• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I’m interested to see how and when Austria makes its first intervention. Vienna’s going to be more than a little wary watching all of this.

Yeah, I would love to see what various goverments reaction to the papal states are. Britian would be bemused and a little angry, probably take the oppuritny to kick the Irish or something. France must be delighted to not have to waste an army defending Rome anymore and also the idea of chaos and confusion in Italy and potebtially austria. Austria meanwhile must be annoyed, both because Catholicism is a complex issue for them and because italy is also. Both then showing up in the balkans would presumably be the last straw...

Well this really has the potential for a real conflagration. It is terrifying, actually, as every Great Power has a stake - Austria and France are obvious, Russia must have a view of a Papal seizure of a fellow Orthodox region (and close to the Black Sea), Britain will be furious and the Ottomans, dear God the Ottomans...

Well...a victory and expansion of power for the first time in a long while, but despite papal peloponnesia being very defensible, I wonder on the wisdom or use of such a possession. What exactly does the pope and papal states gain from this, aside from precedent to commit war again?

Austria remains terrifyingly large in Northern Italy and you're going to need some solid, overwhelming alliances to get them out. But if the minor Italian states can be gained, and the two major ones allied and subverted, slowly if needs be, there remains hope. France has to be kept as an ally however, and honestly the pope would do well to get the british and russians on side as well if possible. But france is key, for without her, austria or sicily can roll up the papacy by themselves.

It's not so much a strategically important war (the bounty is mostly hostile peasants) but it's the diplomatic equivalent of saying "this isn't your grandma's Papacy, we will stab you if given the chance". And France going along with it makes the Pope look a lot bigger than he is but this means that they have to be held close lest the rest of Europe get annoyed

Sounds like matters became suddenly quite urgent. Britain and Russia linking up must have been a nasty shock.
It really shouldn't have been. The Czars had pretensions to be the Defender of the Orthodoxy (Russian not Greek, but the point stands) while much of the British upper classes had a distinct Hellenophile tendency. If anything the shock is them giving up so early without pushing the Pope back out of Greece, but one cannot expect too much of the Vicki AI (well you can, but you will always be disappointed. ;) ).

"I understand that decisive victories are needed if the bloodshed is to end." - You can see why Cardinal Aloisi is a favourite of the Pope, he lacks the insight to work out that the best way for the bloodshed to end would be the Papal States not going on unprovoked wars of aggressive conquest.
Yeah, I was wondering when the russians would show up, it was only a matter of time (which is why earlier I asked if the papacy was trying to claim the mandate of orthodox protection in the ottomans rather than them). As for the british, they do love their Greek, enough for various heirs to go fight and die for their independence...though not enough to really do anything officially. Indeed, officially, the british were hardly nice to Greece all the way through the 19th century and all through ww1 too. But the british are generally unpleasent to smaller Mediterranean nations so this was not really out of character.

It was certainly an unexpected team-up since Greece wasn't in anyone's sphere but apparently in everyone's interests. I interpret the Russians "giving up" as them being more concerned with putting down the Hungarian revolt with the Austrians and generally keeping a good reserve ready to counteract the chaos of 1848.
Aloisi is a simple man, he never expected to get this far and he's just happy to be along for the ride. He actually buys the casus belli of defending Catholics in the region so a victorious war is the best way to make everyone happy again.
The British mostly intervened from their Ionian colonies and would never turn down a free island so it makes sense that they would be annoyed at someone else trying to take their delicious land.

A successful conquest of a nice halfway point between Rome and the Holy Land, could be useful if a future, far more powerful Papacy decides to liberate Christ's home from the Ottomans (with the aid of a mighty bloc of allies of course)...
I feel like they'd have to at least annex Italy first. They need to be at least a decent secondary power for everyone to bother helping them beyond stopping austria or sicily from eating them. They need to build a fleet that can patrol half the med if they want the holy land. They need an army two or three times the size as well...and all the allies on top.

It just seems like a pointless grab compared to the main goal of italy, in universe. In game, it makes sense.

The Papacy is definitely not yet in a condition to go for the Holy Land though I think the though makes Urban drool.
Italy is definitely needed but Urban doesn't have much in the way of unitary ambitions. That's a thing for liberals, he just wants the Papal States to be strong and respected.

Reassuring to see the Vicky engine sort of knows what it’s doing and eventually sent the British and the Russians after you. France and Rome beating up on Greece together for little appreciable reason would no doubt cause one hell of a stir around the conference tables. Is Louis Napoleon in yet? I forget but it would make sense. Wonder whether this will all lead to a slightly accelerated Crimea in a few years, or something like it. Going after those Holy Land privileges will probably seem like a nice little prize now that the gloves are off…

Out of interest, are the Whigs in in Britain? Palmerston’s not going to like this at all.

Considering the state that Greece was in for OTL, it's nice to see that the French, British and Russian parties reached their violent conclusion. Louis Napoleon is still president at this point but he will figure more prominently in the next twenty or so years. The annexation of the Peloponnese is going to have long-reaching effects although, as mentioned above, the Holy Land is still a way off.
Palmerston is fuming in the Foreign Ministry and is very unhappy with how the war, and the European revolutions, turned out. Self-determination is not an end result of this 1848.

crimea is going to be different if the pope is in the mix and russia and britian just fought a war together against France's allies interfering in the balkans...and lost.
I’m interested to see how and when Austria makes its first intervention. Vienna’s going to be more than a little wary watching all of this.

Crimea and the Balkans as a whole are going to be interesting as usual.
Austria was distracted by all the revolutions but they are going to be rather more attentive when the dust settles.

Yeah, I would love to see what various goverments reaction to the papal states are. Britian would be bemused and a little angry, probably take the oppuritny to kick the Irish or something. France must be delighted to not have to waste an army defending Rome anymore and also the idea of chaos and confusion in Italy and potebtially austria. Austria meanwhile must be annoyed, both because Catholicism is a complex issue for them and because italy is also. Both then showing up in the balkans would presumably be the last straw...

I'm sure that several Irish will be punted off to another continent just for British pride. Incidentally, I've come to think of the Peloponnese as the Papal States' Northern Ireland because boy are there going to be issues.
Austria is unhappy with the whole situation since they had to waste resources putting down rebellions and now they are met with a new Emperor and a precarious Europe.

Well this really has the potential for a real conflagration. It is terrifying, actually, as every Great Power has a stake - Austria and France are obvious, Russia must have a view of a Papal seizure of a fellow Orthodox region (and close to the Black Sea), Britain will be furious and the Ottomans, dear God the Ottomans...

The Ottomans have not yet manifested their displeasure but the situation in the Balkans has become quite a lot warmer.

Chapter X: Procuring the Means of Production
From the personal diaries of Cardinal Libero Cappellini

UESljIo.jpg

Wednesday 10th March 1847

I feel that the work of my last weeks is finally coming to fruition. I managed to convince a sizable number of the more illustrious families in Rome and some of the better off artisans to join me in a tour of the experimental facilities I had set up at the Pope's behest. While most were hesitant in joining me on the new Rome-Ostia railroad, I succeeded in enticing them onboard after getting in my seat and riding along for a few meters without any of the boilers exploding (avoiding a repeat of New Year's test). The ride itself did not provide many occasions for conversation as the engine roared all the way through with the drivers doing their utmost to show what their machine is capable of. It succeeded in reaching a staggering forty kilometers per hour which sickened some of the older gentlemen but positively exhilarated me and several others. Upon arrival, I took a moment to illustrate the functioning of the locomotive with the help of Alessandro who, as chief engineer, proceeded to rattle off several main cities and how the time to reach them would be greatly shortened if only the infrastructure could be built. I thanked Alessandro and asked him to lead us to the experimental station whose material had been the hardest to obtain as it had to be shipped all the way from Britain at no small expense and hard work from my agents in London.

The small warehouse was divided into three sections which each served to present a different means of production in order to cater to the different investors present. First, we came to the agricultural devices which were of greater interest to those nobles whose main form of property consisted of vast grain fields in Latium and Central Italy. We had just managed to arrange for limited demonstrations of the efficacy but my assistants and I did our best to impress upon those present how much more efficient the new reaping machines were when compared to a single peasant with a scythe. Those with larger silvan properties were targeted in a second room by a demonstration of a state-of-the-art mechanical saw whose utility would be greatest in the working of raw lumber but could also be used to great efficacy in the more speedy production of simple furniture. This last point piqued the interest of the merchants but it was the final room that was designed specifically for them. Opening the door gave way to an infernal clacking from the large array of women working at the modern mechanical looms which were functioning at a prodigious speed while requiring only minimal attention from the operators. Despite this convenience, the quality of the end product was as good as any that can be bought in markets around the state.

The noise of the ambiance was soon matched by the excited comments shared by those on the tour, a sign which I took advantage of to lead them back out into calmer air. When we exited the building and returned to the relative quiet of the outside world, Alessandro and I were peppered by questions about costs and efficiencies and durability of these contraptions which we answered patiently and, I think, managed to obtain a certain degree of optimism towards the innovations.

While I waited for the last few stragglers to board the train, I was approached by Andrea, now governing the family estate instead of father, who introduced me to the Count Barberini. In the few moments we shared, he praised my presentation and pledged his support to the cause by claiming that he would collect funds for the construction of a small textile factory with the hopes of extending it to a fully operational one on the French or English model.

I am still unsure whether the Count was sincere in his promises but it is certainly a good sign that he would choose to talk to me directly about the venture. I will certainly follow up on the recent trip to Ostia with another round of balls and dinners to ensure that the idea of industrializing is never far from the minds of Rome's wealthy and maybe, with some work, we may catch up to the rest of Europe.

Tuesday 14th November 1848

Nothing is working. I have tried everything that has crossed my mind: meetings, demonstrations, loans and all of the patience I could muster. But, at every turn, I've been thwarted and pushed back.

First were the revolutions. I didn't resent them so much at first, most were against excessively oppressive governments who should learn to respect their subjects. This feeling subsided as soon as it became known that the foot soldiers of these movements came from the innovators in the cities and those disenfranchised workers who control the very machines I am trying to incentivize. This already cut down on many of those who would have otherwise supported my plans.

The coup de grace to my hopes came when Urban declared his renewed Fourth Crusade. I still cannot fathom why he would waste the Papacy's limited resources on a foreign adventure to subjugate a people that do not want us, but that is the case. I burst with so much rage that day that I walked out into the woods until the sun set upon me and I was forced to ask for hospitality in a small cottage I found along the way. This conflict has sapped any surplus liquidity that might have been invested and having Britain as an adversary has only made the importation of advanced machines more arduous. Even Andrea has gone back on his plans because he says that anything he earns goes straight into taxes and is dashed against the Greek shores. I've written time and time again to Cardinal Mastai Ferretti in the hope that he could change the Holy Father's mind but all I received from him was a resigned agreement that this war is not needed with the hope that some good might come out of this.

I will try to redouble my efforts with the few potential investors that I have left but I fear that even this won't stop the tide of misfortune that this project seems to attract.

Sunday 26th May 1850

I have just received a letter from the Pope saying that my services in promoting industry are no longer needed. The agents that I was assigned have been relocated to the Peloponnese to set up a skeletal bureaucracy among those people of a different language and a different faith.

I can only hope that the couple dozen investors I have managed to recruit to the cause will continue even without my assistance.

I will be retiring to my home in the next months and hopefully, my services will remain unnecessary for a good long while.

The change from his enthusiasm at the start of these entries to the disillusionment at the end is very stark indeed.

The first entry reminded me of an anecdote I’ve mentioned before on here, but which seems appropriate in this instance, where a 19th century Cambridge college master declared that the coming of the railways to the city would “displease God”. Evidently our esteemed cardinal has no such scruples.

Having the Greek adventure bring all of this work to ruin feels telling of the fact that there will be more than a few voices in Rome who regret the Holy Father’s newfound taste for foreign conquest.

It sounds like they are biting off a lot more theh can chew and sinking a lot of costs into Greece that they will never get back...

The coup de grace to my hopes came when Urban declared his renewed Fourth Crusade. I still cannot fathom why he would waste the Papacy's limited resources on a foreign adventure to subjugate a people that do not want us, but that is the case.
Urban went with that name for his Greek Adventure? Dredging up the history of any crusade is risky, but to pick the Fourth was a.. courageous... choice.

Cappellini does indeed come across as a broken man by the end, but then he had picked an awkward mission; Industrialisation and reactionary-Catholicism are uneasy bedfellows at the best of times. And these are very much not the best of times.

Urban went with that name for his Greek Adventure? Dredging up the history of any crusade

Well...it certainly did destroy greece, so at least it fits descriptivley.

Hello everyone. I apologize for my lateness in posting but work has been a little hectic last week. You should have the new chapter sometime tomorrow!
Now, without further preamble, the comments!

The change from his enthusiasm at the start of these entries to the disillusionment at the end is very stark indeed.

Having your work rendered vain will do that to you. It’s not the best time for Cappellini I’m afraid

The first entry reminded me of an anecdote I’ve mentioned before on here, but which seems appropriate in this instance, where a 19th century Cambridge college master declared that the coming of the railways to the city would “displease God”. Evidently our esteemed cardinal has no such scruples.

Having the Greek adventure bring all of this work to ruin feels telling of the fact that there will be more than a few voices in Rome who regret the Holy Father’s newfound taste for foreign conquest.

The quote still works well even under a new Pope. Urban doesn’t really resist these advances on principle but has his eyes on other priorities.
Greece is and will remain controversial. Urban was elected by glory-seeking factions of the Curia but, to quote Manzoni, “was it true glory? Posterity, thine be the hard decision”

It sounds like they are biting off a lot more theh can chew and sinking a lot of costs into Greece that they will never get back...

Greece sends a loud political message but unfortunately it’s mostly filled with peasants of little value. The next chapter will shine a spotlight on the Papacy’s new lands

A very disapointing setback for industry in Italy but I have no doubts it will all be worth it once the Medeterranian becomes a Papal lake!

The Mediterranean is currently a shark infested sea with the Pope only a small fish. I’m sure Urban’s most secret dreams include a Mare Meum

Urban went with that name for his Greek Adventure? Dredging up the history of any crusade is risky, but to pick the Fourth was a.. courageous... choice.

Cappellini does indeed come across as a broken man by the end, but then he had picked an awkward mission; Industrialisation and reactionary-Catholicism are uneasy bedfellows at the best of times. And these are very much not the best of times.
Well...it certainly did destroy greece, so at least it fits descriptivley.

Fourth crusade is not the official name, just Cappellini being snarky and bitter. Urban is a character but he does have some diplomatic sense in him yet.

As I mentioned above, Urban’s reaction needs some industrial strength to it but is not a central priority. I think Cappellini saw his task as much larger than what it was really intended to be.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter XI: On Greek Neck an Italian Yoke
From the personal diaries of Cardinal Giovanni Maria Mastai Ferretti

Ub4W0qHl.jpg

Monday 17th of June 1850

I must admit, I am quite enjoying this Greek adventure even if it did start fairly suddenly. I confess that I had and still have my misgivings about the invasion but this voyage has brought me considerable personal pleasure even if I do think back to poor Cardinal Cappellini from time to time. As soon as the war ended, on the same day, I received Urban's letter with the request to move to Nafplion as soon as possible, and Libero's letter filled with what I assume he considered bile towards the Pope. The man is rather pleasant to be around but should really work on some better insults though his disappointment at the loss of his assignment was palpable.

I set off from the port of Ancona on Tuesday on a ship that was actually called the "Jason", not "Argo", "Jason". I'm not sure which kind of person has the classical knowledge to remember that Jason is a sailor but forget the name of his ship. Either that or the good name was already taken by a speedier captain who I did not have the pleasure to meet.

The trip itself proved to be a pleasant affair and I spent it in the company of this journalist from Milan who had come late in his aim to report on the war. He was quite witty and his writing had a certain lyricism about it so much so that I'm curious to read what he will come up with. Alas, the length of the voyage did not give us enough time to get better acquainted but the encounter seems to me like a good omen.

We arrived at Corinth two days ago and I got my first experience of the country. We entered the port filled with small fishing ships quite similar to those at home and were greeted by innumerable white cubic houses on the surrounding hills like the table of a particularly messy gambler. It hadn't rained in many days and dust covered everything and blew into the sea with only a few timid plants that struggled to grow within the burnt ground. I spent the rest of the day in a pleasant visit of the town and its ruins which I found interesting but the comparison with Rome is certainly unflattering, though one could say that for any city. I do remember having an excellent coffee in a little bar along the coast, the cup was filthy but the piratical old man who owned the place convinced me to try the beverage and I was amazed by its quality. This is certainly an aspect of the country that I will have to take advantage of.

After this meeting, my curiosity led me to talk a while with a few of the locals on their religious beliefs and, though my expectations were low to begin with, I found ample hostility toward the Catholic faith. When I questioned my companions with which difference between Orthodoxy and Catholicism caused this frustration, I was generally met with embarrassed mumbles and at best a complaint in relation to a bland eucharist. I would hope that this ignorance will allow for the possibility of a wider conversion and that such a process may aid in sealing the rift between our peoples.

I recovered in Corinth for a full day and left for Nafplion the next morning. During the long bumpy carriage ride, I met a primarily bucolic countryside filled with olive groves and diligent farmers in their daily battle with the harsh soil as if the last couple thousand years had not dared to touch this singular region. The simple progress we've made in the Papacy must seem positively revolutionary to these people. I can already anticipate that it will be quite a struggle to integrate such a curious land.

I arrived in Nafplion late last night and I've spent most of today in an exploration of the old Venetian fortress and the ruins of Argos while fruitlessly trying to find a modern Diomedes among the crowd. In the city itself, I required a significant mental shift to get used to the modern pronunciation of Greek and I long wondered what had possessed these people to pronounce an upsilon as an f. I have to concede that the modern accent certainly has artistic merit since the new inflection would succeed in making Sophocles cry and Aristophanes laugh uncontrollably. I might be too harsh due to the late hour but I will manage to give a more balanced judgment in the coming months. I should give thanks to Urban for the gift of such an interesting experience, his strange war may yet have proved useful.

Monday 9th of September 1850

I have grown to respect the Greek people and their resilience even if it is all to my detriment. My attempts to build a functioning bureaucracy have been slow at every turn since a majority of the Greeks refuse to help us and barely any Italians choose to migrate to a region that offers few novel job opportunities. The locals have not only refused to help the administration but actively hinder the organization of the province. Recent estimates indicate that the so-called Greek Liberation Movement includes about a quarter of all the population of the Peloponnese and has been engaging in acts of sabotage and threats against the few Italian immigrants. I've heard reports of everything ranging from beatings in the night to a simple boycott of Italian shopkeepers. Evidently the flame that started this war still burns bright and shows no signs of dying down. I've personally only received dirty looks and fortunately, things have not escalated but I am reasonably sure that this will not be a brief process.

The central office I have set up here in Nafplion is mostly staffed by members of the old Hellenic administration and they provide a reluctant but functional basis for the whole system. Their reluctance makes them acceptable for the administration of the city itself but they resist my attempts at expansion and my own letters to the Corinthians proved rather less effective than the originals. As such, I've had to travel throughout the Peloponnese and personally set up small centers and guide them until they become self-sufficient.

I'm most proud of how things worked out in Sparta although that isn't saying much. There isn't a lot left of the old settlement and the inhabitants are significantly less bellicose than their reputation would imply. The new settlement is surprisingly modern due to the plan that young King Otto chose and there is a bit of a confusing Germanic feel with wide streets lined by towering trees that sort the town into neat squares. I spoke with a number of the Germans who live there and they told me that the town was intended to house one hundred thousand inhabitants, certainly something to keep in mind for new Italians. In any case, it was these Germans, with their innate love for efficiency, who most aided me in setting up the governmental structure. In only a couple of days, I had a dedicated core of Bureaucrats ready to spread out in the region to gather the information required for proper governance.

I had to leave that picturesque group of clerks to their work since mine called me to still further areas. Patras, Tripoli, Corinth, and Messenia all gave me the hostile stares and little collaboration that come with a foreign invader who tries to understand how to best tax a people. Now, back in Nafplion, I am sitting here with terrible aches from the travel as I wonder what more work I could do in this land. It's too late to think, I'll look for new ideas in the morning.

The situation between the newly arrived Italians and the extant German population seems rather cordial, which surprises me a little. How is Otto faring considering half of Greece has just been absorbed into the Papal domain?

This might lead to encouraging German immigration, which will make everything worse when the locals rub up against them and the kaiser starts getting invovled...

A very curious evolution of opinion

Well that was very positive, almost optimistic! Unless Cardinal Ferretti is being gently elastic with the truth for posterity's sake (unlikely as this is his personal diary).