• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It''s a superweapon.

Well atleast this WMD makes more sense than blowing planets up. A star is an explosion kept contained by gravity, disrupts that gravity and the star blows itself apart. Meanwhile a blowing up a planet would take such enormous energy that it makes no sense. Blowing up a star would be far easier.
Dont try to bring logic into video games. Silencers and quick scoping arent realistic either and shooters had these for decades.

Reactions:
A gravity suppressor makes a perfectly good planet killer, really. An object 12000 km wide with a speed differential of 3200 km/h between opposite sides is not going to have a happy time when the gravitational forces holding it together go away.
It may cause really bad earthquakes but it's not going to tear itself apart, also how do you get the a gravity suppressor into the heart of a planet? We've never even gotten through the crust. In fact the energy that you'd need to get to the core at any reasonable pace would already have killed everything on the planet.

Star eater? Whats next? Universe destroyer? Zeno sama would be pleased. Give me all the power!

Dont try to bring logic into video games. Silencers and quick scoping arent realistic either and shooters had these for decades.
I don't play shooters so I wouldn't know what any of those are but I've argued since before apocalypse that weapons that can destroy a star is more believable than weapons which can destroy a planet.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Amazing! Looking forward to this. My hope is the custodian mechanics are as fleshed out as the nemesis mechanics so we can have proper rivalries between egalitarians and xenophobes.

There will be a patch associated with Nemesis. Can't comment on what is fixed/isn't fixed/included at this point in time, however, there are at least some bug fixes included. :)
Well, its good to know that there will be a patch, although (as others have said) its a bit frustrating to be left in the dark on whether fairly major bugs have been fixed yet. [I get it that you aren't at liberty to say it yet.]

The bug that I cited for example: Galactic Law is a major feature of the free patch that came out alongside federation, and particularly impactive galactic laws that would place many empires in breach were a major features of the paid Federation DLC (such as Renegade Containment Doctrine, Universal Prosperity Mandate, etc.), as well as of course other stuff like the Juggernauts. The probably is that with the current bug with galactic law, being in breach of galactic law DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - even if you violate the conditions, you don't actually go into breach like you are supposed to and you don't get hit with the penalties/sanctions that you are supposed to. I reported this back when 2.8 came out, and was really hoping that we'd get a 2.8.2 patch to correct is, as a major part of the Federations DLC now does not work as advertised (because that part doesn't work at all). But as that 2.8.2 never came out, this feature has been broken for months now. That's why I'm so keen on hearing on whether this is fixed in 2.9/Nemesis or not - its quite off-putting to have my resolutions not work correctly, especially when I'm quite a fan of trying to use the 4th tier egalitarian resolution to penalize slavers, and overall demotivating.

I'd feel a lot better about Nemesis and getting it if I confidently knew that this issue had been fixed in the patch.

(There are a bunch of minor things that would also be on my wishlist, like the democracy leader bug being re-fixed after years, but the galactic law breach working again is the thing I'm really concerned about.)

Well, to be more positive on the end note, what you guys have teased on the opposite of the Nemesis (the Custodian referred to in the blurb) sounds really interesting and potentially highly aligned with my play styles, so IF (and that's a key if) the major bugs are fixed Nemesis could be an immediate buy.

EDIT: Also, I already have filed a bug report about the galactic law issue, months ago back in the 2.8.1 days I think.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just as I have generally good feeling about the patch, I have an equal sized and opposite feeling about the expansion.

It's bad. Obviously as people said the general "pick this ascencion perk and work your way up 4 tiers" is very underwheling and feels like a user mod. But that's not the main issue.

The biggest problem is that this expansion introduces yet another random "loose end" mechanics, unconnected to the rest of the game. Don't we have threat mechanic? Alliances and coalitions forming in response to threats. TW wargoals in response to owning a planet-killer? Why is the idea of becoming a crisis not integrated into these?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Very happy with this, but really hope it includes expanded egalitarian/liberation war/foment rebellions/promote ethics mechanics to counteract the menace. Ideally it's a superpower dichotomy with Menace/Custodian because the menace already has massive advantages for their ethics. It's actually not rigged for the egalitarians, so I'd like to make sure it doesn't feel rigged for the xenophobes. Ships for minerals is extremely powerful, so I hope they can't start their universal genocide super early cause that would just be frustrating as egals/xenos tend to need a bit more wind up time than genocidal slavers.

No one is going to get upset if you change that.
I think you're very biased in your perspective. (don't get me wrong, i like all the points you made.)
But Paradox also has to take into account potential new players and the more variety there is in the very basic concepts of the game the more people get lost. I personally know people who didn't get into the game, because it was too much to learn to get started. (they are not usually playing grand strategy games) To those people more detail-variety is even worse.

The rather simple planetary categorisation is very easy to understand. Making this more complex would make it better for veterans, but it would be an increased hurdle for newcomers.

A lot of people on this forum often forget that paradox also has to account for those people who do not have significant forum representation.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think you're very biased in your perspective. (don't get me wrong, i like all the points you made.)
But Paradox also has to take into account potential new players and the more variety there is in the very basic concepts of the game the more people get lost. I personally know people who didn't get into the game, because it was too much to learn to get started. (they are not usually playing grand strategy games) To those people more detail-variety is even worse.

The rather simple planetary categorisation is very easy to understand. Making this more complex would make it better for veterans, but it would be an increased hurdle for newcomers.

A lot of people on this forum often forget that paradox also has to account for those people who do not have significant forum representation.
I'm not a new player and i would be very wary of any changes to the ethic system other than allowing you to research more ethics points (a max of six). i'd be fine with "more fanatacism if you do society research" so I can be a fanatic egalitarian fanatic xenophile fanatic materialist in the end game without having to load a 6 ethics points mod at the start. Also, ability to research more civics points. But I would oppose anything that would CHANGE the ethics system as these really are the 6 main axes political ideas orbit around. Anything else would make the politics LESS real not more, and the ethics mods I've seen have all been entirely too much.

It would be nice if you actually fixed the existing crisises to actually work properly all of the time before this DLC.
It would, but they didn't.

Let's see if they do it alongside this DLC before casting aspersions, hmm? (If they don't, cast as many aspersions as you like.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting thought. What happens if you don't own the DLC...
Any changes to the AI of the "standard" crisis factions (other than reactions to DLC-only actions by young empires) will almost certainly be a free patch feature.

• 1Like
Reactions:
wonder when the release date is other than soon
They usually tend to release about 3-4 weeks after announcement.
However we usually get a lot more information in what the DLC will contain before or at the announcement than we've gotten for Nemesis, so I expect a week or two longer in this case.

• 1Like
Reactions:
They usually tend to release about 3-4 weeks after announcement.
However we usually get a lot more information in what the DLC will contain before or at the announcement than we've gotten for Nemesis, so I expect a week or two longer in this case.
Well we do know the nemesis-custodian mechanic is in and from the store screenshot it's clear that espionage is in as well.
Since the first contact improvements referenced espionage those are in too.

So we don't know if the new building mechanics are in. My guess would be that those are part of a regular new version while everything above is part of Nemesis.

Reactions: