• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Yavor

Captain
21 Badges
Feb 24, 2019
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Crusader Kings II
First of all, I am sorry if I am posting a controversial topic, and I am quick to specify that I love air units as much as anyone. However I am receiving a lot of feedback from competitor class players that air is too much overpowered and water is just not worth it. So I decided to give my two cents on this topic:

1 – Early game anti air operations. They can be used to hinder enemy advancements on your vulnerable sectors, by spawning a rocket barrage status effect, or anti air drones, or interceptors, or anything, that can protect your most vulnerable to air sectors and territory,

2 – Cheap anti air units – those may be the said anti air drones, or interceptors, or perhaps they may be land-to-air units with a broad range of operation, like anti air missle turrets, that damage nearby air or floating units, or a mobile anti air artillery, that is otherwise vulnerable in a land fight, but has the ability to damage air units many hexes away. Simply any cheap source of anti air balance will be welcome.

3 – An introduction of a new resource type, similar to kerosene, that will be used to allow air units to travel longer distances. The air units can still patrol over your territory, but for far flights, behind enemy lines, they would need more and more of this resource. Perhaps an introduction to a carrier system might be in order. And one more thing – this kerosene, or “anti gravity particles”, or “flying carpet magic” resource may be found mainly on water sectors.

4 – This one is not actually about anti air, but I am hoping that it could revitalize water units usage. Namely strong, useful, water landmarks with lots of OP bonuses and abilities. There is a million ways these may be a good idea for the further development of the game.

5 – Cheaper upkeep on water units, just to stimulate their growth and usefulness. Again I must press the issue of an air carrier water unit system, as I believe that it would be an interesting twist. You want air superiority? Then you need water dominance first! Something simple as that.

This is all I can think of right now. Even if you don’t agree with most of what I said, I’m sure that it will be useful if you give your own suggestions on how to improve the air and water disbalance. People have insisted that these are the main setbacks on the game, on a multiplayer scale, esp the 1v1. I am not that much of a competitor myself, I have just played a handful of MP games, however I can see why the air superiority may be a strategical map issue.

Again I love air units just as much as you do, however I want this game to succeed, so I give my thoghts on that. I am interested also in your opinions!

Kind Regards!

Upvote 0
Fly/Float is soo good that it makes units that don't - obsolete, hard to compete with lot's of movement in a TURN based strategy.
Water sectors - no NEED to have those, so why would i bother? I need to get in the opponent's face asap - water does not help me do that.

Maybe change existing defence structures (towers) to only target non-ground units. Then boost their power as necessary.

This would restrict the universal superiority of air/float to fights in the open - at least in autocombat.

Last edited:
to the open, and sectors, and if you buffed them enough to actually ever be worth building as pure AA render air entirely useless on colonies.

no, the answer if you really REALLY need to nerf air, is to add more anti-air tags in.

that said, most factions already HAVE cheap anti air in their scout units.

Personally, I make use of water sectors for their resources. There's good stuff out there sometimes.

But it WOULD be interesting to have anti-air measures on the tactical map. Maybe either a researched tech or an operation, or a base section thingie (with costs/slots of such things thinned out to compensate, so people won't have to sacrifice too many other possible extensions to have said air defense). Ugh, sorry I can't word that well, I'm a derp. ^^;;