ottomans will put their entire army in Anatolia early on, what you are looking for is when Serbia moves their army across. Once you have enough galleys and Serbia's army on the wrong side of the Bosporus, dow the Ottomans. Immediately take out the vassals. Go ahead and take the Turkish lands that have Bulgarian cores. It will destroy the Ottomans WE much quicker than waiting for rebels. You shouldn't have to spend a dime on rebels. They will pop up in the Greek lands in no time. Your goal is to break the Ottomans asap. Eventually, Edirne will fall and the Ottoman navy will hit yours. You will probably lose and they will swipe a ship or two. This is why you need the extra galleys. Losing this naval battle isn't the end of the world. Just time it to get your navy back out before any Ottoman troops can cross but after their navy is back in port. As long as you have a larger navy than they do, they won't come back out. Often, Greek rebels will capture a couple provinces and then just move back and forth until the provinces jump over to you. At which point you get that army. You do not want this. If you place a single army in each province that the rebels capture, they will bounce all around the balkans instead of just moving back and forth. You should be able to steal a couple extra provinces from Venice or whoever by doing this. Probe the Ottomans to find out exactly when their economy collapses. Then you can roll them in short order. You want this to happen asap. Anything that delays this just sets you way back. Once you have war score over 90, soak up as many cores as you can and you are golden. Proceed to scoop up every other core in the area and complete missions as quickly as you can. You should have plenty of cash and a strong enough army and navy that your only threat is Castille's navy. Their navy is beastly from the start. Just don't leave your navy out for long and kill off any troops they drop in your lands. They will quickly get tired and white peace out. This strategy will succeed a very high percentage of the time and you can usually get all cores back under your control within 20 years from the start of the game. After that, it's entirely up to you. You are already one of the strongest nations in the game at this point, but I highly recommend completing missions in rapid succession.

Edit: And do destroy the Ottoman's stability by demanding peace that they won't accept.

Last edited:
Top 10 easiest? That's a really bold statement.

Which of those is harder? :p

1. France.
2. England.
3. Castille.
4. Burgundy.
5. Ottomans.
6. Ming.
7. Japan.
8. Austria.
9. Venice.
10. Sweden.

Top 10 easiest? That's a really bold statement.

Which of those is harder? :p

1. France.
2. England.
3. Castille.
4. Burgundy.
5. Ottomans.
6. Ming.
7. Japan.
8. Austria.
9. Venice.
10. Sweden.

Japan or Venice :) But ignored Muscovy/Novgorod/Bohemia/Milan :)

You can grow bigger faster with less BB as Byz than you can with almost any of those you mentioned. Oh yeah, and cores everywhere so nothing is revolting either. :p No need for diplomacy or carefully navigating alliance webs full of a dozen opm's, just good old HW CB all the way to China. Convert the HRE if he gets out of line, so he can start forcing others to Orthodox in preperation for your eventual taking of Europe. If you're using claim throne CB, you can get crazy in Europe too, but waiting to inherit is much less certain than grabbing up 5+ provinces a shot from Mam's, Persia/Tims/GH. OE is even more nasty in Human hands, but the BB can stack up fast if you get a bit too excited as I usually do.

It takes quite some knowledge of various mechanics of the game to get rolling with Byzantines, knowledge that isn't typically required to play France... If France was harder, we would not be getting a thread per week asking to help with Byzantines but rather to help with France...

Also, England can core Ireland, Scotland and half of France in comparable amount of time if missions fire in the right order. It's way quicker expansion than Byzantine and nets far more power in the end.

England can, I totally agree. I listed imo the easiest countries to play expansionist with in another thread, and England was #1. Byz I think I had at 4 or 5, France was around 8, Austria 7 iirc. France can blob with no problem, sure... but BB can be a killer if you don't take time to get the correct CB's for each little province you want to grab. Catholic countries have tons of religion flip-flopping to deal with as well. As Byz, you can westernize if you want or not... and have generally 'soft' targets to your south and east until you run out of terrain and hit the pacific ocean. It's all takable via HW CB right at the start with no need to get fancy with throne claims or using excom. Depending on your ideas, you can get CB on all non-orthodox Christians as well very early in the game and purge out the evil catholics. I like to save Europe for later, or do a few throne grabs between eastward expansions. The only thing that slows you down really are the stab hits when your BB gets a bit too high, but running 3 Diplo's and doing everything possible to reduce infamy helps to mitigate the cost of absorbing turf.

So these strategies are totally useless in Divine Wind, where the Ottomans start with a beefed up Navy.

So, what to do now?

Is it possible for us to vote, say 5 posts which give the best advice on various strategies and then just sticky it. I swear this is being asked every week in a new thread. By now I should probably just write a doc. and copy paste whenever I see a thread like this.

So these strategies are totally useless in Divine Wind, where the Ottomans start with a beefed up Navy.

So, what to do now?

I haven't tried it, but it should still be true unless they improved the naval ai as well as the land ai.

The naval ai won't leave port if you have a more scary navy than them. Scarieness of navy is defined purely by numbers not by power. thus it should actually be easier to do now as you build 10g galleys while they will only build 50g carracks. Sure they would kill you in a fight, but you can trick them into thinking otherwise more easily.

Build more galleys than they have big ships, don't siege the province their fleet is in.

Mind, some things have changed since (DW beta) - but attacking the Turkish minors CAN work. It'll be a gamble to have Thrace occupied while you take all of Anatolia from your new annexations there (you WILL end up with high WE, but so will the Ottomans..) Then let them trickle accross the Bosporus. If they insist on sending it all at the same time, block.. remove the fleet again.. Wait until they send an army of a size that you CAN defeat.. pursue until destruction. Rinse and repeat. Rebels will eventually deal with the west, you just make sure you get Anatolia. Need to try again.
Still, luck is involved, and you will need to be prepared to save and reload on occassion.

I haven't tried it, but it should still be true unless they improved the naval ai as well as the land ai.

The naval ai won't leave port if you have a more scary navy than them. Scarieness of navy is defined purely by numbers not by power. thus it should actually be easier to do now as you build 10g galleys while they will only build 50g carracks. Sure they would kill you in a fight, but you can trick them into thinking otherwise more easily.

Build more galleys than they have big ships, don't siege the province their fleet is in.

In a Byzantine game last night, I believe I discovered the the naval AI has developed somewhat. In the attachment you can see my fleet of 9 galleys is blocking the port at Crete where the entire Venetian fleet of 8 carracks are holding out. I had to send my fleet of carracks, 8 in all, to protect a new carrack before it gets attacked by Naples. Once the fleet of carracks moves out, the Venetians feel confident they can defeat my fleet of galleys. They're right!

There may be something I am overlooking, but this means that naval strategy for several countries needs to be revisited.

Byzantium is harder now, imo.

Attachments

• EU3_2.bmp
    EU3_2.bmp
    7,9 MB · Views: 135