• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter XLII: Citius, Altius, Fortius
From the personal diaries of Cardinal Alberto Pala

Monday 19th of March 1894
Interesting news today, it appears that someone wants to revive the Olympic Games, and it was a Frenchman of all people who came to me today to suggest the idea. This Baron de Coubertin is not content with the regional Olympics that have been organized here and there but has plans for something truly international, as was the case in ancient times. I will be the first to admit that I have never shown much interest in the matter before today, I always thought the local affairs to be pleasing enough distractions but the pagan aura always kept me skeptical of larger movements. However, today's conversation has encouraged me to look deeper into the subject and begin to ask my fellow cardinals for their opinions.
De Coubertin started his harangue by explaining the virtue of sportsmanship and the importance of keeping these competitions among amateurs because, in his view, the main virtue of the athletic competition is the struggle to overcome one's opponent rather than mere victory; a statement with which I would agree in theory, but I doubt in practice. But the element that really captured my attention was his belief that one might, formally or informally, revive the ancient sacred truce and use the Games as a tool for peace and understanding across cultures. That a Frenchman could suggest such a thing to an Italian mere months after a war, struck me as proof of his sincerity and had me thinking about the plausibility of the concept. I do not expect that we could end the institution of war with this display but that would be an aspirational goal and I do believe that friendly athletic competition could be a more civilized substitute for the wars that have marred this century. I let the baron go without a firm answer but I implied that he should have hope for the success of his project.

DoBAeCTl.jpg

As I mentioned, I spoke to several other cardinals to gauge their opinion on the matter and I received lukewarm support but warm nonetheless. Many simply see the fact that our economy is flourishing and we can afford to spend a few tens of thousands of dramme to heighten our status on the global stage, others see the ceremony more as a way to assert our dominance. One such cardinal was Cardinal Fatta who suggested that we should keep the celebration in Olympia in perpetuity and not let this opportunity slip through our fingers. This disturbed me mainly because the rotation of locations was one of the ingredients that de Coubertin had suggested would be key to the peace process and, rather than a display of strength, I believe that Fatta's plan would be seen as more of a diplomatic insult. As such, I tried my best to give him half-replies that neither confirmed nor denied my approval and quickly moved on to others.
I must now compile a comprehensive report for the pope and seek his judgment where I can ensure that his holiness sees the importance of the project and the spirit in which it must be undertaken. I pray that I shall be convincing enough.

1ucmgKpl.jpg

Monday 6th of April 1896
And so the Olympics have returned for the first time in over a millennium and on Easter Sunday to ward off any paganism shadows. We still haven't seen much of the approximately four hundred athletes' abilities but the opening ceremony was a great spectacle with dignitaries and music for everyone to enjoy in the restored stadium at Olympia. I was overjoyed to have the ancient Verdi accept my call once again and act as Italy's representative in the artistic portion of the ceremony by directing a few of his most famous pieces. The pope himself even came to the inauguration to give a small speech which I thought was sufficient and quite typical of pope Innocent but it seems to have been met with polite applause by those in attendance. Speaking of which, no seat was left unoccupied and there were over forty thousand spectators to the event and nearly four hundred athletes from Europe and the Americas. As is to be expected, the majority of athletes is Italian but there is also a significant contingent of Greeks who have traveled the short distance from their country to the Peloponnese.
The encounter with the Greek ambassador dampened the mood of the occasion significantly, however. I did my best to make polite conversation and keep away thoughts of revanchism and the status of the Peloponnese but my efforts were not sufficient. I was asked several pointed questions about the Greek heritage of the games and the Greek myths surrounding them and there was not much I could do to dispel the awkwardness of the situation. I would like to make it clear that the interaction was entirely civil but the bitterness was absolutely inescapable and not something I could do much about. I have thought a little about the Greek question but I can't think of a good solution that would satisfy all parties: I can see that this land is traditionally Greek and that many ethnic Greeks live here but it has also been fifty years since the invasion and there is a significant proportion of Italians in the area whose rights need to be recognized. I've seen that Innocent has no intention of rocking the boat but I believe that the longer this issue is ignored the harder it will be to find a permanent solution.
Fortunately, the rest of the day had no more such standoffs with even the French, Austrian, and Hungarian representatives putting on a conciliatory face and bringing me the compliments of their respective governments. I have no proof that de Coubertin's ideas on peace have any merit to them but I find it comforting that, since we accepted the Olympic commission two years ago, there have been no major wars in Europe and international politics has been relatively subdued. One hopes that this may continue far into the future.
But, returning to the actual sporting events, we witnessed some impressive athletic performances by twenty-five competitors divided among the discus throw and the triple jump. To my great satisfaction, it was two Italians who earned first place and were given the silver medal and olive branch while another Italian gained the copper and laurel branch. For the discus it was Silvano Bonacci who arrived first while Uberto Silveri was second; for the triple jump, Massimiliano Vilella prevailed while the Swiss Werner Waldmeier managed to come in second. The display aroused considerable enthusiasm and I could feel that the crowd was enjoying itself greatly in witnessing these pinnacles of physical prowess which made me feel very much aware of my old age.
In summary, despite a few diplomatic abrasions, I believe that the first day has been a success and I am excited about its continuation tomorrow where we can expect more athletics, weightlifting and I especially look forward to the fencing.

05XQ2Hbl.jpg

Wednesday 15th of April 1896
At last, the games have concluded and nothing went horribly awry either internally or externally. The closing ceremony was a simple affair where I thanked all the illustrious guests and all the athletes that had participated before leaving the stage to some of the other dignitaries present. At that point, the pressure was quite low since most of the spectators had left on Monday after the final cycling event and we were mostly reduced to athletes and officials.
In a triumphant display of the capabilities of our youth, Italian athletes managed to secure twenty-one silver medals and thirty-one copper medals leaving the other nationalities far behind, although the United States gained an honorable second place with eight silver and four copper which is considerable since they had almost one athlete for twenty of ours. Regardless of the victories or defeats, I found myself enthralled in disciplines I scarcely knew existed but seemed incredibly important at the time. I was enthralled by the acrobatic performances at the pommel horse where the competition was almost entirely a German affair with the few Italians not being particularly remarkable. I remember how outraged I was that the judges had given first place to the Swiss Zutter while they relegated the clearly superior German Weingartner in second. In hindsight, I'm not sure what exactly caused me to think that but I suppose that such is sport.
Regarding politics, everyone turned out to be surprisingly civil and all the major participants managed to gain a medal so there can't be too many complaints; although I smile at the memory of the French almost always falling behind an Italian, which led to a humorous amount of jokes and witticisms on the matter. Even the Greek tempers were cooled with their own silver medal and the harsher notes in conversation softened after a few days of fraternization. I hope that this might do a little to spread mutual understanding among our two peoples and this land that history has caused us to share despite much animosity having developed among both sides. I was pleased to note that this behavior was more or less common among most of the competitors who were more united by their disciplines than divided by their nationality; if only such an attitude could flourish in the continent.
I decided to write some letters of congratulations and thanks to each of the national delegations to ensure that this spirit be not soon forgotten but remembered fondly until the next time we meet again in the new century wherever that may be. I have high hopes for the future.

Author’s note:
Cardinal Pala died suddenly in the autumn of 1896 after twenty years of loyal service to the newborn Italian nation.
He followed a fairly standard path to the Curia and was well remembered in his archbishopric of Modena but failed to make much of a splash in the political scene of the day. Nowadays, he is mostly remembered as the principal sponsor of the First Olympic Games but his cultural work is often remembered in the names of schools and streets in many Italian cities.
In recent times, the colonial legacy of the Olympics has tarnished Pala's legacy with many Greeks and certain politicians arguing that the celebration be abolished or, at the very least, given back fully to the Greeks as a part of their cultural heritage. Regardless of the future of these claims, modern historiography tends to be less critical of Pala since he did not actively deteriorate the condition of the Greek people but it must be remembered that he did not act to alleviate the oppression.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting news today, it appears that someone wants to revive the Olympic Games, and it was a Frenchman of all people who came to me today to suggest the idea.
This seems an underhand move to have an embarrassing incident where the Italian colonial overlords force the Greeks to partake in an Olympic games, in Greece, under the authority of Italy.

Oops!

Then again, it seems to have gone smoothly regardless. So...idk.

De Coubertin started his harangue by explaining the virtue of sportsmanship and the importance of keeping these competitions among amateurs because, in his view, the main virtue of the athletic competition is the struggle to overcome one's opponent rather than mere victory
Somebody is very naive.

I can see that this land is traditionally Greek and that many ethnic Greeks live here but it has also been fifty years since the invasion and there is a significant proportion of Italians in the area whose rights need to be recognized.
Ah yes, of course, that delicate balancing act.

I remember how outraged I was that the judges had given first place to the Swiss Zutter while they relegated the clearly superior German Weingartner in second. In hindsight, I'm not sure what exactly caused me to think that but I suppose that such is sport.
See above!

Ah, the age old trick of sublimating war into sport. Surely, we will never see war between the world powers ever again – only vigorous bouts of speed-walking, plunge for distance and artistic gymnastics.

The Olympics have always been, and continue to be, a bit of a mess politically, of course, so plus ça change. But it really is unfortunate that the affair amounted to such a flagrant display of coloniser over colonised. I wonder whether this might stoke Greek pride into any sort of response…

Ah, the age old trick of sublimating war into sport. Surely, we will never see war between the world powers ever again – only vigorous bouts of speed-walking, plunge for distance and artistic gymnastics.

The Olympics have always been, and continue to be, a bit of a mess politically, of course, so plus ça change. But it really is unfortunate that the affair amounted to such a flagrant display of coloniser over colonised. I wonder whether this might stoke Greek pride into any sort of response…
I can only imagine the Greeks and sympathetic nations are going to be passed about this.

If there is one thing sure to stoke British ire, its creating a huge international sporting event without their involvement and also being obviously imperialist. It makes all empires seem like a 'bad idea' (if you can believe that) which is of course, bad for business in the largest one ever.

Mind you, for the rest of the world, having the balkans eventually split between Italy and Austria, two lower tier great powers uniquely vulnerable to attack, and who eternally hate each other so they won't ally, is probably better than the current constant crisises.

An Olympiad organised and sponsored by the Papacy you say? I do hope they added some special events to reflect those things the Papacy is famous for - the 4x100M(illion) tax evasion relay, synchronised denial of responsibility, the long jump to a new parish, that sort of thing.

Also a bit baffled as to why Pala is considered about paganism. It's been decades since anyone in the Curia was even slightly religious, so it's a bit odd to start worrying now.

Also a bit baffled as to why Pala is considered about paganism. It's been decades since anyone in the Curia was even slightly religious, so it's a bit odd to start worrying now.
Maybe he has changed .... no, probably just to maintain appearances

An Olympiad organised and sponsored by the Papacy you say? I do hope they added some special events to reflect those things the Papacy is famous for - the 4x100M(illion) tax evasion relay, synchronised denial of responsibility, the long jump to a new parish, that sort of thing.

We're getting into the 20th century and the modernist movement. Totally in character therefore for the church to suddenly become religious again, whilst everyone else couldn't care less.

As an example, I was surprised to learn that 10% of the Anglican Church members in England were regular church attendees in 1901.

In a way, it makes the religious grip on western civilization all the more remarkable, considering that all churches have been in the death throes for a century or more (the US is a marked outlier, of course).

We're getting into the 20th century and the modernist movement. Totally in character therefore for the church to suddenly become religious again, whilst everyone else couldn't care less.

As an example, I was surprised to learn that 10% of the Anglican Church members in England were regular church attendees in 1901.
I think there is a degree of Viscount Melbourne-ing going on with that statistic "While I cannot be regarded as a pillar, I must be regarded as a buttress of the church, because I support it from outside." I can only easily find post-WW2 stats but even in 1947 85% of people believed in God (broadly defined).

In a way, it makes the religious grip on western civilization all the more remarkable, considering that all churches have been in the death throes for a century or more (the US is a marked outlier, of course).
Nah. The church of England very kindly counts who turns up at Easter service, peak attendance 2.3 million in 1933 and even in 1962 it was still a bit under 2.2 million (1901 they got 1.95 million through the door for comparison). Indeed the church still managed about 1.2 million in 2019.

The long terms trends are all down and in terms of moral authority and political influence the collapse has been even faster. But death throes for more than a century is really over-stating the case. 50 Years at best, the 1970s are when all the numbers start to noticeably fall and they've never recovered.

This seems an underhand move to have an embarrassing incident where the Italian colonial overlords force the Greeks to partake in an Olympic games, in Greece, under the authority of Italy.

Oops!

Then again, it seems to have gone smoothly regardless. So...idk.
It went relatively well mostly because it's the 19th century and Greece doesn't really have a powerful enough sponsor for the Great Powers to care
Somebody is very naive.

Ah yes, of course, that delicate balancing act.

See above!
The spirit of the thing is positive, the outcome...it may vary.

Yeah, proxy tribal warfare is only proxy for so long. This kind of colonial attitude is definitely tainting the event (*looks nervously at the Elgin Marbles*) but, as you said, it was always going to be a political mess somehow.
I can only imagine the Greeks and sympathetic nations are going to be passed about this.

If there is one thing sure to stoke British ire, its creating a huge international sporting event without their involvement and also being obviously imperialist. It makes all empires seem like a 'bad idea' (if you can believe that) which is of course, bad for business in the largest one ever.

Mind you, for the rest of the world, having the balkans eventually split between Italy and Austria, two lower tier great powers uniquely vulnerable to attack, and who eternally hate each other so they won't ally, is probably better than the current constant crisises.
Hey, our colonial empire is just a small sausage shop in Tanganika, the British can't lecture us.
The Balkans are going to heat up in the near future (and not with Austria, mind you) but there's still some stability to be had.

It's not tax evasion if you're siphoning off money to a foreign sovereign nation. Hmm, that doesn't sound much better.
Although I would love to see some papal-themed events.
If there's anything that the Catholic Church likes, that's maintaining appearances.

I think there is a degree of Viscount Melbourne-ing going on with that statistic "While I cannot be regarded as a pillar, I must be regarded as a buttress of the church, because I support it from outside." I can only easily find post-WW2 stats but even in 1947 85% of people believed in God (broadly defined).

Nah. The church of England very kindly counts who turns up at Easter service, peak attendance 2.3 million in 1933 and even in 1962 it was still a bit under 2.2 million (1901 they got 1.95 million through the door for comparison). Indeed the church still managed about 1.2 million in 2019.

The long terms trends are all down and in terms of moral authority and political influence the collapse has been even faster. But death throes for more than a century is really over-stating the case. 50 Years at best, the 1970s are when all the numbers start to noticeably fall and they've never recovered.
Goodness, that's a surprisingly low percentage. Then again, the British monarchy has become more squeamish about allowing their kings to marry who they like so the Church might have outlived its venerable purpose.

Also, I would like to encourage everyone to vote in the Q2 2021 ACAs!
There are only a few days left and anyone is eligible to vote for as many AARs as they like, so get out there and exercise your democratic right!

Chapter XLIII: A Matter of Trust
From the personal diaries of Cardinal Giovanni Trinca

Wednesday 23rd of September 1891
I'm happy to report that my campaign against debtor's prisons is having a resounding success throughout Tuscany and I have been tasked with the delivery of a formal request to the Holy Father on behalf of the Etrurian Senate to institute some sort of bankruptcy law to take us away from what is essentially the enslavement of the less affluent. I don't know how likely this proposal is to be made into law but I believe that it is important that a signal is sent and the Senate make full use of its advisory role. On the other hand, Pope Innocent seems to have begun to soften up regarding the necessity of reform and he might even choose to make this the beginning of a new line of advancements, the first in almost twenty years. It's not that I don't understand his concerns, I too see that speeding ahead runs the risk of leaving too many behind, but it is important that we do everything that is within our power to alleviate the suffering of our people. I have thought about having a discussion with the Holy Father in person, but I don't think it is yet my place to do so since I was so recently added to the Curia and don't wish to make an overbearing first impression before I have achieved anything of note. In the future I may be so bold, but not yet.
This leads me to the task I was actually assigned to do here. I'm a few days away from the end of my tour of the most significant factories in the region but I feel that I've seen quite enough to form a negative opinion of most factory owners I have met. During my visits, I noticed some most abominable practices that follow the letter of Rerum Novarum but disregard its principles without any scruples. While there should be a dialogue between bosses and workers, the bosses fully take advantage of their employees and use every dirty trick to stop them from exercising their rights. One such tactic is the violent beating of union leaders who dare speak out for better working conditions or if that isn't successful, the firing of nearly the entire workforce only to replace them with those who have sunk deeper into desperation.

lYVTomel.jpg

Thankfully, my mandate in Etruria allows me to set up a table of discussion with the unions and pen a law that would forbid this abusive behavior and establish a more sustainable system. I'm amazed that this has lasted for so long, but I'll do my best to ensure that all of Italy may benefit from these advantages. As above, I am reluctant to write to the pope about this due to my condition, but I will endeavor to make this resolution work well in Etruria so that their senators may, in turn, propose the extension of these measures. And, if a global initiative were to fail, I'm sure that Pope Innocent wouldn't stop me from conducting similar investigations in the other five kingdoms, and then I could reprise the good work done here.
The project looks intimidating when put onto paper in this way, but I know that it is the right path to take. I'm certain that God will guide the Holy Father towards the implementation of a just system and I will do my best to be a worthy agent of this change.

Saturday 6th of October 1894
It seems that my decision to move from the gold standard to a bimetallic standard has begun to pay off. I confess that I held my breath when we started to use our silver reserves to print more dramme for fear of some unforeseen inflationary effect, but we can now be certain that this did not happen. On the contrary, our economy has benefitted from an increase in liquidity and national prices have stabilized, on the whole, a blessing for our nation confined to the Mediterranean and unable to purchase more exotic goods like the larger colonial empires. I hope that the Holy Father will look favorably on this progress and maybe even accept to move along some of the reform projects I've championed in the Senate.
I have not been idle in my wait for these reports, but I've taken the time to educate myself on the overall state of Italian industry and have discovered further rampant abuses of the current economic system. While our economy is at its healthiest when there is competition between different firms in the same field, it has become increasingly common for certain industries, especially those with high start-up costs, to be monopolized by a few or just a single company which can then dictate unreasonable terms to those it depends on. A particularly egregious case is that of the Colombo company which has a stranglehold on the production of industrial machinery for most other factories in Italy and has been suffocating young enterprises before they can contribute to the national economy with their full potential. Though I am not clear on how Colombo became so dangerous in the first place, it is plain to see that now they hold their position by forcing competitors to fail and buying up whatever remains from the ruined owners; not only that, but they have also resorted to bribery and threats within local government to ensure that none should impede them.

bCK5qtKl.jpg

Thank God, I managed to learn of these crimes, and I have begun to establish a basis of operations from which to restore a sense of normalcy to our nation. For now, my study has mostly consisted in gathering testimony of the acts in question and building a clear picture of the principal industrial supply chains that are involved. With this information in hand, I have begun to collaborate with journalists and senators already aware of the problem to develop a solution that can be presented to the pope both as an official report from myself and as a motion in the senate. We have currently agreed upon setting an upper limit on the market share that a single company or its subsidiaries can have with the penalty of forced dismemberment for the offending company in the most extreme cases.
I believe that this will mark the beginning of a new era for the benefit of everyone involved if one excludes a couple of greedy factory owners. The workers will have a greater choice between employers, smaller companies will have easier access to the goods they need, and the nation as a whole will see its industrial capacity ever increasing. It will take a lot of hard work, but the prize will be worth it in the end.

Saturday 2nd of May 1896
The anti-trust bill in the senate has finally been approved by a majority and it's just waiting to receive the approval of the kings. Fortunately, I have managed to convince Innocent that this is a necessary reform and, despite his natural inclination being otherwise, I have managed to wear him down bit by bit and get him to side with the majority of the other three kings. And there Providence is on my side with the new King Vittorio of Sicily inheriting his father's French perspective and King Emanuele Filiberto of Sardinia realizing that the welfare of his kingdom depends on this reform. My sole regret is that King Alfonso of Naples has remained cold to each of my overtures, but I must accept that there is no shame in success even if it is not total.
I have also managed to use my temporary position of prominence to look into ways to improve the lives of the workers. Currently, the bosses can get away with keeping these people in dark rooms with their fatigue alone giving them a sense of passing time and the end of their shift. This would be unpleasant enough on its own but any worker who leaves before their time is up is so severely punished that most choose to work far beyond the time they are paid for to avoid such actions. Once again, my head is in my hands as I try to contemplate how such a system could be upheld for so long, but I can only hope that I am the first to notice these crimes so well hidden from public view.
I plan to mandate the establishment of fixed and clearly displayed working hours to avoid the abuses that I have above described. I'm sure that this will not be taken well by the abusers, but I've thought of something that might win back those who don't already oppose me on the issue of trusts. I could ask the pope to provide me with enough money to fund the installation of electric lights in all factories either entirely at the expense of the state or with a great reduction in burden for the owners.

xyAmBRxl.jpg

The measure would certainly improve working conditions and reduce the risk of accidents while it would, ironically, allow for longer working hours. Now, I know that this sounds like a contradiction with my previous point but the increase in hours would not overburden the currently present workers but manage to provide new job opportunities while it would increase productivity. It would simply require the creation of three daily shifts of eight hours, each manned by the same number of workers thus tripling the amount of people employed while doubling the number of hours worked even under the current system of abuse.
I'm sure that there will be opposition, especially from my current adversaries, but there is no doubt that these measures would benefit everyone at every level. Knowing Innocent, I might have to tone down some of the obligations and allow for greater personal freedom, but I would be satisfied even with a mild improvement to the current conditions; and, with the economy rising, why should everyone not share in the profits?

• 2Like
Reactions:
I do wonder how the ideas of Christian charity will interact with unions, socialism, unchecked capitalism etc.

Maybe paternalism on a grand scale?

I'm amazed that this has lasted for so long, but I'll do my best to ensure that all of Italy may benefit from these advantages.
I was all ready to be snarky about Cardinal Trinca's naivete, but then he turned out to have a lot of success at pushing through incremental reforms to make lives better.

I'm happy to report that my campaign against debtor's prisons
Papal debtors prisons you say? I imagine the court cases are fun;

"You stand accused of not paying your debts, what is your defence?"
"Leviticus 25."
"Shut up, you know we have been religious around here for decades. Where do you think you are?"
"A theocracy ruled by an unelected and unaccountable figurehead, who's only possible claim to legitimacy is the same religious book that bans ursury?"
"Shut up. Again. I find you guilty, off to debtors prison with you."

One such tactic is the violent beating of union leaders who dare speak out for better working conditions
This is terrible. Everyone knows the beatings are reserved for people who want democracy or not to live under a Catholic dictatorship. We would beat the Greeks as well, but they have all mysteriously disappeared after giving all their money, property and possessions to the local bishop.

It seems that my decision to move from the gold standard to a bimetallic standard has begun to pay off.
This should be a disaster, going onto Bimetallism right before the gold rushes at the end of the 19th century. But this is the Victoria II economy where artisans can use fruit to make tanks, so I am sure it will be fine. Sadly.

Ceterum censeo ut liberam Graecia esse

"Leviticus 25."
"....shit. Not another one. They really shouldn't read the bible in schools..."

Clearly the economic revitalisation of the nation is...god's will.

I do wonder how the ideas of Christian charity will interact with unions, socialism, unchecked capitalism etc.

Maybe paternalism on a grand scale?
The more left-leaning elements of the Curia definitely aim for paternalism; I can see them turning into rogue servitors, to use Stellaris parlance. The push for a representative movement is still not an option as things stand
I was all ready to be snarky about Cardinal Trinca's naivete, but then he turned out to have a lot of success at pushing through incremental reforms to make lives better.
Trinca has been trying his best and has obtained some success in improving people's lives. How this will work in the long term is another question.
Papal debtors prisons you say? I imagine the court cases are fun;

"Leviticus 25."
"Shut up, you know we have been religious around here for decades. Where do you think you are?"
"A theocracy ruled by an unelected and unaccountable figurehead, who's only possible claim to legitimacy is the same religious book that bans ursury?"
"Shut up. Again. I find you guilty, off to debtors prison with you."

This is terrible. Everyone knows the beatings are reserved for people who want democracy or not to live under a Catholic dictatorship. We would beat the Greeks as well, but they have all mysteriously disappeared after giving all their money, property and possessions to the local bishop.

This should be a disaster, going onto Bimetallism right before the gold rushes at the end of the 19th century. But this is the Victoria II economy where artisans can use fruit to make tanks, so I am sure it will be fine. Sadly.

Ceterum censeo ut liberam Graecia esse
"....shit. Not another one. They really shouldn't read the bible in schools..."

Clearly the economic revitalisation of the nation is...god's will.
Well nobody reads Leviticus anyway, it's full of weird measures about shellfish and pigs and whatnot. Italian cuisine would not survive the impact with such a calamity.

Chapter XLIV: Float Like a Battleship, Sting Like an Eight-Nation Coalition
From the personal diaries of Pope Innocent XV

Thursday 27th of January 1898
Today's main news came from China of all places and crushed my hopes of doing any important work. The savages decided to massacre as many foreigners as they could find in their lands; I have been told that particular barbarity was aimed at missionaries and the flocks that they had converted away from the native superstition. Officially this attack was orchestrated by a secret society made up of peasants and petty bandits but there is a clear indication that the Qing government facilitated these murders. I had placed much hope in Emperor Zaitian and the preachers I had sent to advise him, but it seems that this was not sufficient to stop this madness. Given that I have not received word from said missionaries and the palace refuses to offer any comment, it is safe to assume that I will not hear anything more from those men.
Now the dowager empress pulls the strings in Peking and given the rebels' slogan of "Support the Qing, destroy the foreigners", it can be assumed that there is no point in peaceful negotiations.
I have received messages from the British, German, American, Russian, French, Japanese, and Austro-Hungarian governments and there is unanimous agreement that these atrocities cannot go unanswered and, given the Qing government's resistance to dialogue, military action is warranted. In a surprising act of unity against barbarism, a coordinated expedition is being organized to force the Chinese to negotiate reparations and disband these so-called Boxers. The British, Japanese, and Russians will form the vanguard of this expedition since they already have bases in the region, the rest of us will arrive later on and dismantle whatever resistance may remain. I've sent word to admiral Filangieri to bring the entire Italian fleet to Nice where he will pick up our expeditionary force of forty-two thousand soldiers before heading to the East. For a short moment, I considered only sending the fleet with no land force, but I thought better of it; it would be much more advantageous if I could have a stronger negotiating position when the time comes, we owe it to the many Catholics killed in these days to return Christ to this troubled land.

rBxDvdZl.jpg

In the meantime, I have returned to my morbid thoughts. Although my health is as good as ever, I can't help but think about the succession, despite that decision being securely out of my hands. As my election has shown, even a long-time protégé is not guaranteed to win his post but papal support certainly can't hurt someone's chances, especially with my papacy's relative calm on the political front.
If I were to pass away today, I think Felicetti would be the man for the job, but he is two years my senior, and I can't see that being a good choice in the long term. I don't believe that he would even want to be a transitional pope, it would be far too humble a place for him. Surprisingly enough, every other potential candidate was created cardinal by me, there are a handful of us left who had personal dealings with Callixtus and the like. Maybe it is for the best. Fatta and Trinca now merge experience with life expectancy and there is much to be said about both their performances. However, Fatta makes me uneasy with his more violent ways and Trinca seems to me too socialist for the job. I am placed between two extremes with little to push me in one direction or another. But then I could simply not choose and let God make his own decision as I wait for his evaluation of my work.
I should not think so much about these things, there is work to be done in the morning. I always dread meeting with generals, even though I should have gotten used to these talks by now. I'm sure it will be fine, it usually is.

Thursday 5th of May 1898
It seems that the Chinese mission has produced some troublesome effects despite the good auspices it started under. Our own expedition has arrived in the Gulf of Tonkin just off the coast of French Vietnam and admiral Filangeri had absolutely no trouble in dispatching the worm-eaten pair of Qing frigates that came to oppose him. Given that there does not seem to be any danger lurking in the area, I gave the order to disembark and secure the island of Hainan and protect any missionaries that may have survived. As always with these barbarians, the news of massacres continues to pile up with entire villages that had converted to Christianity being butchered by the senseless rabble. I have taken special care to caution our soldiers to refrain from looting and indiscriminate reprisals no matter what crimes they experience, we must give the example to these savages that they need not only know barbarism and salvation lies in Christ.

XdhplP0l.jpg

In more worrying news, it seems that the French are itching for another war and doing their best to have us attack first. They continue to send small ships against our fleet to harass and taunt us in the hopes that someone might lose their nerve and shoot back. Not only that, but they have begun to practice military exercises on the Vietnamese coast with the clear intention of sizing up our forces and I'm sure they would be overjoyed if they could keep a significant proportion of the Italian army half a world away. I have asked Felicetti to attempt to improve the diplomatic situation but there is little to be done against a nation that attempts to provoke conflict with its every action.
I am sick and tired of all these wars in the Alps. Every time the French and Austrians threaten our sovereignty and every time we are forced to lose thousands of good men to hold them back. If I had the hope that one day they could be finally broken, then I would look forward to one last hurrah, but the French seem to think that their vast African empire entitles them to the same behavior in Europe. I am tempted daily to excommunicate Kaiser Franz and put him in his place, but I feel that such an act would be a step too far and I would lose my credibility as Pope if I used my religious role to further simple political goals. Then again, the excommunication of Napoleon did nothing for Pius VII so I might be overestimating the power of my religious office.
As long as the Chinese crisis lasts, I will try and hold things together for as long as possible; after that, I will pray that fewer men die this time than the last. A sad prayer to make.

Monday 13th of June 1898
Today I managed to close the book on the Chinese question, and everyone can go on to focus on more important issues. With the Qing pressed on all sides, there was no way out for them but surrender and an agreement to reparations. There was a brief discussion around a continuation to the war to possibly gain some territorial concessions but the tense climate back in Europe convinced most of the major powers to accept the deal we were offered. A number of unfortunate Qing scapegoats were executed, and the concubine Cixi remains firmly in control of the country while the so-called boxers were finally purged, as is often the case. As for the expeditionary powers, most received a significant indemnity to make up for the lives lost and I managed to use our occupation of Hainan as a bargaining chip to guarantee the free and unimpeded access of Catholic missionaries to the whole of China in the hopes of finally civilizing these people who so stubbornly refuse enlightenment.
In the end, it is Japan who has gained the most out of this by prying Korea away from the dying Empire and into the sphere of the rising one. It is no stretch to imagine that the Japanese, late as they are for the colonization of Africa, will construct colonies of their own on the neighboring continent and gain international clout in that way. If this war has proven anything, it's that Europe is far too busy at home to concern itself with the Far East more than is absolutely necessary and it is happy enough to grant its dominion to a power that has so rapidly joined the concert of civilized peoples.

nrxAq5ol.jpg

Looking closer to home, Felicetti has managed to hold France back for the time being, although I'm sure it's not a permanent solution. He did what he does best and managed to stir up a political conflict within the government which has dissuaded our rivals from immediate action. With the whole charade set to last for a few months at the very least, I have recalled Felicetti to Rome to ask him if there is some way to permanently neutralize the threat, if anyone can find it, it's him. I wish him a long and healthy life far beyond my own years; in that way, he would be the perfect successor and no unpleasant choices would need to be made. I juggled Trinca and Fatta in my mind again today and again I cannot bring myself to endorse any one of them. Perhaps old Boniface III was right in forbidding discussions of conclave while the pope still lives; that attitude would certainly give the pope some peace of mind.
But I must not wallow in this feeling, though old I am still healthy and can enjoy the pleasures that life gives us in the nation I have led for over twenty years. I must call a ball or a feast with the kings, a victory celebration against the Chinese, and a balm for my weary soul.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The more left-leaning elements of the Curia definitely aim for paternalism; I can see them turning into rogue servitors, to use Stellaris parlance.
I think grand paternalism could prove very popular in the Church, State and general population. Simialr schemes in industrialised nations from private individuals hood near universal praise and acclaim in the period, so at least someone in Italy is going to propose the Church do this, maybe as a way to stay relevant.
The push for a representative movement is still not an option as things stand
It really can't be, as the Pope is the divinely appointed head of the Church and also the ruler of the State. Unless they eventually separate the state out into government head and ceremonial State head (that is, seperate faith and state...which is unlikely for obvious reasons).
Well nobody reads Leviticus anyway, it's full of weird measures about shellfish and pigs and whatnot.
It's probably the most read section of the bible after genesis. For that exact reason, all the laws are in it.
In a surprising act of unity against barbarism
Mm. Nothing to do with every great power realising they can gain power over the largest market in the world without anyone stopping them (because they're all going to do it together).
For a short moment, I considered only sending the fleet with no land force, but I thought better of it; it would be much more advantageous if I could have a stronger negotiating position when the time comes, we owe it to the many Catholics killed in these days to return Christ to this troubled land.
See above.
In the end, it is Japan who has gained the most out of this by prying Korea away from the dying Empire and into the sphere of the rising one. It is no stretch to imagine that the Japanese, late as they are for the colonization of Africa, will construct colonies of their own on the neighboring continent and gain international clout in that way. If this war has proven anything, it's that Europe is far too busy at home to concern itself with the Far East more than is absolutely necessary and it is happy enough to grant its dominion to a power that has so rapidly joined the concert of civilized peoples.
Unless the british keep them to an alliance, trouble is brewing on the horizon. Hell, even if Britain keeps the alliance (no one seems to like France and they are cruising for a bruising).

It's a shame the pope is Catholic. Otherwise, the british would be your best friends. Small, weak regional power holding every great conteintal power in balance and away from each other. No ambitions near british interests, aside from the Med. And nice, stable monarchal governments to build relationships with...

Shockingly non-racist discussion of a people so often lumped in with other East Asian ethnicities.

He did what he does best and managed to stir up a political conflict within the government which has dissuaded our rivals from immediate action.

Ooh what fun! Would love to hear more about this.